Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:28 AM   #1

Hello,

I just read the review for the 770SW, and I'm very inclined to purchase it. I'm going travelling through SE Asia next month and think it'd be pretty nice to have a camera that I don't have to worry about getting wet.

Anyway, searching online I found that there's now a 790SW, and it's $100 cheaper than the 770! Can anybody tell me why it's so much cheaper?

I've had an Olympus D-565 Zoom for years, and my one big complaint about it is that it takes extremely long to take multiple pictures in a row (I'm talking 3-4 seconds or more). The review for the 770 says it's only about 2 seconds from turning it on to the first picture, which is good. Can I expect the 790 to be similar?

The prices are:

770SW: $449 CDN
790SW: $349 CDN

There's little to no reviews of the 790 available online, so I was hoping someone here has the camera. Thanks for your help!
devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:59 AM   #2

These pages should highlight the differences:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=1314&fl=2

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=1287&fl=2

Major difference - 770 - waterproof to 33' - 790 - waterproof to 10'.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 3:37 PM   #3

Hmm, thanks for that! That seems a little strange that they're charging $100 less for a camera simply because it is limited 23' feet less underwater.

I wonder if the picture quality of the 790 is not as good as the 770?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:02 PM   #4

devin-

We really won't know about the Image Quality of the Olympus 790SW until a professional review is posted.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 5:33 PM   #5

Concur with Sarah that we won't know the image quality until professional reviews are published but the pressure difference between 10' and 33' is fairly significant (about a third of a pound per square inch at ten feet vs.roughly a pound and a quarter per square inch at 33 feet)which could make much of the price difference.

By the way the SW Stylus cameras maybe a an overkill for your purposes. All the digital Stylus series cameras are "weatherproof" which mean dustproof and water resistant sufficently to be used in a normal rain. We have about 300 of those models and we've never had one damaged by either dust or rain. Only the SW series are shock resistant and can be used underwater.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:20 AM   #6

Ah ok, thanks you two.

Any idea what the Canon SD1000's water resistance is like?

Old Sep 14, 2007, 8:35 AM   #7

Canon makes no claims on either water-resistance or dust-resistance for the SD1000 so I think it would be prudent to protect it from dust and rain. Canon does offer a waterproof housing, WP-DC13 for the SD1000. Although Canon's site doesn't list the depth spec for that case other similar housings are spec'd to 130'. That would be very waterproof and dustproof.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:10 PM   #8

Cool, thanks.

Would this be considered a "professional review"?

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Olympus-Mju-790-SW-1

I figure this Mju is specific to Asia? But likely it's very similar if not identical to the American version, am I right?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:00 PM   #9

Yes, it's a professional review but a pretty light weight one. I checked a couple of their other reviews and light weight seems tne norm. They at least try to make their test images under at least somewhat controlled conditions. As you can also download their test images you could download images from several comparable cameras ans compare the images yourself.

As the site is based in England is Mju the UK market name for what we know as the Stylus series?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:50 PM   #10

Hi Y'all,

My first post here, and I am totally unqualified to portray myself as some kind of camera guru or expert....

but here it is...

In my opinion, the Olympus 770SW is basically junk. It has two things going for it...It's fairly rugged and can be dropped in your pocket and it is small enough to be dropped in your pocket.

It is not waterproof is my main concern. I live in the tropics, on a small Caribbean island, and I bought this camera because of the specs and the great reviews. But less than a year after I bought it, it started developing problems as soon as it got submerged a couple of feet. It doesn't flood..(That would be a blessing, actually), it just stops working. I have twice now baked it at 180 deg. and got it working again. I talked to Olympus and of course they tell you to send it back...but if you read the fine print.....if it leaks...tough noogies.

but my main problem with it is the software. It cannot take a decent telephoto image. I have tried a thousand times. It's just rubbish, out of focus, bad exposure. I think there is something wrong with the way the autofocus works. There is no manual way to just set it for infinity. But I have yet to be able to get a single zoom pic out of this thing.

There are other software issues, like, why would you buy a camera that has an alarm clock function. Why would you want a "my favorite" thing going on....I mean,you just want to take photos and process them, right? I don't know what the Olympus people were thinking with all the useless bells and whistles, but this thing really should take a lesson from Sony. It's a camera. Not a place to store your favorite photos. Not an alarm clock.

And while you are at it...make it waterproof, and fix the infinity focus.

2Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote