Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:33 PM   #1

My wife and I are having a baby and I wanted to purchase a new digital camera. I have been doing alot of research and am totally up in the air on which to buy. I will be taking picture inside and out along with lots of still and moving pictures in the future.

I am looking to spend around $500.00 or less. The main things I am concerned with are of course picture quality, along with a nice lcd screen and decent zoom. Also being able to take movies with it would be nice.

Two cameras that I looked at that seemed decent to me are the Sony DSC-H9 and the Olympus Evolt E-330. I can get either of these cameras for $400.00. Nice thing about the Evolt is that for $400.00 it includes the body & two lenses. The 14-45mm and 40-150 mm lense.

Any input on either of these, or if you recommend another camera that you think might be better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
circuit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:54 PM   #2

The E-330 plus the two lenses for $400 is a good deal, but the lenses are pretty dim so you won't be able to use them very much indoors without a flash.

The Sony DSC-H9 is better for low light, and it's almost as wide as the 14-45 on the EVolt.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:04 PM   #3

circuit-

Thanks for your post. When considering a new camera, especially for a new/young family, the issues of portability and priority come up right away. As the parents of eight, my husband and I have carted many diaper bags, strollers, toys and the like around over the years. I am not finding fault with your camera chaices, I am just asking you to consider that with a new baby your family's expenses are increased due to the totally new items that must be acquired for the baby. And secondly when the baby is old enough to travel and move about for those visits to grandparents and the like, the issue of portability comes to the forefront.

Perhaps you might get equal, or nearly equal IQ, more flexibility, increased economy, and greater portability from cameras like the Canon S-5IS, A-650IS, or A-720IS. Please re-consider the Sony H-7/H-9. As a digital camera instructor, I own a Sony H-9. The H-9 will do wonderful macros, excellent snapshots and family portraits, but where it will fall down is in the area of long zoom and low light level shooting, where it is fighting to gain traction in terms of resolution and sharpness. It's just a thought. If you like Sony, pck up a Sony H-2 camera, which can be found on e-bay at around $200.00. In the final analysis though, you must do what is best for your family.

When we became grandparents and no longer had the children at home, and no longer needed all of those items to take with us on our every family outing or trips, we could become DSLR users and have room for two large camera bags to carry all of the needed DSLR items with us.

Once again, I want to suggest options, I am not attempting to change your mind. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice, if anyone else has any input please feel free to share.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:05 PM   #5
Super Moderator

For me it was exactly the opposite.

Until the baby came along a P&S was fine. Then I realised how poor the image quality was compared to the SLR and got the DSLR.

It all depends on your priorities. I was a pretty decent amateur photographer with my film SLR. Then I had the digital P&S for a while and loved its convenience but not the image quality, so I moved to the DSLR. Best thing I ever did.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:43 PM   #6

Thanks Peripatetic, so you would suggest going with the Evolt E-330? I agree that picture is priority.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:17 PM   #7

circuit1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, if anyone else has any input please feel free to share.
$400 for the E330 and both kit lenses is a great price. The 14-45 is f3.5-5.6 and will be a bit dim at the long end. The thing is you will have another lens that will give you f3.5 at 40mm. The 40-150 that came with the E330 is f3.5-4.5 and is a bit brighter than most kit lenses.

I don't know about the sony, but I have doubts that there will be much low light advantage. In fact, I'd tend to think the advantage will go to the E330.

The E330 is well reguarded by those that own it, but unless you want to control more aspects of your photography, the superzoom may be your best choice.

If you want to push yourself to learn and improve your photography, the E330 will get you better results. If you want to take the camera out ant take pics with a minimum of fuss and bother, go with the Sony.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:38 PM   #8

All the current crop of DSLRs are capable of excellent results when used properly. Try and get to a store where you can handle the various models and see what fits in your hand better and what feels best held to your eye. You are buying into a system so make sure it has what you may want in the future as it gets expensive to switch brands later.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:51 PM   #9

I agree that a dSLR will give you better results than a P&S, but the lenses you mentioned for the E-330 just aren't bright enough, and switching between them for their focal length vs. aperture is going to be problematic. I'm not a big fan of either of the lenses in your package deal, but with a decent flash, the 14-45 could work. You might be able to get away with the flash built into the E-330 for some shots, but you should probably plan on adding a real flash later. Either that or a lens like the Sigma 24mm f/1.8, 18-50mm f/2.8, or the 30mm f/1.4.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 9:03 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help. I am not set on either of those cameras, they were just two that stuck out to me. I am new to this so trust me your advice is a huge help. I have been doing some more research and found one more camera that seemed like a good choice.

Canon PowerShot S5 IS

One thing I should add is that I would like a camera that will give me good picture quality for making prints. With all the relatives, I will printing out alot of pictures and so that is an important detail.

Kepp the info coming, you guys have been a world of help so far. I am so glad I found this site, it is awesome.

Thanks so much!!!