Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1

I'm a graduate student researcher and I've been assigned the task of purchasing a camera for use in the lab.

Ideally, I would purchase the Canon Digital Rebel XT with a EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens, but my professor/advisor has different ideas.

She wants:
A camera that can be hooked up to the computer so that the settings on the camera can be adjusted via photoshop (or any other photo editing type program). Someone told me that I needed to get a camera that is TWAIN enabled, but I contacted several photo/video stores and they've told me that there aren't any cameras with interchangeable lenses that are TWAIN enabled, so now I'm at a loss.

I'd appreciate any help!!

bigtykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:41 AM   #2

Rebel XT/XTi will work. It comes with a remote capture program - you connect the camera to a PC and can change all (almost all) shooting settings on a computer screen. The final images are stored directly on a hard disk. There is no preview though.

Most Canon P&S can do the same and give a live preview on a computer screen. Canon PowerShot G7 looks like a nice camera. One of my clients uses an old PowerShot G2 connected to a PC to shoot jewellery.

What are you going to shoot with this setup?
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:48 AM   #3

Well, we run electrophoresis gels that separate DNA by their length. We then stain them using this chemical called Ethidium Bromide and then place the gel under a UV lamp that causes the EtBr to flourese. I need to take images of these gels under the UV light.

Could you tell me how this remote capture program work?

Btw, thanks for the information! I really appreciate it!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:12 PM   #4

When you connect your camera to a USB port and switch it on, the Canon Utility window pops up with a Remote shooting option. When you start a remote shooting session you get the window shown below. Depending on the camera shoting mode the options on the screen vary (e.g. in Manual Mode you will get options to change the aperture and shutter speed settings). Using the controls in this window you can change and fine tune Wight Balance, Metering mode, image size, ISO setting and exposure compensation using a mouse or arrow keys on a keyboard. AFAIK all Canon DSLRs support remote capture, including timed interval shooting (it's a good idea to use an AC adapter for this). Canon PowerShot G series cameras give you more or less the same options + a preview window on your screen and options to zoom the lens. Just set the camera on a tripod, connect it to your comp (it's possible to use extention USB cables, because the original cable isn't long enough) and shoot away. You can save your images on a local or a network drive for later editing.
With the gels in UV light you may need to play with filters a bit to get a better shot.
Years ago when we shot gels with an old film Olympus OM2 we used a red filter (I think it was red :-) ) to push a contrast a bit.
Also there is a DSLR Remote Pro prog that sells for US $95 and gives you a bit more control over the camera:
http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm

Hope this helps,
cheers,
Alex

Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:16 PM   #5

This information is awsome! Thanks so much!

Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:22 PM   #6

You are welcome.
It hurts me to say it, but imho if the main purpose of the camera is shooting gels - DSLR with a macro lens is great, but an overkill. You won't have a live preview and for publications PowerShot G7 will be more than enough and it's a nice camera by itself for other subjects :-)
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:34 PM   #7

Ooo.. You think it's overkill? Have you tried shooting gels (or something similar) with the PowerShot G7 before? I checked for the PowerShot G7 on B&H and it seems that it's been discontinued. Would you have any other suggestions?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:52 PM   #8

I haven't used G7 at all :-), haven't shot any gels for the last 10 years or so :-), but did use an old G2 to shoot earrings and rings - worked fine even with lousy fluorescent lighting and some WB tweaking.
By any means get a Rebel with macro lens, I just think that live view of a G camera might be handy. You can get G7 from Adorama for $510
http://www.adorama.com/ICAG7.html
You can also check Olympus DSLRs with live view - they might support remote capture as well, I simply don't know.
Cheers

PS. Canon announced a new G9 :-)
http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...070820_g9.html

Should be available from October for about $500 give or take :-)
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:32 PM   #9

Hi Alex,

It's me again. I'm still on the hunt for a good digital camera.

I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on the Canon Powershot S5 IS for gel imaging. Do you think the macro settings are good enough?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S_Digital.html

Thanks!

Taeko
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:33 PM   #10

Hi Alex,

It's me again. I'm still on the hunt for a good camera.

I was wondering if I could get your opinion on the Canon Powershot S5 IS for taking images of gels.

Thanks,

Taeko