Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:34 PM   #41

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
... Sony has already publically acknowledged that they will take the A-100 through the Christmas Holiday, but there will be no more A-100's after that. ...
I've seen the rumors, but I haven't seen anything from Sonythat would indicate that the A100 is being discontinued.

I'd have thought they would continue carrying it at least until well after they release the Pro model (the A900?), and they've had time to develop an A500. After all, the A700 doesn't replace the A100; it's for a different market segment. And the A100 is 10MP; everyone else is still selling 8MP and 6MP dSLRs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:58 PM   #42

I am definitely going with the A100, but back to the lens thing for a minute. I am still a little bit confused even in spite of what has been said.

Some here have recommended the Sigma 18-55 f/2.8 (which is out of my budget). So I previously asked about the kit lens (18-70 f/3.5-5.6) vs. the Sigma 18-50 f/3.5-5.6.

I can get the Sigma used for about $76 at KEH.com, or new for $100 at J&R or B&H.

So bottom line: Would I be better off getting the kit 18-70 at $699 or the body and Sigma 18-50 for $699?

Someone local told me the sigma 18-50 f/3.5.5-6 was junk and the kit lens was better. Right? or Wrong?
lrogier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:25 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Someone local told me the sigma 18-50 f/3.5.5-6 was junk and the kit lens was better. Right? or Wrong?
They're probably right. That Sigma gets poor user reviews. You can see some reviews of zooms in Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha mount (including that Sigma) here:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=3

Here's a direct link to that Sigma:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...asp?IDLens=197

I've also seen focus issues reported with it elsewhere. I'd probably avoid it.

The 18-70mm kit lens is probably about as good as it gets for the money in a new lens for the Sony starting out that wide in it's price range (only adding about $100 to the cost of a camera when you get it in a kit). You can find higher quality zoom lenses starting out that wide (but, not at the price the kit lens is selling for).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:51 PM   #44
Administrator

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, you can also pick up the kit lens used at a reasonable price later if you want to see how your existing lenses do for the type of shooting conditions you'll take more photos in first.

I see keh.com has two of them for $89 in EX+ condition now (I see a Sony branded 18-70mm in the Sony Digital category and a KM Branded 18-70mm in the Minolta digital category at that price). Of course, by the time you tack on shipping, you could have got a new one with the camera in a kit. lol

I've got the kit lens. But, I rarely use it. I keep my Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 on my camera more often than not instead. That's a bit wider than your lenses go though and I do have a Tamron 20-40mm I use from time to time, too.

The kit lens would give you better coverage on the wide end if you needed it (and it's a relatively small and light lens, which has it's benefits if you don't want to lug a heavier kit around). There is no perfect choice. I'd probably avoid that Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens though (even if they only wanted $25 for it). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote