Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:12 PM   #1

looking for new digital camera.. with the following criteria (obviously I probably wont find the "perfect" camera) but what models come close, or best suited?

- IS technology .. image stabilizer is huge, dont want blurry shots! good night shots, low lighting.

- batteries / memory.. must be AA batteries, and SD memory (i could live with it not being SD but not the AA batteries).

- LCD, nice 2.5".

I know MP means nothing really.. anything above 5MP wil be fine for my purposes.

Price wise, $300-400 CDN range.

thanks in advance!!

pbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:59 PM   #2

Certainly the Canon S-5IS and S-3IS, along with the Sony H-2 are top contenders in your specs race.

The S-5IS is selling for $(US)350
The S-3IS is selling for $(US)280
The H-2 is selling for $(US)200 on ebay.

Those above are all 12X optical zoom cameras. If you want less zoom, take a look at the

Canon A-720IS-$(US) 249 at www.amazon.com
Canon A-650IS-$(US) 399 at www.amazon.com

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:09 PM   #3

great thanks! i will look into each model.

Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:37 PM   #4

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Certainly the Canon S-5IS and S-3IS, along with the Sony H-2 are top contenders in your specs race.

The S-5IS is selling for $(US)350
The S-3IS is selling for $(US)280
The H-2 is selling for $(US)200 on ebay.

Those above are all 12X optical zoom cameras. If you want less zoom, take a look at the

Canon A-720IS-$(US) 249 at http://www.amazon.com
Canon A-650IS-$(US) 399 at http://www.amazon.com

Sarah Joyce
Quote:
just checked online, and noticed the S-51S and H-2 models are pretty "big" in size.. are these digital SLR cameras?

the A-720IS is more of what I would want.. smaller, sleeker... any other of these "types" of cameras you can recommend? I should have mentioned size should also be a factor, sorry.

Old Sep 5, 2007, 7:48 PM   #5

The Olympus Stylus 780 is a 5X optical zoom camera that is really small. It can be purchased on Olympus Auctions on ebay for around $(US)160, but it does not use AA batteries and has no optical viewfinder. That is the smallest 5X optical zoom camera out there. It has received great reviews. Look for a review over at www.megapixel.net.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:04 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The Olympus Stylus 780 is a 5X optical zoom camera that is really small. It can be purchased on Olympus Auctions on ebay for around $(US)160, but it does not use AA batteries and has no optical viewfinder. That is the smallest 5X optical zoom camera out there. It has received great reviews. Look for a review over at http://www.megapixel.net.

Sarah Joyce
ya but expensive memory (xD) and expensive second battery (Li-Ion) make me stray away from this camera..
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:55 PM   #7

pbosco-

You asked for smaller. I was just attempting to help.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:06 PM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
pbosco-

You asked for smaller. I was just attempting to help.

Sarah Joyce
sorry if you took offense to my last comment .. did not mean to. thanks for your input though.. hopefully i can find a smaller camera with the 3 points i stated in original post. the A720 IS look promising when it's released.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:40 PM   #9

pbosco-

No offense taken at all. So, not to worry. I will see if I can come up with some more suggestions.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:41 AM   #10

hey pbosco!

i've just (well yesterday) bought the canon a720 IS. since this is my first digital camera i can't really tell if it's any good or not :-). it's predecessor, the a710 IS, got good reviews. it's pretty much the same spec wise as far as i can tell, the a720 has an updated image processor and now features 8 mp (instead of 7 on the a710)

compared to the olympus 780, which i also considered, the a720 is rather "big". so if you wan't a true pocket sized cam then the olympus might be the better choice. however, as sarah already stated, the olympus has "only" 5x optical zoom but a bigger sensor (1/2.3"), whereas the canon comes with a 6x optical zoom lens (and 1/2.5" sensor).

other differences i might sum up:

olympus stylus 780
7.1 mp
video at only 15fps
shutter speed up to 4 sec max
high resolution lcd (230.000 pixel)
metal casing

canon a720 IS
8 mp
video at 30fps
shutter speed up to 15 sec max
low resolution display (only has 115.000 pixel)
plastic casing

the olympus feels really solid thanks to it's metal casing and it's also weather proof. the canon feels a bit cheap because it's mainly plastic (it's pretty sturdy nontheless) BUT the overall grip on the camera is a lot better. i have rather big hands and so i feel more comfortable when holding the camera with just one hand. this is one of the main reasons why i picked the canon (plus having video at 30fps and the bigger zoom). and it was cheaper too.
lith is offline   Reply With Quote