Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:12 PM   #1

Hi all, my first and only digital camera broke after two years "Sony Cybershot DSC-w1 5.1 .I've been shopping around and i'm able to get a hold of a mint Minolta Dimage 7 digital camera (2001)with 5.2 Mega Pixels,with the Minolta GT Lens (7.2 –50.8mm 1:2.5-3.5 APO) for 200.00 I only want spend around 200.00 tops. Is this a good deal or can i get something better, newer for the same price.

I'm looking for a camera with great picture quality mainly outdoor that's great with taking multiple crisp sports shots in action.

Please advise as soon as possible ..

thanks

Omi7000

Omi7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:17 PM   #2

omi7000-

In large measure it depends on the kind of photography that you are now doing, or want to do in the future. How much zoom do you really need?

For example, a Sony H-2 which is a very good ultra zoom can be purchased on e-bay for around $(US) 200.00 or less. The H-2 has IS just like the KM but almost twice as much zoom capability while having more mp and better image quality.

To give you a much better answer, we have to know a bit more please. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:05 PM   #3

Zoom would be a plus more than a need. IS though is very important as well to be able to take good quality shots from fast moving objects.

Based on reding i've donw now. It would probably be better to get either a DSC-H2 or S-3 IS ? can i get with either one of these, or will i fall short?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:16 AM   #4

omi7000-

Both the Canon S-3IS and the Sony H-2 are very good cameras that would serve you well. The S-3IS can be purchased new for around $(US) 280.00, and would include a full one year guarantee from Canon. Although less expensive, the Sony H-2, I don't believe, can be purchased new any longer. Office Max here in the USA was closing them out new for $(US)199.99. However, I had been told that stocks were virtually depleted.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:29 AM   #5

Omi7000 wrote:
Quote:
Zoom would be a plus more than a need. IS though is very important as well to be able to take good quality shots from fast moving objects.

Based on reding i've donw now. It would probably be better to get either a DSC-H2 or S-3 IS ? can i get with either one of these, or will i fall short?
Hello and welcome to Steves. Before you make a purchase, I'd like to clear up some misconceptions. I'm a sports shooter and I think you've been misled regarding important features for doing action photography. For 'fast moving objects' IS is not relevant. IS does not freeze the motion of a subject it prevents camera shake on the photographer's part. Camera shake usually occurs at SLOW shutter speeds. For action photography you need FAST shutter speeds. I'm not discounting the benefit of IS in other situations - but for most sports photography you want fast shutter speeds (the exception being when you want to show motion blur as you sometimes do with bicycles, motorbikes and cars).

However, what IS important for outdoor sports is having enough reach in the lens.

Other things are very important for taking "good quality shots of fast moving objects" - how well the camera does at what's called servo focusing - this is where the camera constantly re-focuses as you have the shutter button halfway or fully depressed, shutter lag time (amount of time between when you press the button and when the shutter actually fires). In some sports like baseball, t-ball, etc you can pre-focus (on the batter or at a base where a play is going to occur) so you can compensate.

Also coming into play is ISO performance of the camera. Above I mentioned that shutter speeds are very important to getting good action shots. In daylight that means shooting at ISO 200 - if overcast it can mean ISO 400. The Dimage isn't going to perform particularyly well. Until recently, action photography hasn't been a goal of digicam makers - but they've made great strides in the last year or so in iso 400 performance, servo tracking etc. The H-2 Sarah mentioned isn't bad in this regard. You'll need the zoom much more than you'll need IS for the sports you'll be able to shoot (remember if the shutter speed is so low you need IS it's too low to be taking action shots anyway).

A $200 budget is going to be extremely difficult to get "good quality shots of fast moving objects".

If you can stretch your budget a bit, the S-3 for $280 as Sarah pointed out may be your best bet (plus you get the IS you want). For the money it will be hard to beat. But remember, you're going to have to have good light to get good results from cameras in this range. Getting action shots in poor lighting (even outdoors - overcast conditions at 7pm is poor lighting) is going to be beyond the capability of cameras at this range.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:26 PM   #6

I appreciate feedback and wealth of information. For the last 24hr. i've been doing alot of reseach and reading. But more importantlydeveloping a strong case to present to my queen :lol:. I've read alot of good things regarding the s-5. In addition to the reasons stated earlier, i know that she would appreciate a camera with good video performance and be able to appreciate good quality outside shots for when we go on vacation. So now i up'd the bar to $340-$350, that's probably where i'll be able to strech it to, but do i need it? will the s-3 suffice or get a s-5... or a FZ18. :?

thank you
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:14 PM   #7

omi7000-

The Canon S-5IS represent an excellent value. And it has by far the best video capability. Consider the hotshoe as an absolute bonus for now. Next year, you can get the external flash, and it will cost no more than $120.

Take a look at the Canon Point & Shoot Folder and check out the S-5IS Flash Tutorial All the details are right there.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:20 PM   #8

Excellent Sarah, sounds like a winner to me.

Thanks for all of your help and everyone elses as well

p.s. Is there an online site that is highly recommemded with low prices?

Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:52 PM   #9

omi7000

www.buydig has always been very reliable for me. High reseller ratings too!

Sarah Joyce