Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:11 PM   #1

Hi All,

I was into a specialized Camera store today - have been leaning towards the S5 but the sales guy persuaded me to the Sony H9 - better camera (in his opinion) blah blah blah. If you were looking at the H7 vs. the H9 which one would you choose and why? I like the feel of the Sony in my hand whereas the S5 seemed clunkier. My only concerns on the Sonysare some of the proprietary features such as the battery and the storage - ie. memory stick vs. a more mass market storage media such as an SD card.

Thoughts/opinions?

Foxx

A Confused Camera Buyer
foxx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:33 PM   #2

foxx-

Many more H-9's have been sold than the H-7 camera. the main differences are the Size of the LCD: 2.5" on the H-7 and fixed, versus 3.0" and articulating for the H-9. The resolution is the same for both cameras. The price difference is usually around $(US) 60.00. Neither model has a hot shoe.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:13 AM   #3

Do you know if they've improved the flash recycle time on the newer Sony H's? The review here says it can take up to 17 seconds to recycle. The camera looks great, but that is the opposite of what I want.
joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:27 AM   #4

Joy-

I just ran a test with my Sony H-2. In the Auto Flash Mode it was able to take consecutive flashes at a hair less than 2 second intervals. Here is also a H-2 sample photo for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Administrator

joyelyse wrote:
Quote:
Do you know if they've improved the flash recycle time on the newer Sony H's? The review here says it can take up to 17 seconds to recycle. The camera looks great, but that is the opposite of what I want.
That was for the DSC-H5, and the key words are "up to". For example, Steve noted this in the DSC-H2 review:

Quote:
...with flash, the shot-to-shot rate was one every 1.8 to 16 seconds, depending on the distance to the subject and battery condition.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/h2_pg5.html

ISO speed and distance to subjectwill cause flash recycle time to vary. That's because the closer you are to a subject, the shorter the flash burst can be for proper exposure (so, the recycle time is faster). Some models also have more flash range compared to others.

ISO speed also impacts it (because a shorter flash burst can be used at higher ISO speeds). Lens brightness also impacts it, and with the majority of smaller models, lenses lose light as you zoom in more (so a longer flash burst is needed to illuminate a subject if you are zooming in a lot).

Battery type also influences it. As a general rule, models using smaller batteries (or 2 AA batteries versus 4 AA batteries) are going to take longer to recycle when everything else is equal between models (and it rarely is). Since the DSC-H2 and DSC-H5 fall into this category (only 2 AA batteries), recycle time will tend to be longer with a full power flash.

Sony switched to Lithium Ion Batteries with the newer DSC-H7 and DSC-H9. Dave Etchells clocked the recycle time from a full power flash from the DSC-H9 at 12.5 seconds:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H9/H9A6.HTM

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:23 PM   #6

JimC-

Thanks for clearing up the Flash recycle time equation. This morning with my H-2, I was using freshly charged NImH batteries and the flash to subject distance was about 9 feet, so that apparently allowed for the faster flash recycle time.

Sarah Joyce