Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:45 PM   #1

I got some good advice from Mtclimber that was leading me to a 850IS for my wife, then I read about white spots and the other error, and thought I would go with the A570 IS. It has all of the listed features of the 850, and AA Batts which I thought a plus. Now I find out that the recycle time between shots is a lot longer wiith AA batts which was a complaint with the current coolpix 4000. Is that true and are there other minus points of the A570? What other camera brandsfalls into this general catagory that has an optical veiwer also, especially if the cannon white spot, and error problems still exist?

Thanks
Tired Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:18 PM   #2

Tired-

I have not experienced nor have I seen reports of the so called "white spot" phenomena. Steve did his complete review of the Danon SD-850IS and he also made no mention of this phenomena. In yet another review at www.dcresource.com I did see mention of the Canon Creative Light Effect. Could that be what you are calling "white spots?"Can you explain a bit more about these "white spots" problem, please?

The Canon A-570IS had also received excellent reviews, but yes, the flash recycle time is measureably longer that you might experience with a Li-Ion battery. However, it is the rare situation where you are using flash during a burst mode. The recharge time is quite variable based on the following parameters:

(1) the distance from camera to subject

(2) the actual ISO setting of the camera

(3) the reflectivity of the photo environment

If you were taking snapshots in your living room at a distance of 10 feet with the camera in ISO Auto, the flash recycle time would be very short. On the otherhand, if you were taking a flash shot at a huge Ice Hockey area at a distance of over 20 feet, the flash recycle time would indeed be measurably longer.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:56 PM   #3

http://www.**********************/digi...s_reviews.html

Here is one site that mentions the white spots issue....

Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:15 PM   #4

Tired -

I immediately used the link you provided. Th only "white spot" discussed on that website provided by your link that I searched very carefully did not involve the Canon SD-800IS or SD-850IS, but rather the Sony T-10 camera.

Both the SD-800IS and SD-850IS have received great reviews without any mention at all of these, "white spots."

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:59 PM   #5

Then I am reading it wrong...help me..it says right at the top that the comment sre in reference to the 800IS....
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:12 PM   #6

You're not - the first, sixth and ninth user reviews describe a problem with white spots on an SD800IS. If you read the sixth review however, it correctly identifies the evil white spots as nothing more than dust being reflected by the flash. It can happen with any camera, but is more prevalent with smaller cameras that have a shorter distance between the flash and the lens.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:21 PM   #7

Tired-

I found the comment. Yes, that is a single person taking flash photos at night. It could have been nothing more than a refection of that flash. And yes, there is also a single comment about the Canon E-18 error on the SD-800IS.

I follow the Canon folder here and over at dpreview constantly. I have never seen any other comments about the "white spots" or the E-18 error involving the Canon SD-800IS. So those are totally singular instances. Frankly I cannot give them much credence, as I meet with SD-800 folks all the time and they have not said anything at all to support those two singular reports.

However, please let's be very clear. What I have expressed is what I think. If you think that this discredits the SD-800IS in any substantial way, that is indeed the feeling that you should follow. As a Professional Digital Camera Instructor, I interact/interface with the multiple owners of many brands of digital cameras on a regular basis. I usually have over 5,000 folks in my workshops in any given year. In fact, at the end of this month I head off to Europe to do another Digial Camera Workshop for Norwegian Cruise Lines where I will attempt to get even more feedback on the SD-800IS and the SD-850IS cameras. I will not be back until 11/23, but I will post any feedback that I receive to support these two singular allegations concerning the Canon SD-800IS camera. You just might be on to something, that has not previously uncovered, Tired.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:43 PM   #8

Sarah Joyce;

I simply discovered this comment, and really wanted your and others thoughts. I really appreciate your experience, and if you ain't heard of this, it is good enough for me.

Now, just one more re the 850 and 570 or the one that has a 6X. What are the major differences. Today at the store, the specs seemed the same, but the 800 controls seemed more difficult use? Other differences?

Thanks...

Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:11 PM   #9

Tired-

I believe that you are discussing the following cameras:

Canon 850IS (watch out no wide angle here!)

Canon A-570IS

Canon A-720IS (6X optical zoom)

Right now finding the Canon A-710IS is pretty darned tough, so we have to consider the new Canon A-720IS. Yes, the A-720IS has a full 6X optical zoom, more than either the Canon SD-850IS or the Canon A-570IS. That might make it a bit more desireable. Note that www.amazon.com has the A-720IS right now at $(US) 249.99, and it is probably a best buy.

That leaves the A-570IS and the SD-850IS. If physical camera size was not a factor, I would head directly to the Canon A-720IS and get a bit more optical zoom and a great camera. But that is just me!

Sarah Joyce