Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2007, 9:54 PM   #11

A dSLR (any dSLR) will give the best results for indoor/low-light shots with the right lens. Unfortunately, the right lens for any dSLR will shoot you past your $500 target.

The Pentax K100D is a fine camera, andit's available for $400 minus a $50 rebate. The Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4.0 isn't a bad low light lens and it's $129, but 28mm isn't very wide (but maybe someone with more experience shooting babies can tell you if 28mm is wide enough.) And the K100D's built-in flash would make up for any of its low-light shortcomings. There's also the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 for $269, which is a very good low-light lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:17 PM   #12

I own serveral camera's like most everyone else on here. I have a Pentax K100D, a Nikon D70, and three P&S cameras two Casio's and an old Panasonic that I would not give up for anything. I would suggest.

If you are a serious and experienced photographer and want to take pictures of more than just the baby, any of the low cost DSLR bodys on the market will do, but it will shoot your budget over the limit.

If you are just a normal person who wants to take snapshots for you and your family, I would suggest you look at one of the following P&S cameras. 1. Panasonic TZ3, excellent zoom, great wide angle. Fuji f40, excellent low light camera. These cameras are all small, fit in the baby bag well, and take exellent pictures.

Suggestion: If you live close to a camera store, or even Best Buy or CIrcuit City, go there feel the camera's see how they feel in your hand, make a small investment in a memory card or cards that will fit what you are looking at, take some pictures with the cameras, I know Circuit City will let you do this, then take your memory cards home and look at the pictures on your computer, compare and you should be able to make your choice a lot easier.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:28 PM   #13

Thanks 2many, you may have hit the nail on the head. The Evolt e-330 and similar cameras may be a little too much camera for me. I don't want to spend the money on features that I probably would not use. Maybe once I get some experience I can look at a higher end camera in the future.

I will check out your suggestions and look at the P&S cameras. I think they may be more my speed.

circuit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:29 PM   #14

circuit1 wrote:
Quote:
One thing I should add is that I would like a camera that will give me good picture quality for making prints. With all the relatives, I will printing out alot of pictures and so that is an important detail.

Kepp the info coming, you guys have been a world of help so far. I am so glad I found this site, it is awesome.

Thanks so much!!!
Printing is another subject all together, It all depends on whether you are doing the printing or your having it done. If you are doing it, it depends on a good quality photo printer, and good quality photo paper. and how much work you want to do in photoshop or one of the other editors.

I have shopped around at some of the local places to get prints made, and found most do a fairly good job, Walmart refused to do prints for me once after they saw the picture, "we cannot print copyrighted material from professional photographers" was their statement. Please, I am a hobbyist, far far from a professional, I just took a nice picture.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:25 PM   #15

circuit-

Take a look at http://www.dimeprint.com. Ten cents a print and no hassling with a finicky printer. Amazon has the Fuji F-20 at $149.99 and there is a $50 Fuji Rebate. That is pretty hard to beat.

If you want 6X optical zoom, take a look at the new Canon A-650. Again it is still a jacket pocket sized camera.

And finally is you want to come down even further on size. Look at the Olympus Stylus 780. Full IS and 5X optical zoom in a very small package with wonderful image quality. Olympus Auctions over on ebay regularly sells them for around $150.00 and they are a great little jeans pocket cameras. I have one and carry it with me all the time.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:32 PM   #16

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
circuit-

And finally is you want to come down even further on size. Look at the Olympus Stylus 780. Full IS and 5X optical zoom in a very small package with wonderful image quality. Olympus Auctions over on ebay regularly sells them for around $150.00 and they are a great little jeans pocket cameras. I have one and carry it with me all the time.

Sarah Joyce
I agree with you SJ, the Olympus stylus 780 is a bargain, I kick myself whenever someone says something about that camera, I gave mine to my son to take to Iraq, hopefully he will bring it back LOL.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:41 PM   #17

Thanks Sarah, I will check that one out. I have been doing some more searching on the net and found a camera that sounds really good on paper, but I know stats can be deceiving.

It is the new Sony DSC-T200 which is due out in a month or so. The specs seem good plus it has a huge 3.5" lcd screen. I am thinking with a screen that size, would I ever use a regular viewfinder.

Great, could I make this any more difficult???

If you guys want to kick me off your forum I would completely understand.
circuit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:32 PM   #18

circuit-

If I remember correctly, the Sony T-200 has a touch screen, which to me is a whole differnt kind of animal. I bought the Sony N-1 with a touch screen, and it is a PITA camera to use. So please be sure you are OK with a touch screen.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:58 PM   #19

circuit1 wrote:
Quote:
If you guys want to kick me off your forum I would completely understand.
Its what this part of the forum is for, Everyone learns from everyone else. We all had to start somewhere, so keep up the questions.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:29 PM   #20

circuit-

You can see that over the years, I have posted close to 6,000 posts on this Forum. Those posts were mainly to help or assist fellow photographers. As 2many has pointed out. The whole purpose of this part of the Forum is to offer advice, to help and to assist folks in any way we can.

Yes, I am both a Professional Photographer and a certified Digital Camera Instructor who really likes to help. Thus, I am able to bring a certain amount of expertise and experience to my participation in this Forum.

Sarah Joyce