Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:23 AM   #21
Administrator

If you do decide to go with another brand, you may want to consider waiting a little while until Sony starts shipping newer models before trying to sell your lenses.

That way, you'd probably get more for your lenses as demand goes up with more cameras shipping capable of using them.

Sony has already announced that they're working on an Advanced Amateur and a Pro model (and that's only what we know they are working on, as they may not want to pre-announce models that would impact sales of the model already out in the same market niche).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:10 PM   #22

I heard Sony was going to announce a new model within the next week. Any idea on what it will be?

I went to a couple of actual camera stores with knowledgeable people and am more comfortable with the Sony now than I was last night. I am leaning towards it heavily, but would like to know what they have up their sleeve to see if I am buying a month or two too early.

BTW, thanks for all the help. You folks have been great and very informative.
lrogier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:18 PM   #23

It is possible that the price of the Sony A-100 will come down when Sony introduces it's new 'advanced amature' model, but no one but Sony knows when and by how much. It's also possible that you might rather have the newer model than the existing A-100. (See Sony DSLR sighting )

But if you buy it now, you'll have the benefit of using it in the interim.

Tough call.

Good luck with that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:38 PM   #24

The first time I really need this is October 9 for a trip to NYC. I definitely want something by then.

One of the stores I was in today had the A100 with the 18-70 lens for 799 ($100 more than B&H) but they also had an add on package for 249 that included a 75-300 f/4.5-5.6, with a 2 year extended warranty on both lenses and body.

Wouldn't you think that the lens is probably not quite as good as my 70-210?

I am not sure if they would price match B&H or one of the other online places, but knowing that I would walk out of the store and order online might be persuasive. Who knows?

Here's another question: Is it better to buy the kit with the 18-70 (which would take the place of my 28-85 because it is only slighter shorter but has a wider angle) or just buy the body and try to find a wide angle lens to use with the 28-85 and the 70-210?

I think I would almost rather buy the kit with the 18-70 and carry the 70-210 which means two lenses, whereas buying the body alone means carrying three lenses. Any thoughts?

On the supposed upcoming announcement, I did some googling and came up with this you may have already seen:
http://photoclubalpha.com/2007/09/03...-start-to-fly/

I wonder if a new model will drive the price down just after I buy it. Should be my luck.

One last thing: What do you think of extended warranties in general and Mack warranties in particular. I have heard both good and bad about the Mack warranties. I typically don't like extended warranties but have never owned a DSLR.

Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:30 PM   #25

I've got the 70-210 f/4.0 and the 75-300 f/4.5-5.6, and hardly ever use the 75-300. And in NYC, you won't need the -300 part unless the closest you'll get to the Statue of Liberty is Battery Park.

Your 28-85 f/3.5-4.5 is brighter and longer than the kit 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, so all you'd really need the kit lens for is the wide end, and in NYC, you'll need a wide angle. But I think a much better choice is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. It's wide, bright and sharp. (See http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-ii-page6.html ) I just got this lens and I couldn't be happier with it. (See First shots with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 on my KM5D )

So I think you should buy the body and the Tamron 17-50. And skip the extended warranty.

And for NYC, I don't think you'll have much use for any telephoto.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:47 PM   #26

The new Sony A-700 was announced today in the UK. Here is a photo of this 12mp camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 4:15 PM   #27

I just got off the phone with Sonystyle.com (Sony's own store I guess). I asked her if she knew anything about any new releases. She said they generally know 3 weeks or so ahead of time and she didn't know anything ... I guess she is not in the UK.

When will that be available here and what is the price on it?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:57 PM   #28

The availability and pricing for the USA will be announced in the next few weeks, I would imagine. In the meantime, the A-100 will probably become a real bargain. Personally, I will be watching it closely, as I would like to pick up an A-100 at a bargain price.

I would imagine that the A-700 with it 12mp and a shutter with a rated life in excess of 100,000 actuations will cost around $1500 to $1800.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:43 PM   #29

I agree with mtclimber. The Sony A-700 will be competitive with the Nikon D300 12MP dSLR, which costs $1,799 for just the body. That shouldn't influence the current price of the A-100 much. I don't think there's much reason to wait.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:31 AM   #30
Administrator

lrogier wrote:
Quote:
I heard Sony was going to announce a new model within the next week. Any idea on what it will be?
http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#a700

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so...7_a700_pr.html

http://www.sony.net/Products/dslr/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote