Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:51 AM   #31

Sony says the A700 will be available for about $1,400, and will ship in October.

Since it's intended market segment is different from the A100,the price of the A100 probably won't be affected, and an October ship date is probably too late for the OP's NYC trip.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:05 AM   #32
Administrator

$1399.99, with availablity around September 28th at Sonystyle.com

Link to Sony DSLR-A700 at Sonystyle.com for $1399.99

Of course, Sonystyle may get them in first. ;-) We'll have to wait and see what street price ends up being after it's on the shelves. But, most new models don't get discounted much. It all depends on supply and demand.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:09 AM   #33

JimC wrote: And they've already dropped the price $100! Isn't that nice of them?

Edit: SonyStyle.com took down the 'Price Drop: -$100' notice. Maybe I wasn't the only one making fun of them.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:44 AM   #34

You all have been tremendously helpful.

I think I am leaning towards (almost convinced) for the A100 kit with the 18-70. I have a hard time seeing the $400 in the budget for the Sigma or Tamrom 18-50 f2.8 even though its a better lens. The 18-70 should at least get me something fairly wide shouldn't it? Isn't the 18 the same no matter what the long end is? It is just the 2.8 vs. the 3.5 at issue. And I still have the 28-85 and the 55mm that is a 1.7 I think.

BTW, if the 18 is the same no matter the 50 or 70, why wouldn't I look into an 11-20 or something similar? I can't remember the exact specs on the ones I looked up. That would get me from 11 to 210 wouldn't it? Am I missing something there?

With this kit, my initial cost is smaller and I can experiment and if I decide I want another camera, I will sell and buy something else.

I might wait a couple of weeks and see what the a100 price does now that the A700 is announced (boy, that looks decent from what I can tell). I doubt it will do much since it is listing at twice the price. I don't think that will drive the A100 down much, though who knows.
lrogier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:20 AM   #35
Administrator

lrogier wrote:
Quote:
BTW, if the 18 is the same no matter the 50 or 70, why wouldn't I look into an 11-20 or something similar? I can't remember the exact specs on the ones I looked up. That would get me from 11 to 210 wouldn't it? Am I missing something there?.
There are a few lenses around starting out very wide.

I don't own any of them. But, if you want to see some of the lenses available starting out that wide, Dyxum is a pretty good resource for that, since they have lens specs, links to user reviews, photos, and more from popular lenses. Here are zooms in Minolta AF mount:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=3

My widest lens right now is the 18-70mm kit lens. But, I rarely use it. It's also my only "digital only" lens. So, I can use my other lenses on both digital models with an APS-C size sensor, or film cameras (for example, my two Maxxum 7000s), as well as being able to use them on any model Sony releases later with a larger sensor in this mount.

I've also got a Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 that I pull out from time to tome (since it's brighter and sharper than the kit lens in a zoom), and if space permits, I sometimes use my Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 in lower light.

The 18-70mm kit lens is smaller and lighter though (and there is something to be said for that).

But, my Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 stays on my 5D more often than not as a walk around lens, and I usually break out the primes in very low light.

The just announced 16-105mm looks interesting though. It would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 24-157mm lens on a 35mm camera. I'd be curious how soon it drops down to f/5.6 in the zoom range.

Some of the compact designs lose light pretty fast as you zoom in (for example, the 18-70mm kit lens is down to f/5.6 by the time you zoom into 35mm with it). In good light, that's not an issue. But, I can get away with using my 24-85mm in lower light and if space isn't too tight, it works out OK. A wider lens would be preferred at times though.

You may also want to consider a body only solution and use it for a while before making up your mind where your lens lineup is lacking. That way, you'd get a better feel for whether or not you want to buy a wider lens that's brighter than what you'd get in a kit lens. From time to time, I wouldn't mind having one of the 18-50ish or 18-70ish f/2.8-4 zooms. Too many choices, not enough money. ;-)

Your 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 42-127mm lens on a 35mm body. So, the wide end may be a bit long, depending on what you want to shoot (i.e, group photos in tight spaces could be challenging). lol

You could always buy a used 18-70mm later if you think it would suffice. That lens is still a good deal in a kit though (it would cost you more to buy a new one like it outside of a kit).

keh.com usually has a few of them in stock (both the Sony branded lens and the KM branded lens) for under $100 used though. But, there is no telling what lens prices are going to do. Waiting is always a gamble.

Minolta Digital Lenses at keh.com

Here's a Sony branded 18-70mm (they want a little more for it):

Sony 18-70mm at keh.com

They have loads more lenses in the 35mm section. Just to go Minolta Autofocus and select Zoom Lenses for Minolta Zooms, or Non-mfg Zoom Lenses for third party zooms (Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc.).

Minolta Autofocus Listings at keh.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:44 PM   #36

At the Canadian introduction of the A-700 this morning (09/06) it was announced that the A-700 kit would sell for $(Cdn) 2,050.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:59 PM   #37

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
At the Canadian introduction of the A-700 this morning (09/06) it was announced that the A-700 kit would sell for $(Cdn) 2,050.00.
That doesn't sound right. The Sony A100 bodyis $699.95 (US)on SonyStyle.com and $849.99 (Cdn) on SonyStyle.ca. The A700 body is $1,399.99 (US) on SonyStyle.com, which should make it $1,700 (Cdn).

Was the $2,050 (Cdn) with a lens?

Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:39 PM   #38

TCav-

I agree with you entirely. However, the point I was attempting to make was simply this: if the Sony A-700 is more than $(US) 1,500.00, then the A-100 at $(US) 599.00 or less is a good deal. Agreed?

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:12 PM   #39

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
TCav-

I agree with you entirely. However, the point I was attempting to make was simply this: if the Sony A-700 is more than $(US) 1,500.00, then the A-100 at $(US) 599.00 or less is a good deal. Agreed?

Sarah Joyce
Absolutely.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:22 PM   #40

Thank you, TCav-

That is exactly how I feel as well. And as soon as the A-700 gets on dealer's shelves, the price on the A-100 will drop like a rock. Sony has already publically acknowledged that they will take the A-100 through the Christmas Holiday, but there will be no more A-100's after that. It sure is food for thought, and bargain buying. How about a Christmas present early for myself. I will be watching the A-100 prices very closely indeed. I have lots of old Minolta lenses, including 3 beer cans and a half dozen 50mm F 1.7 lenses. They could pay for a new A-100 all by themselves. It's a thought.

Sarah Joyce