Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1

Guys, recently my beloved Sony V3 was lifted from me while on my trip of a lifetime. As I result, I am an unfortunate shopper for a new camera. I have decided that one of the new generation P&S cameras is all I need.

Let me say 1st, I am going to ignor money as I have enough points on my credit card to get any camera I want. Nice problem. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

I really liked my Sony V3 but it was just too big to slip my pocket. I wouldlike tmore than3X and see that Canon just released a number of cameras that fit this bill. I am not looking for an ultra zoom. 5 - 6 is fine. Also, Sony has both the DSC T100 and T200 that both have 5x zooms. I really don't know how to pick.

When I look at Canon's new offerings, I get very confused. I have always liked the G series cameras but then I see the A720is and wonder if I can't get the same quality pictures from it and save $. Again, I am not worried about the price, but if the cheaper does the same for less, the answer is simple. My problem is I am not technically smart enough to know the difference.

There is an awful lot to like in the Sony cameras. I find, on average, that their response time is about as good as it gets. Plus you can display them on an HDTv which is nice.

A little about me and my useage:

I have very large hands. When I play golf, I have to use a XXL glove. I used to be into 35mm cameras with multiple lenses but I find that with digital software, I can get better pics from P&S without carrying all of the bags and such. Very few of my photos are at night. Most are outside with my granddaughter or while fishing. On my recent trip of a lifetime, I would have liked to have slipped the camera in my pocket while I fished. Or at least slipped it in a fanny pack. My V3 was a little large for that .

I want to thank all for your help in advance. I love shopping, but at the same time, I get so confused.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:10 AM   #2

Outhouse-

Staying within the Sony line, the W-80 and W-90 cameras are very much shirt pocket sized, with even an optical viewfinder and IS, but only 3X of optical zoom. The T-100 and T-200 have the 5X of optical zoom.

In the Canon line you have the SD-800IS with IS, a wide angle (nice golf course shots) and an optical viewfinder and shirt pocet size. I have the Canon 710IS and it is a great little camera, with IS, 6X optical zoom, and an optical viewfinder, but it is an inch thick from front to back. The thickness eliminates the shirt pocket, but it could easily be put into a jacket pocket, a pants pocke, or a fanny pack.

I hope that helps.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:29 AM   #3

Sarah, thanks for your reply. I have a question about the CCD's on the cameras. Do you know what 1/1.7 vs. 1/2.5 means? Is one better than the other?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4

Outhouse-

The 1/1.7 imager would be a somewhat larger and thus, the more desireable CCD, compared to the 1/2.5 imager which is smaller and very commonly used. If the CCD or imager is larger, there is less pixel density, and less pixel density should, therefore , produce less noise, providing the rest of the design was properly put together during the design phase of the camera's development.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:25 PM   #5

Sarah, thank you so much for your help.

Jon

Bartlett, TN