Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:57 PM   #1

I have spent so many hours researching this that my eyes are hurting. You all know so much about all of this and I would appreciate your opinions. I need a camera to take pictures of my decorative finishes inside. I am willing to spend up to $2500.00 but would be thrilled to get what I need for about a $1000.00. This is a business expense and my pictures will be used for business cards, postcards, print ads and my web site.

Currently I have a Casio Exilim(sp?) not sure of the model # just that it is 6mp. I paint a lot of textures, embedded glazes, raised relief, venetian plasters, etc. I just can't get the depth and dimension of my finishes to show. The salesman at the camera store said that light was a problem of mine and suggested a 2 light kit.

Thanks for your help.
artisticpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:19 PM   #2

You won't find this advice often but it sounds to me like you found a salesman who knows what he is about. You are going to need the external lighting regardless of the camera if you want to capture the textures.

You might find that the little Casio does OK with a proper lighting setup. If not you would probably do best going to an entry level DSLR. For the output you are looking for I don't think you need to spend $2500.

Learning some post processing helps regardless of the camera. Post one of your shots and someone can give you an example.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:13 PM   #3

I will get the lights. Thanks. I would love to post a picture or two but after trying to figure it out for quite a while last night (too embarrased to admit the actual time). I think that I know how to include a link but not the actual picture. It never came up on the preview.

So far I am leaning towards the Nikon d80. Good choice? What would be the best lens for what I need?
artisticpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:00 PM   #4

I believe that a Nikon D-80 would be overkill for the project as I understand it.

To post a photo:

(1) Reduce the photo file size, so that there are less than 240,000 pixel present.

(2) Save the reduced size photo file on your computer.

(3) At the bottom of the send message form you will see a blank box on the bottom left. Click on the Browse button, go to your saved file, select it by clicking on it, it will appear in the box to the left of the browse button, click on the send button at the bottom right of the message or post form, the picture selected as long as it is 240,000 pixels or less will be attached to your message/post.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5

Good advice so far!

Lens chloice would depend on the size of your subject matter and the distance you can move away from it.
The entry level zooms that come with many camera packages are not usually so good.

As for DSLR there are many brands and models out there, and they are all good! Which one you pick will lock you into that brands lens and accessory system.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:22 PM   #6

I agree with Slipe: you found a good salesman.

Not sure what lighting you will need for what you are trying to do, but lighting is *MCUH* more important than getting a new camera. A dSLR will give better results than a little digicam, but better lighting will go a long way toward what you want. When you figure out the lighting, that would be the time to think of a better camera. Since it could take some time to figure things out, there isn't a lot of point in doing serious shopping for a new camera right now. Look at them, think about it, and by the time you are really ready to buy you will have a fair idea of what you want.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:25 AM   #7

Thanks so very much, Bill-

Those are indeed, very wise words. Let's hope that artisticpaint heeds them. For what he or she wants to do, the lighting becomes paramount. When the lighting equation is solved, everything else will fall into place.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote