Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:25 AM   #11

I think Sarah has given you a very nice pointer.

But ultimatetly it boils to one thing which cam you feel comfortable with and whather it covers all your needs of the type of the photography . That is the bulleye while making a decision

Like I read all the opinions , then I go to dealer and ask for all the suggested model. I keep it under 2-3 model. Then I hold it for few sec . whather I feel comfortble with it not, like weight and handgrips, (Very importent). Whather I can reach all the button comfrotably or not.

Then select one which I feel comfortable with and take few shorts. just to check whahter everything is right.Then pay the bill

mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:23 AM   #12

mcliu-

You have summed up the selection process very well indeed! There are two very important points to always be sure that you have achieved to make the best decision.

(1) Does the camera do everything that you want it to do. In other words does the camera fit your current style of taking photos, or the style that you want to grow into.

(2) Be sure that you actually physically handled the camera to be sure that it fits your hands well, and that you are able to reach all of the controls comfortably.

mcliu, I think that you will really like your new Canon A-720IS. I own a A-710IS and it has been a really great camera. I take hardly any video clips, so I ordered an Olympus Stylus 780. It seems to be an almost ideal travel camera. So as soon as I receive it, I will post some photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 3:09 PM   #13

lith wrote:
Quote:
hey pbosco!

i've just (well yesterday) bought the canon a720 IS. since this is my first digital camera i can't really tell if it's any good or not :-). it's predecessor, the a710 IS, got good reviews. it's pretty much the same spec wise as far as i can tell, the a720 has an updated image processor and now features 8 mp (instead of 7 on the a710)

compared to the olympus 780, which i also considered, the a720 is rather "big". so if you wan't a true pocket sized cam then the olympus might be the better choice. however, as sarah already stated, the olympus has "only" 5x optical zoom but a bigger sensor (1/2.3"), whereas the canon comes with a 6x optical zoom lens (and 1/2.5" sensor).

other differences i might sum up:

olympus stylus 780
7.1 mp
video at only 15fps
shutter speed up to 4 sec max
high resolution lcd (230.000 pixel)
metal casing

canon a720 IS
8 mp
video at 30fps
shutter speed up to 15 sec max
low resolution display (only has 115.000 pixel)
plastic casing

the olympus feels really solid thanks to it's metal casing and it's also weather proof. the canon feels a bit cheap because it's mainly plastic (it's pretty sturdy nontheless) BUT the overall grip on the camera is a lot better. i have rather big hands and so i feel more comfortable when holding the camera with just one hand. this is one of the main reasons why i picked the canon (plus having video at 30fps and the bigger zoom). and it was cheaper too.

how are the quality of pics on the A720 IS, blur wise.. does the IS really make a difference? indoor or low lighting shots, how do those come out?

i think the size of this particular camera is fine, it does not have to be an ELPH size.. i will try it out at best buy.

pbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:21 PM   #14

pbosco-

Here is what the Canon A-710 is capable of doing. Notice that there is no blur.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:40 PM   #15

pbosco-

Here is another A-710IS night shot taken handheld on the BKK ramp at 1/8 of a second. You will notice that the only blurring was the man hurrying up the boarding ramp, that is to be expected at 1/8th of a second. However the balance of the photo is perfectly clear. That is a WOW kind of photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:01 PM   #16

pbosco-

Here is another handheld, no flash shot with the Canon A-710 IS, taken at a shutter speed of 1/8 second. There is no people motion in this photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:57 PM   #17

wow great pics, thanks again for posting and the info!!
Old Sep 6, 2007, 8:31 PM   #18

Well, pbosco-

Here are three more photos that I took this afternoon while shopping. Here is what I used on all of them: NO FLASH, ISO 200, handheld. They look pretty good.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 7, 2007, 2:58 PM   #19

yes they indeed do!

can you take some night shots? im curious to see those in action...
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:39 PM   #20

pbosco-

As a digital camera instructor, you are always working on new material. I am afraid that I will have to beg off on the night shots from the A-710IS. As I just started working on creating a brand new flash tutorial and it will take most of the weekend.

I have done my best with samples thus far. BTW why don't you consider this photo to be a night photo. It was taken at night??

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images