Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:58 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

Sorry I think my first post in the canon section was in the wrong place...

Question, I've kinda talked myself into the Canon S5 IS instead of the digital Rebel since i'm just using it around home, holidays, Hunting photos, and making family photos 8 1/2 x 11 for the house etc...

One thing I like about the S5 IS is the 12x Optical Zoom which would be great for the hunting photos.

I also do work with digital camcorder and put photos in that as well for home movies etc.

Would you go with the 5IS as that is all the camera I would need, or would you recommend to go all out and get a DSL Rebel XTI?

I see futureshop is selling the older Rebel as well, but I'm sure if I went with the rebel option I would go with the 10 MEG newer one... unless you guys suggest otherwise.

Also, Walmart is carrying the S5 IS reg price for $529.00 canadian now, but I have the option of getting it for $449.00 this weekend on special.

Confused in Canada and looking for suggestions.

Anyone have input on this?

I'm thinking hang in there as it's not a needed purchase right this weekend and maybe I should spend the money and go all the way on the Rebel XTI on a boxing day special or something of that nature. You know when it's big savings and price blowout etc.

Currently using a 2.2 kodak (oh my god it hurts to type that <lol>

Vince
Vince00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:12 AM   #2

Vince-

I own both the Canon 350D/XT and the Canon S-5IS cameras.

The S-5IS is a very good camera choice, as it gives you a full 12X optical zoom (432mm at max zoom) which would be very expensive to obtain on the Canon 350D/XT camera. The Canon XT comes only with the 18-55mm Canon kit lens. To get out to even near 400mm, would require another lens costing nearly as much or more than the Canon S-5IS. I would guess that extra long zooming lens would cost $500 to $700 Canadian

The Canon S-5IS is not really a low light level environment shooting camera, so you will at some time in the future have to acquire an external flash, if you want flash coverage beyond 10 to 12 feet.

Considering your described needs, I would say that the Canon S-5IS is the much better choice between the two cameras, especially if you desire to keep your budget under control.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:26 AM   #3

I agree completely with mtclimber. There are a number of reasons to choose a dSLR over a superzoom, but you haven't mentionedany of them. The S5 IS has a long lens which would suit you, but some find that it isn't wide enough. You haven't mentioned anything that might lead me to believe that you would encounter that limitation in any significant way.

So good luck with the S5 IS.

And come back and post something. :-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:40 PM   #4

make it three. Sounds like the s5 is the right choice for you!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 3:02 PM   #5

Make it four ...

Seriously, if you don't know why you need a DSLR, you probably don't need it. a DSLR handles very differently from a digicam. They have advantages:
- faster to capture a shot
- better high iso performance (pictures without flash are easier to get)
- better image quality
- more expandability (can change the lenses any time you want)

But:
- they cost more in the long run (accessories)
- you have to use the viewfinder, you cannot use the LCD to frame a picture
- they have no video mode
- they are much heavier
- you will not have an articulated LCD like on the S5
- the same zoom as a S5 cost a lot of money (more than the camera itself) and will be very long and heavy.

So if your budget is limited to 500$, the obvious choice is the S5 IS. And for printing at 8.5x11, the S5 will more than enough.
Delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:35 PM   #6

Try to find Rebel with Sigma or Tamron ultrazoom lens. It will be not so expensive and you'll get comparable (with S5) zoom power and much better image quality.
SarahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:49 PM   #7

Count me as another vote for the S5 and that;s because I made this exact choice two months ago.

I had an S2 and love it. I considered the XTi and the Olympus E-510. The S5 is 70-80% of the dSLR's at somewhat less than 1/2 the money. Plus there's not much stuff to lug around.

I also agree with Sarah about the low light limitations on superzooms but I just ordered a 430EX for $228.00 US and that's a lot less than the 400mm Canon zoom lens.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy it.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 6:05 PM   #8

Thanks everyone... I just ordered the Canon S5IS and the IS starter kit (Bag, Charger, and batteries...)

This will be a HUGE step up from my Kodak 2.2 megapixel camera...

Looking forward to it arriving.

Thx for the help!
Vince

Vince00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 6:54 PM   #9

Thanks for the follow-up report, Vince-

I am sure that you will really enjoy the S-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:33 PM   #10

Vince,

If you'd like, my Canada, NYC at Dawn, Lake George and S5/S2 side by side galleries are all S5 in some very different conditions.

www.pbase.com/johngalt_ny

Good luck with your new S5. I think you'll like it.

JG

JohnGaltNY is offline   Reply With Quote