Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2007, 8:41 PM   #1

Hi Guys,

I am newbie to dslr, want to buy and learn from it.

I am here so you guys can help me out in choosing one for me.

My bidget is pretty tight, max of 400$ i know getting a new one makes no sense with this kind of budget.

So First is should i buy a used or should i save some more and buy a new one

After reading some of the threads i were looking at Nikon D40 and Pentax k100 prices.

Thanks in advance for you help
venkatesht3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2007, 9:03 PM   #2

There's the Pentax K100D that B&H has for $399.95 (with the $50 mail-in rebate, that's $349.95) plus a Pentax 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 for $69.95. That adds up to $419.90, not counting shipping & handling, tax,or postage for the mail-in rebate.

If you can scrape together a few dollars more, you can get another lens.

If you don't mind getting a used dSLR, KEH.com has some Olympus E-300s for about $300. Unfortunately, their used Pentax dSLRs cost more than a new K100D after the rebate.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 9:24 PM   #3

Thanks a lot for your advice, in this case i can go for a new one, just wanted to know if Pentax k100d would be a better choice than Nikon 40 D??

Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:24 PM   #4

They're both very good cameras, but they each have their own benefits and drawbacks.

The biggest advantages of the Pentax K100D are it's built-in stabilization which helps in low light and especially at longer focal lengths, and it's ability to support older Pentax lenses which is nice if you already have some from an old SLR, but the prices have gone up quite a bit and it's getting hard to get good deals on used ones.

A drawback of the K100D is it's small frame buffer which restricts bursts to 7 shots when shooting JPG, and only 3 when shooting RAW. For regular shooting this usually isn't too bad, but for sports and other action shots it can be frustrating. Also, the camera does not do any noise reduction except on long exposures, so JPGs shot at higher ISO are noisier than on most other DSLRs. If you shoot RAW however, this is not an issue. You could also do the noise reduction on the computer yourself afterwards using a program like Noise Ninja which would probably look even better than the Nikon JPGs out-of-camera, but typically this is even more time consuming than processing RAW images.

The advantages of the Nikon D40 are it's excellent processing for JPGs, and the quality of the lenses available for it.

The most major drawback of the D40 is it's lack of a focus motor which means there's a limited number of lenses that will autofocus on the camera. Also, it only has 3 focus points and no top LCD (the one with just simple info like settings and shots left).

Between the two, I generally recommend the D40 because I feel it produces higher quality JPGs than the Pentax (at least at higher ISO), and because I think the lens selection on a budget is probably a bit better for the average consumer. In particular, I'd at the 18-135mm kit lens which I've read is very nice and provides a very versatile range, but perhaps some would dispute how good it is.

If it sounds like I'm being a bit harsh with the K100D, it's definitely not because I don't think it's a nice camera, I just think the average person would have an easier time getting high quality images from the Nikon. If you like shooting RAW though, and you think the stabilizer is very important, then Pentax has the advantage which is why that's the one I own.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:53 PM   #5

Corpsy has given you an excellent, honest answer-

I agree with what he has said. if your budget could be increased a bit to $550 or $600, that would give you a better start with a DSLR.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:07 AM   #6

I agree with Corpsy's assessment of your choices. He brought up the limited availability of lenses for the D40, and I'd like to elaborate on that. The Pentax has a very good selection of fast (large aperture) wide angle to medium telephoto lenses, but th eNikon has a better selection of telephoto lenses.

It really comes down to what you'll be shooting whether 'this feature' might be better for you and 'that feature' won't help you at all.

And, of course, a lot depends on how the camera feels in your hands. If you can't find the appropriate controls when you need them, then you'll miss shots you might otherwise have framed or even sold.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 6:09 AM   #7

Thanks a lot for your replies, Corpsy that was very clear reply was wondering what to do, i would now wait and buy a D40, thanks
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:32 AM   #8

I really do think that is a good decision. Even to just get started with a DSLR, you will need between $(US) 550.00 and $(US) 600.00. BTW there are over 40 lenses now available for the Nikon D-40 and more are being added all the time.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:55 PM   #9

Thanks for the help, very soon i will be getting one
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:15 AM   #10

venkatesht3 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the help, very soon i will be getting one

You won't be disapointed, I love mine.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote