Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2007, 5:11 PM   #1

In 2 weeks time it's my bros wedding and just rememberd to get a DSLR for it, I want one that is Purely for image quality, no features none of that. My price range is around 1000 dollars.

Thanks!
Gurbakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2007, 5:26 PM   #2

My first inclination is to suggest either the Pentax K-100D, which has a nice reabate on it until 09/30/07 or the even more popular Nikon D-40.

However, I think it would be dreadfully inportant for you to tell us a bit about your photography background, if we are about to create a 14 day wonder situation.

Remember you will need a good flash and that is included in the Pentax rebate program as well, so there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel.

We look forward to hearing from you and to learning a good deal about your camera and photography experience. Of course, this is only your brother, so there is good reason that you just happened to forget about this life changing event within your brother's life.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 5:27 PM   #3

Wedding in two weeks time, hunh?

Image quality will be fairly consistant across the board of all the entry level DSLRs given good shooting conditions. Unfortunately, there's a lot involved with getting high quality shots of a wedding.

What type of shots are you anticipating trying to get? Shots during the ceremony? If so where is the ceremony - in a church or outside?
Posed shots afterwards? If so, where? Indoors or outdoors?
Shots at the reception?

These are important questions. For instance, lets say you want posed shots in the church after the ceremony - a good external flash (not the built in) is essential to getting decent shots. That same flash will also be hugely important capturing shots at an indoor reception. If everything is outdoors, the flash isn't as critical (until it gets late).

If you want to take shots during an indoor ceremony, then you're looking at lenses with wide apertures since most places frown upon the use of flash during the ceremony. That usually isn't the type of lens that comes with a DSLR and it can be quite expensive.

Those are probably the two biggest things for taking some snapshots of the wedding. But heres the thing - a DSLR isn't a magic digicam. Try to take photos in dim lights with the wrong setup (i.e. narrow aperture kit lens and no flash) and shots out of a DSLR will look just as bad as shots out of a digicam.

So, bottom line is any of the entry level DSLRs is capable of very good image quality - but unless everything is outdoors during day light you'll need a lens other than the kit lens and an external flash to get good results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 5:37 PM   #4

Well I dont have a photography background unfortunately, I started taking a like into photography when i was 11 and I am now 15 (yes very young) All I've ever had was a old sony p93 but managed to take great shots with it. Now looking to upgrade big time.

By the way I am indian so I would be in a temple not in a church. I would be taking pictures both indoor and outdoor, not really sure but abit of both.

I was thinking of maybe a 30D or D80? Or a cheaper on like XTi but with a good lens?

Ok flash I need to buy, which decent one do you recommend?

Not big fan of pentax, and is rather cheap. Looking for more better one!
Old Sep 2, 2007, 5:52 PM   #5

This may sound a bit harsh, but my advice is to put the money towards a professional photographer. You are not going to be able to learn all you need to know about photography and the specific camera in two weeks. It may be different in India, but in the U.S. and Canada, brides (and some grooms) can get very upset if their wedding pictures are less than perfect.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 5:54 PM   #6

No I dont think you understand what I mean, Im not going to be the photographer at the wedding were going to hire one. Im in england also but in a indian wedding there are lots of ceremoneys BEFORE the actual wedding. Ill be taking shots when I can AT the wedding, when I cant then I pass it on to a cousin.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:14 PM   #7

gurbakash-

'Not to worry, please, about being just 15. You are still very capable of very excellent and interesting wedding photos. OK, you seem to hate Pentax and are located in the UK. 'Not to worry! How do you feel about a Nikon D-40 or a Canon XTi? You are the alternative photographer, so you have nothing to sweat about. It will be all, be a great bit of fun.

I would like you to be able to show your skills as a photographer. So, let move ahead, and get you set up for the BIG day.

Awaiting your reply, and very willing to work with you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:20 PM   #8

Thanks alof for helping everyone ^^

I was thinking something abit more pro than that, I will use this not only for the wedding but the years of my photography to come!

I was thinking of 20D, D80? Oh yeh just read up the FujiFilm S3 Is a good pro camera for weddings, everyone willing to put in the extra money If needed. Or if you think I will get clearer cripser images from a XTi with a really good lens?

Maybe forget the S3 abit too expensive, maybe the S2?

Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:38 PM   #9

Gurbakash-

You would be much better off with a Nikon D-80 or a Canon 20/30D camera. Forget the Fuji, it is not entirely consistent.

Where do we go from here?

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:41 PM   #10

Ok what sort of lens would we be looking at ( I have no idea about lenses ) Are the lenses just for zoom or increase image sharpness/quality?

Also what sort of flash, not too expensive!