Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:37 AM   #1

Hi,

While I'm asking questions of you wonderfully helpful folks, which camera would be best for low light or even night shots (outside)? I'm thinking not only of taking photos of cities at night but also of animals at night.

Thanks for any advice!

discodog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:42 AM   #2

discodog01 wrote:
Quote:
...which camera would be best for low light or even night shots (outside)? I'm thinking not only of taking photos of cities at night but also of animals at night.
I think a dSLR would be best for low light. dSLRs have a wide selection of fast (large aperture) lenses that would be especially good for night cityscapes. Canon and Nikon have a broad selection of fast lenses of all focal lengths, but Pentax has an especially good selection of fast wide angle lenses that would suit this purpose. Also, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a high quality, fast, wide angle zoom lens, but it's only avail for the Canon, Nikon and Sony dSLRs, and doesn't autofocus on Nikon's D40 or D40x.

But cities give off their own light. There aren't a lot of bioluminescent animals, especially on the plains of the Serengeti (if this is in conjunction with your African Safari trip.) Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'animals at night'?Can you use flash? Perhaps you could provide some examples?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3

Hi,

Thank you for the tips.

Yes, I was mainly thinking of the safari- going on night safari. But I can imagine other uses such as trying to photograph some local bats at a park nearby.... but yes, you're right, there would be minimal if any light already in existence so I would have to use a flash...

discodog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:19 PM   #4

If you're using flash, aperture doesn't mean as much, but the flash will only work out to a certain distance, so we're not talking about long telephoto. In addition, since it's dark, you probably won't have much of an idea what the eventual shot will contain until you've taken it. But this also means that you might end up doing a lot of cropping of your images in order to frame what you caught but might not have seen in the viewfinder. So a large image size would probably be good. That is, for this, 10MP might be better than 6MP.

For fast wide angle to medium telephoto, there's Canon, Nikon and Pentax. The Pentax K100D is an especially good deal right now, but it's only 6MP, and the most important thing is how the camera feels to you. If you can't use it comfortably, you won't use it, or you won't use it when you could, or you'll miss opportunities when you weren't ready. Go to a good camera store with a good selection, pick them up, and see which one you like best. You really can't go wrong with anything from Canon, Nikon or Pentax, and the one you should buy is the one you'll be best able to use.

When you've narrowed down your selection, come back and look at earlier posts which describe the advantages or disadvantages of one model or one manufacturer over another. Even if you decide against following the advice of those contributers, you'll do it with your eyes open, and you'll know what to expect.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote