Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1

I bought an FZ7 a few months ago but sold it because the image quality wasn't very good, and the camera was too big (the zoom was nice, but I didn't really need it).

I need a camera that will be good for snapshots inside and out, andfamily portraits that can be enlarged to 30 X 40 (yes, big picture above the mantle.Our kids are young, so the family portrait needs to be replaced at least once a year, and we can't afford to pay a professional that often.) I don't want a DSLR until my kids are grown.

I want a fast camera with fantastic image quality and some manual control (aperature priorty mode is most important). Cost is an issue, but not the primary factor.

Which of the following Canons would you suggest? SD8000, A570IS or A630 (and is the extra 2 megapixels of the A640 worth an extra $50?).

The A570's flash recycle time bugs. The other two don't have IS. The DIGIC II hack is intriguing, but don't know how much of a benefit/hassle I would have to deal with.

Any info/opinions would be great!!!

Lisa

lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2

Lisa-

Just a personal opinion, but, I think that you would have to go a bit further up the Canon food chain to get enough resolution and sharpness to make really creditable 30" X 40" enlargements. Take a look at the new A-650IS, the G-7, or the G-9. Also be sure to use a tripod when doing portraits, as it will make a very measureable difference. For example here is the kind of photos the Canon G-7 is capable of taking.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:54 PM   #3

Thank you for your input. A little out of my price range. Maybe 30 X 40 is unrealistic. Of the 3 I listed, which would you suggest?

Thanks again,

Lisa
lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:16 PM   #4

Lisa-

The Canon SD-800IS, the SD-850IS, and the A-650IS, would be my front line choices. My wildcard choice, if size was a priority element in camera selection, would be the Olympus Stylus 780 which offers 7mp 5X optical zoom and can be purchased as a factory refurbished camera from Olympus Auctions on E-Bay for around $(US) 160.00.

There is an excellent review of the Stylus 780 on www.megapixel.net. You might want to check it out.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote