Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:49 PM   #11

Gurbakash-

As to lenses, they are important only for their zoom range. Their IQ, or Image Quality only has to do with specific lens reviews. I would suggest, especially for a wedding the Sigma 17-70mm or the Canon 28-105mmL lenses depending on your choice of cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:52 PM   #12

Ok ill check them out, what is EF-S 17-85 IS USM lens used for I heard its quite good.

Also still havent told me which flash.

Also check your mail!
Gurbakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:07 PM   #13

Gurbakash-

I would suggest the Canon EX 420 flash or higher. The EX-580 is ideal. Yes, the Canon 17-85mm lens is a very nice range, and very effective as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:14 PM   #14

Didnt realize the flash was so expensive! If I would buy the camera now It might have to be a cheaper if I want lens and flash!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:23 PM   #15

Gurbakash-

If you were in the USA, I could easily offer you a much less expesive flash, namely the Oteka EF-600DG, but you are unfortunately in the UK. Is it possible that you might be able to find that flash in the UK?

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:25 PM   #16
Super Moderator

I use my Canon 30D as my 2nd camera when shooting weddings, my first being the 5D, and have a different lens on each so I can quickly change between the 2.

With the currently released models I would go Canon 30D over Nikon D80 as the noise at high ISO (needed to get shots in low light) is much lower so that is helpful. Lenses can be a big factor and can also cost as much as the camera, however I would start with something like the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 or the Tamron equivalent as this will allow you to work in lower light than other options mentioned.

Also a Canon 50mm f1.8 is a great option when the light is really low, it is not zoom but a great portrait lens.

As for flash have a look at the Sigma 500 DG Super or Canon 430EX as they will both do a good job (I use the 430EX as my backup flash). I know they are expensive but there is no comparison between the results you get with an external flash to the built in one.

Nothing is cheap to do the sort of thing you want but you are looking at kit that is able to produce very high quality results in the right hands.

Here is a shot with the Canon 30D at a recent wedding I shot.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:30 PM   #17

Thanks Mark all very useful!

Would you say there is much diffrence from the 20D and 30D? I was thinking of getting 20D and a good lens and flash to go with it.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:38 PM   #18
Super Moderator

If you can get a good 20D with a guarantee then I would go with one quite happily as the results in low light are generally better than the 30D as it's high ISO settings were for some reason stronger.

The lenses are going to make a big difference so saving money on the body is going to help you get a better lens. I would personally rule out the Canon 17-85mm lens as although it has a large zoom range it is not the best lens especially in low light.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:51 PM   #19
Super Moderator

In answer to a q posted by PM (so that others can comment and check I'm not going crazy with an answer at almost 2am).

Quote:
Yeh I think i will go with the D20, what lens would you recommend for it, do you think Image Stab lenses are good at all do they effect image quality?
I would stick by my suggestion of the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 lens as it will allow you to work well in low light. As for IS, I only have one lens with it and it is my main wedding lens. ISreally does help if you are shooting a lot in low light as long as the subjects are not moving and the lens itself is already fast. However I would rather get a non IS bright lens like f2.8 (f is the aperture, the size of the opening at the end of the lens as it joins the camera.... the lower the f number the more light allowed is so you can shoot in lower light) rather than a less bright IS lens such as the 17-85mm f4-5.6. To put those numbers into real terms from f2.8 to f4 you are halving the light entering the camera, and at f5.6 you are halving it again so that is making a big difference.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:54 PM   #20

Ok thanks alot, although Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 may be a tad too expensive what would the slight downgrade of this be?