Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:13 PM   #1

Hi,

I've had the A2 for a year or so now, and not used it an awful lot because it is a bit big. I'm thinking about selling it and had a quick scoot around to see if anything else has come out recently with:

28 - 200 mm zoom, or something similar,IS and a viewfinder, preferably compact.

But I can't find anything, so I decided to come on here and ask the experts! I've got the Ricoh R5 which has been great as a small camera, but there's been times when I would have killed for a viewfinder. I'm off to China for a three week tour in November, and would like something decent for that.

Thankyou for your time,

Wibblemore
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:20 PM   #2

Wibblemore-

It would seem to me, having traveled extensively in China myself, that a camera such as any of the following cameras that do have both an optical or EVF viewfinder and a resonable about of zoom.

Canon A-720IS
Canon S-3 IS
Canon S-5IS
Canon G-7
Canon G-9
Sony H-2
Sony H-5

You did not mention what size camera you are looking for, but take a look at these cameras, and perhaps we can tailor this more closely to your desires.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:31 PM   #3

Hi Sarah,

Thank youfor that list! Unfortunately having had a quick look at the reviews on here they all start at 35 / 36mm, and I did rather want a wide-angle.

I was looking for a compact ideally, although I know it's a lot to pack into a small box. I was hoping things would have moved on a bit since I bought the A2...but none of the compacts seem to have viewfinders. Why is that?!:?

Wibblemore
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:35 PM   #4

Wibblemore-

The Panasonic TZ-3 or FZ-18 might be ideal for you. Both begin at 28mm. The TZ-3 does not have an optical viewfinder, but the FZ-18 has a very good EVF.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:36 PM   #5

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that. Those are two interesting cameras. The TZ-3 would be perfect - if it just had a viewfinder! I don't understand why they're not putting viewfinders on compact cameras these days - I've found the screens I've used to be useless in strong sun, and it's nice to useviewfinders to pan across with. You just feel closer to the picture somehow, they make you focus on composition.

The FZ-18 is a very, very similar spec to the A2 using DP review to compare. The A2 has a better EVF according to their info but the FZ-18 has that nice, long lens...but it's the same size as the A2, and I was really after something smaller....mmmm...

It looks like things haven't moved on that much yet since the A2, so I might just stick with it for now.

Thank you for all your help!

Wibblemore
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:03 PM   #6

wibblemore-

If you look more closely, I believe that you will find the Panny FZ-18 is a good deal smaller than the KM A-2. I may be wrong, but you might check it out. The FZ-18 also has IS which the KM A-2 does not. For us older folks, that is a very important factor.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:23 PM   #7
Administrator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The FZ-18 also has IS which the KM A-2 does not.
The Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 has CCD based Anti-Shake system (as did it's predecessor, the Minolta DiMAGE A1).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:51 PM   #8

JimC-

You are exactly correct, of course! I stand corrected.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:56 PM   #9

I had the A1, and it had this famous defectuous sensor giving curtained images after sometimes. Although it can be replaced for free, I wouldthink twice about the conserving the A2 for a long time.

Apart this sensor problem, I really loved the A1.
philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:05 AM   #10

Hi,

Thank you everybody for your replies.

The A2 has indeed got IS - one of the reasons I bought it in the first place.

I've hadmy hands on the FZ-18 which is smaller and lighter than the A2; it hasn't got the manal zoom, and the EVF isn't such good quality - but it has gotthatfantastic zoom. I'm very tempted with that or the Olympus SP-560/ SP-550 UZ, which looks to be a similar sort of camera. I'm waiting for our local camera shop to get them both in so I can compare.

I'm also looking at replacing my Ricoh R5 with a second hand Canon S80 for a pocket camera - I have to have a viewfinder....!

Thank you very much Sarah for the heads-up on the FZ-18.