Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:52 AM   #1

I am thinking of buying a Nikon Digital SLR. The reason i want to go Nikon is beause I cuttently have a Nikon N65 film camera and have been very happy with it. I have a Tamron f4 18-105 that goes with it. I would like to use the lens on the new D40 which is why I'm leaning to that model. (I'm also trying to save a few $$$)

A camera store person told me that not all lenses AF functions are supported by the D40. So I check Nikon's website and it says that AF-S and AF-I lenses are fully supported. My lens shows markings of AF [IF]. Does that mean I have and AF-I lens that is fully supported? I need autofocus and metering to be supported.

If I cannot use this lens and have to start over completely, I will look long and hard at the Rebel XT since it reportedly does better in low light situations with high ISO settings. I photograph a lot of moving trains in less than ideal lighting conditions, so that may be an advantage.

Can anybody offer insigt into my lens issue? There are contacts on the thing, but I am not the most knowledgable when it comes to equipment. I read a postyesterday regarding Sony cameras and minolta lenses and it seems that there are some very knowledgable folks here.

Thanks!
wmshay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:00 AM   #2
Administrator

No, your lens wll not Autofocus on a D40. It's not a Nikkor AF-I lens. You're seeing a Tamron designation that stands for Internal Focus. But, it does not have a focus motor built into the lens.

No Tamron or Tokina lenses will Autofocus on a D40.

You'll want to look for Nikkor AF-I (Internal Motor), Nikkor AF-S (Silent Wave Motor), or Sigma HSM (Hypersonic Motor) lenses if you want Autofocus with a D40 or D40x.

Or, go with a different Nikon DSLR model (for example, a D80). All Nikon DSLR models except for the D40 and D40x have a focus motor built in, and you'll need one for your Tamron if you want Autofocus.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:07 AM   #3

As I understand it, this was not an issue with the D50, but they are no longer available unless used?

And the D80 is more than I wanted to spend if I'm not mistaken? I could get a complete new Rebel outfit for less $$?

Any thoughts on the Rebel over the D80 for general snapshots and railfanning? I know it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, but I'm not a pro- or even much of an accomplished ameteur for that matter.
wmshay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:13 AM   #4
Administrator

Nikon discontinued the D50. Again, all Nikon DSLR models except for the D40 and D40x have focus motors (including discontinued Nikon DSLR models). So, a different used model would also allow Autofocus with your lens.

As for the Canon, you'll have to decide if you want to go that route. But, your Tamron won't work on it either (it's a different lens mount).

A D40 kit would probably cost you less than a Canon kit if you're starting over from scratch though (and there are a number of AF-S lenses out that will Autofocus on it). There are some holes in the current lineup (for example, Nikon doesn't have much in the way of bright primes with AF-S yet). Personally, I'd want a camera with a focus motor, so I could take advantage of more lenses (both new and used) without focus motors. But, the D40 is a well liked little camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote