Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:05 PM   #1

I know there are probably other posts out there already that ask this question, but since I don't really know much about what I'm asking about, it all starts to blend together and I don't understand any of it and I am on a pretty short time frame to accomplish this. Let me explain what I am looking for and if anyone can suggest a product or even what I should be looking for that would be much appreciated. I work for a company that requires all of our field workers to have a badge made. Now we don't want it to be those really expensive credit card type badges because our rollover is rediculous to the point that these people only work maybe a week or two before quitting. We make a generic badge using Excel after importing the picture and then laminate it. What I'm looking for is a camera that can download the picture as it's taken directly to my computer and gives us the capability to see the image either on the monitor and/or a TV monitor. The camera we have now is a Canon and it has worked great until recently. I'm not sure why but the cards keep getting corrupted and I can't help but to think that repeatedly (and I mean daily) taking pictures and deleting them from the card has something to do with it. This camera does have remote capture capabilities, but it does not have the ability to be plugged into the wall so we are going through batteries like water. I don't know if I've given enough information or not and I'll try to check back soon for any replies. Again, any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Cost may be an issue for us but it's possible that if I can explain to him this is our only option vs. one of those really expensive badge making systems he'll go for it. Sorry this is sooooo long.
kinlye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:22 PM   #2
Administrator

kinlye wrote:
Quote:
The camera we have now is a Canon and it has worked great until recently. I'm not sure why but the cards keep getting corrupted and I can't help but to think that repeatedly (and I mean daily) taking pictures and deleting them from the card has something to do with it.
Format the card using the camera's menu choice for format prior to each reuse. That insures you start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it since it's performing the format.

Quote:
This camera does have remote capture capabilities, but it does not have the ability to be plugged into the wall so we are going through batteries like water.
You are using rechargeable batteries, right? If it takes AAs, use high capacity NiMH Batteries.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

What camera model is it?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:30 PM   #3

Depending on your printed picture size requirements, you might be able to use a hi-res USB web cam to take the picture and paste directly into your application without having to download from memory cards.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:43 PM   #4

Thank you guys for your quick response. I've been really busy here and are just now getting back to check it. The camera we are using now is a Cannon PowerShot S400. It uses the battery pack instead of actual batteries. We've tried a WebCam, but the greatest resolution we could find was a HD 1.3 megapixel and it wasn't all that great. We have to take the photo with the potential employee holding a board with a number on it as we cannot connect the name with the picture until after the person is hired for discrimination purposes. If we only took the picture of their face, it might work, but we cannon. I guess for the minute we'll just get a few more battery packs and just keep changing them out as they go dead. I didn't realize we had to re-format the card each time. I'll definitely try that to see if it helps with our memory card error problem. Again, thanks for all your help.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:43 PM   #5

OOps. I mean AM just now getting back. He he
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:44 PM   #6

Full of typos today, I mean't to say but we cannot...
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:41 PM   #7
Administrator

AC Adapter:

http://www.adorama.com/ICAACK500.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote