Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1

I saw a 30D body only for $584.00 on the internet yesterday. That seems too good to be true. I'm leaning towards the 40D because of the improved benefits over the 30D. I have no problem spending the money for the best camera. What do you guys think? #30D or 40D?

Bob
no time is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:36 PM   #2

Not sure why I have not received any replies. Did I say something wrong here?
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:42 PM   #3

First off, I would not trust the offer of $584. The body only is selling from reputable online retailers for right around $1000 now. $584 is likely a scam and not to be trusted.

On paper, the 40d is a much improved camera than the 30D. But it hasn't been fully released yet and so far hasn't been reviewed. We're probably 2-4 weeks away from all that happening. But if you can swing the money and don't mind waiting another month I would receommend waiting for the reviews and some hands-on tests to verify there aren't any major problems.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:52 PM   #4
Administrator

no time wrote:
Quote:
I saw a 30D body only for $584.00 on the internet yesterday. That seems too good to be true.
It is (too good to be true). There is *very* little doubt that you are seeing a web site from a scam artist -- probably one of the very well known scam artists based in Brooklyn (where they seem to be able to get away with it), with a very nice looking web site with lots of impressive logos on it.

Post the vendor name and we can give you more info about them.

If a price looks too good to be true...

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:04 PM   #5
Administrator

Right this minute, the best price I see on a 30D body from a reputable vendor that I would trust is $989.95, unless you really believe you can buy one for less and want to be one of the scam artists' next victims (and of course, the low adveritised price from the scammers is designed to lure unsuspecting buyers in).

Canon EOS-30D Body for $989.95 at B&H

Suggested Reading:

How to buy a Digital Camera without being robbed

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:03 PM   #6

Thanks JohnG and Jim. I will wait for the reviews. I really like the 30D but I did not know what the 40D brought to the table at the time of my first post on here. I'm seeing the world of digital camers changing very quickly. I still have nothing to shoot with so I'm having to wait for more info before I buy. Just making sure I get a real good camera that will last 2 years or so. Thanks for the input. Jim, I will try to find the link and post it.

Bob
Old Sep 3, 2007, 4:40 AM   #7

i looked all over for the best deal i could find on a 30D a couple months ago and spent over $900 - and believe me, i looked. before buying a canon from anyone, you can go to the canon website and check the store you're thinking of buying from against their list of authorized dealers.

to quote an adage i've always found to be correct "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

btw, i love my 30d!

pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:10 PM   #8

Go for the 40D, or even the XTI, the sensor cleaning system makes a big difference, I have not noticed a big difference between the sensors in the pictures I have taken and compared, except that hightlits are better controlled on the 40D, color seems to beso close I can hardly tell the difference, but I don't have complet control over the environment.

for get the 30D, and the 5D might well be upgraded early next year is the overall guess.

newtimes is offline   Reply With Quote