Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1

hello everyone!

i'm currently in the market for a p&s camera in the 6-7 mp range. this will be my first digital camera and so i've been reading a lot of reviews and tried to gather as much information as possible (but a lot of things still don't have revealed their true meanings to me ).

i'm going to new york in 2 weeks time so this trip will be the first real test for the camera. upon my research the olympus stylus 780 is now amongst my favorites (and is budgetwise more or less the maximum). i've also taken the panasonic fx01 into consideration, but the apparent noise issue and weak low light performance seem to be quite a setback (but the wide angle lens is very appealing).

what cameras besides the olympus and the panasonic are worth a look? things i want (or better wish for ) is image stabilization, a >3x optical zoom, a relatively good low light/night shot performance and the thing should be easy to use.

thank you.

lith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:20 PM   #2

lith-

The Olympus Stylus 780 is a good choice and it has received excellent reviews. If you could find one the Canon A-710IS would also be a good choice. If you wanted more zoom, the Canon S-3IS is now at an all time low price, because the Canon S-5IS is on the dealer's shelves. The S-3 is an excelent camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:28 AM   #3

thank you very much for your answer. one last (i hope) question - what about video functionality? the olympus only features 15fps albeit with sound. i don't know about video quality in general on compact cameras, so how's it looking? making short videos is tempting i must say.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:08 AM   #4

lith-

I am not a good person to ask about video because I never use it at all. I do know that at 15fps it will look choppy. It takes 30 frames per second to have a smooth appearance to the action in the video. I just checked the specifications on the Stylus 780 and yes, you are correct. Movie with sound is at 15fps.

There is an excellent review of the Stylus 780 at www.megapixel.net. Also you can purchase an Olympus refurbished Stylus 780 through E-Bay where there is an Olympus Factory Auction site. I purchased a 780 there yesterday for $(US) 170.00 delivered. The offer a 90 day warranty on their refurbished cameras, and I have purchased several of them and never had a single problem.

If the video spec is a problem, take a look at the Canon A-720 camera which www.amazon.com has on special now for $(US)249.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:07 PM   #5

thank you again sarah! really appreciate your help.

the powershot a720 sure looks very promising, it seems to have everything i'm looking for. only "downsides" seem to be the rather low resolution lcd screen and the not too fancy design. but i think i can live with that. plus it is a bit heavier than most of the other compact cameras and not really pocket sized but then again that's not really a big issue. and it's even cheaper than the olympus.

will check out both the olympus 780 and the canon a720 as soon as i can.

regards