Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1

With all the great DSLR's on the market to choose from I have narrowed it down to these two choices, the Sony A700 and the Pentax K10D. The K10D is price lower than the Sony but I would have to buy lenes for the K10D. As the A700 costs more I already have Minolta AF lenes bring the A700 price down some. Are lenes from a Minolta 5000 (35mm flim) camera up to current lenes quality, 28-70mm and 70-300mm AF lenes. Or would I be better off just getting new lens and starting (oh the expense) all over again. Opinions please.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:35 AM   #2

Your Minolta 28-70mm f/2.8 G was recently listed usedfor $1,200 at B&H Photo. It would be a shame to let go of that lens, but it would pay for the K10D.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:45 AM   #3

Calicajun-

The only really definitive way of knowing if your existing stash of Minolta lenses will work properly on the new Sony A-700, is to try them on a K-M 5D, 7D, or an existing Sony A-100. Perhaps our resident expert on Minolta lenses, Moderator, JimC will drop by and add a word or two of wisdom on this topic.

My guess is that they most probably will work on the new Sony A-700, but frankly I am not 100% sure.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Your Minolta 28-70mm f/2.8 G was recently listed usedfor $1,200 at B&H Photo. It would be a shame to let go of that lens, but it would pay for the K10D.
On the other hand, if that's not the Minolta 28-70mm f/2.8 G you're talking about, but a 28-70 & 70-300 two lens set, they aren't really good lenses, nor are they worth very much, so they shouldn't influence your decision one way or another. The Minolta 5000 was (is!) a fine film camera, and those lenses don't do it justice. If you want to use those lenses to save some money, I think you should just get an A100 and some better lenses.

I hope this doesn't sound brutal. The Minolta 28-70mm f/2.8 G is a very fine lens, but the 28-70 & 70-300 two lens sets (from Sigma, Tamron, et. al.) are cheap ways to get started. Putting them on a ~$1,000 dSLR would be a waste.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:51 AM   #5

craig,
just get the k10d or the soon to be released k100d super. both cams are excellent and beat the sony hands down in features. yes , i biased. also the sigma 70-300 APO lens is a really nice budget lens. since i've had mine the IQ has been greatly improved. i can't believe some of the shots i see from it.. also, there are a few million great screw mount lenses out there you can pick up for peanuts. many of the older K & M & A mount are great lenses also. i know the kind of photography you shoot and i think the pentax should be your choice. see you over in the pentax dslr forum. you already have buddies there also.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:31 PM   #6

Well, after getting all excited about maybe having a lens worth about $1,000, I rushed home from work to double check. :sad:The two lenes we have are just the standard "D" AF Minolta lenes (slow ones at that) though they do work on the Sony A100 (try it in store). So I'm back to square one, think I'll just let the wife pick one. Being that all the mid to upper DSLR's are fine cameras which ever one she picks, there is sure to be a forum that thinks it's the best one out.

Thanks All,

Craig
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:30 PM   #7

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Well, after getting all excited about maybe having a lens worth about $1,000, I rushed home from work to double check. :sad:The two lenes we have are just the standard "D" AF Minolta lenses ...
Sorry I got your hopes up.

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
...So I'm back to square one, think I'll just let the wife pick one.
There's a lot to be said for that.

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Being that all the mid to upper DSLR's are fine cameras which ever one she picks, there is sure to be a forum that thinks it's the best one out.
Absolutely. Good luck.

Canon and Nikon have the broadest selection of cameras, lenses and accessories, and are available almost anywhere. And that's hard to beat. Sony dSLRs can use the considerable inventory of older Minolta lenses available on the used market (and in private collections:-).) Pentax has some really good fast wide angle to medium telephoto lenses. Olympus has the smallest, lightest dSLRs and lenses on the market.

It comes down to what's important to you, or your wife.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:34 PM   #8

Well good thing I don't mind shopping, at least the wife says I don't mind shopping.

Thanks,

Craig