Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:28 PM   #1

I can see in this forum that a minimum of about 5-10people are quite interested in purchasing an EOS40D once itgoes out and tests show everything is OK.

If these 5-10 people are going at the same time to B&H or Calumet or any othergood shop and propose a group order, is there a probability of getting a good discount ?

Or marketing habits and narrow margins ignore these kind of group orders ? I use to do it with laptops with friends of mine and we could get as down as 20 pct.

The idea is simply to get a group discount reference number, and use it when purchasing the camera / lens. The 5-10 people do not have to show at the same time at the shop.

Phil
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:14 AM   #2

very interesting idea . I think next time I will use the same tacties.

thnx for insight
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:17 AM   #3

It's an interesting idea, but with margins being so slim on camera bodies, and initial demand for a new camera likely exceeding the supply, what benefit would the retailer get out of dropping the price for a group when they could sell the camera for full price one by one. Maybe a retailer would do something for an older camera (like the 30d when the 40d comes out), if there is still a big supply upon the replacements release, but that probably isn't likely (there being an excess supply).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:45 AM   #4

I am hearing that operationa margins on DSLR are quite large compare to P&S, and even larger on accessories.

This margin may entirely go towardon fabricant. I am not sure about the retailer.

Do you really think that demand can exceed offer at this price range ? I would be surprised but you are maybe right.
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:53 AM   #5

philgib wrote:
Quote:
Do you really think that demand can exceed offer at this price range ? I would be surprised but you are maybe right.
Oh I don't know - the mkIII is selling for $4500 and demand is still outpacing supply some 4 months later.

Absolutely demand will outpace supply for the first couple months.

It might be worth a try, but I agree chances are pretty slim your plan will succeed.

Also, people have been clammoring for a replacement to the 30d since about 1 day after the 30d specs were announced. So I anticipate demand to be enormous for this body. I think your plan would have a better chance a year from now but not right out of the gate.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:59 PM   #6

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
It's an interesting idea, but with margins being so slim on camera bodies, and initial demand for a new camera likely exceeding the supply, what benefit would the retailer get out of dropping the price for a group when they could sell the camera for full price one by one. Maybe a retailer would do something for an older camera (like the 30d when the 40d comes out), if there is still a big supply upon the replacements release, but that probably isn't likely (there being an excess supply).

Here in Toronto one store is doing just that with the 30D and the 40D isn't due out offically here till the 21st of September . It's selling for the cost of a Nikon D80 body or just under $1100.00 CAD. Not a bad deal for some oneon a tight DSLR budget, and who would rather save the extra $300.00 (CAD). And is sort of partial to Canon.

I'd ratherfoot the extra bills for a 40D.

The 40D is going for $1399.99 CAD. Which was how much the 30D went for when it first debuted last year. Not a bad deal.And a far cry from what Nikon wants for their D300 ($2099.99 CAD). A $700.00 difference. Not exactly chump change.

Hmmmm....:roll:

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote