Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:58 PM   #1

I live in Malaysia where we have to wait another 2-3 weeks to get the Canon 40D, while the nikon is widely available, but I have no hurry to wait for the launch of the Canon also in Kuala Lumpur.

I am looking for a good camera, and will add lenses and other stuffs during the years to come.

Today I have a Fuji S7000 and quite happy with it although this camera has limitations in speed.

Budget: it is flexible up to 2000-2500 us$ (for now), my concern is not to save 100-200 bucks and regret, for this reason I seek your advice guys. The Fuji was a mistake, it did and doea a good job, but I feel like caged with it.

Canon 40D: I like the live view and the possibility to recycle CF cards from the Fuji, I also like the 100,000 shutter life span, the alloy body, the PRO feeling it gives to me.

Nikon D80 has SD card but it is cheaper leaving me more room for extra "toys" and lenses.

The Nikon D200 was my dream till I got to know that the Canon 40D and the Nikon D300 were on the way....the D300 is too expensive for me anyway.

USE: 30% tourism, 30% interior design, show units, real estate, 30% my baby to born, 10% Moto GP and F1

LENSES TO ADD (ALSO YOUR ADVICE HERE IS MOST WELCOME):

-- SIGMA 10-20 AS WIDE ANGLE

-- original (either nikon or Canon) 18-135 or similar

-- original (either nikon or Canon) zoom +/- 70/300

-- Flash

-- battery grip (I have to admit, this item just because it looks cool, not because I will really need)

Which camera system (body + lenses) would you go for?

I repeat it is not 100-200$ to change my life, I want something good to grow with me and my passion,

Which lenses do you suggest (to stay at a reasonable price according to the use I will have for the camera)??

Thanks a lot for your inputs

PS: LAST AND LEAST, IS IT TRUE THAT SIGMA LENSES SOMETIMES HAVE PROBLEMS WITH CANON CAMERAS, WHILE THEY ARE ALWAYS OK WITH NIKONS? I was told by a Nikon guy that the connection Sigma made to fit Canons it might be a problem, have you ever heard of it?

ducatifever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:46 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I would say go for either the Nikon D200 or the Canon 40D.

To start with on the Canon I'd suggest getting it with the 17-85 IS and the 70-300 IS, in fact you may even be able to find a kit with both those lenses in.

Add a decent flashgun, the 430 EX at a minimum and leave a bit in reserve. In 6 months time you will want to expand your outfit, but that should get you going.

Nikon have a very similar setup - there is the nice new 70-300 VR, and either the 18-70 or 18-135. That will get you started.

I'd suggest holding off on the superwide or other specialty lenses for a few months while you get used to the system, you may find your priorities change once you start using the camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:21 AM   #3

a good wide angle is the real reason why I am dropping the Fuji s7000 and buying a DSLR camera.....

There is the Canon 12-...something which is just 150-170 us$ more than the Sigma, I will probably get that one in order to stay safe

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Don't forget that there is a very big difference between a 35mm equivalent focal length of 35mm (fuji) and 28mm on the canon or nikon 17-x.

You might find you don't need 15/16mm equivalent as much as you think.

For the best lens reviews check out http://www.slrgear.com and http://www.photozone.de
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:55 AM   #5

Do you believe it is worth to buy IS series for a lens i will barely use like the 70/300?

I agree that the IS would be ok for the ones I use the most, but I fear I will use the zoom too little.

On the other side, once I have a good horse in my barn, I don't have to change it anymore and it is like spending a few $$ more today and don't regret tomorrow.

Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:46 AM   #6

Just out of curiosity, but have you considered the Pentax K10D? It's cheaper and will all you to purchase better glass... Just a thought. Pentax does not have a huge line of fast long lenses, but they do have everything you are looking for including the battery grip. Also, with the Pentax system, you are going to be stabilized with any lens you mount on the camera.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:02 AM   #7

I think you really can't go wrong with either the 40D or the D200. And in the grand scheme of things, there isn't a lot that distinguishes the D200 from the D80, so if the differencesaren't important to you, save yourself some money, unless 'cool' matters here too.

And I think you should definately get the IS (or VR) version of the 75-300. That's the lens you'll need IS (or VR) for the most.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:28 AM   #8

No the "cool" factor on the body doesn't matter at all, with a baby boy on the way I get everyday shocked by the expenses related to this birth.

At the moment 1 body + 3 lenses (the wide angle is the most needed as said).

I will wait for the flash and other toys, the built in flash will do 99% of my needs anyway.

Oh boy! I didn't know that a son/daughter costs a fortune:blah:I will have to be a magician to squeeze all my hobbies inside the Budget