Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:31 AM   #1

I live in Indonesia and the people are great subjects for photography. Unfortunately as soon as you point a camera at them they invariably ham it up for the shot.

I'm looking for a good quality camera 10 megapixels with an adjustable tiltable screen so I can get those candid shots of people going about their lives.

I looked at the Canon A640 but the reviews suggest it has a bad noise problem especially in low light.

Any ideas?

aslatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:27 AM   #2

Franky speaking , every cam has some problems or others.
If light is right most of the cam does an excellent job.
Whereas A-640 is concern , It does it work excellently. But as you have "specifically mention about low light".Most of the PS cam fall short in assigned job.You need to compromise somewhaere.Otherwise I feel my A-640 cam is an excellent cam within the given parameter.Wight wise very comfortable and well balanced ( I like my cam little heavy).
Rest assured if you do wish for candid photogrpahy,A-640 won't let you down.
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:16 PM   #3

I just want to mention that a long lens is not a bad way of getting candid shots. Instead of hiding the camera, consider staying far enough away from your subjects that they don't respond to your presence.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:05 PM   #4

I happen to agree with tclune-

An ultrazoom such as the Canon S-5IS or the Sony H-9 which both have IS and the requested tiltable screen would be more adapted to the task proposed by the OP.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:09 AM   #5

Well I tend to agree with tclune and Sarah, They have a very valid point.The recommended cam are excellent cam, I think only S5SI have OIS. Don't know about Sony H5.

So if ultra zoom is a critarial then You must see whather OIS is provided or not ,it is very helpful IMHO

mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 9:54 AM   #6

mcliu-

All of the Sony H-series cameras have OIS or IS, whichever you prefer to call it. So, they would be as equally able as the S-5IS in taking long distance candid photos. I actually would prefer the H-9 over the S-5IS, as it does have better design on tiltable LCD screen.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:37 PM   #7

I think the fully articulated Canon LCD is more appropriate for candid photography. The tilt-only screen on the Sony is good for waist level and over the head shots, but limited for candid photography IMO.

The only site I know of that actually includes stabilization effectiveness it their tests is dpreview. They have commented on every H series Sony they have tested that the stabilization isn't as effective as Canon and Panasonic. Since using an articulated screen for candid shots involves a less than perfect hold I would think stabilization effectiveness would be significant.

I don't see the noise problems you found in the A640. The A640 has better noise characteristics at ISO 400 than the A620, which had that excellent 7Mp Sony 1/1.8 sensor. And the low in-camera noise reduction makes it ideal for post processing with noise reduction software. Now that Fuji has discontinued their great 6Mp sensor I don't know of a non-DSLR camera on the market with better high ISO noise than the A640. An exception might be the Fuji F40, but that isn't in the same class for your purposes.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...0_a640-review/
and http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona640/page16.asp

The A640 isn't great in low light, but neither is anything else unless you want to go to a DSLR. The Fuji F40 is a little better, but it is a limited little P&S camera with no tilt screen.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:44 AM   #8

I've had a Kodak Z740 for a while now, and am ready to change it.

It uses a green light laser to auto focus with, which gives everyone prior notice I'm about to take a shot.

This is Especially compounded in low light conditions, where it lights up people's faces.

This results in the shot being ruined because someone decides to goof it up or hide their face etc.

Do any of these recommended cameras not emit a visible auto focus light?
Beerkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:39 AM   #9

Beerkan-

I just made a quick check among my cameras and the Fuji E-900 and the Kodak V-550 do not use a focus assist light.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:53 AM   #10

Thanks to everyone for your valued input. This really is a great way to doresearch before commiting. Very much appreciatedand now I have some more home work to do.
aslatter is offline   Reply With Quote