Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:04 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm new to the site and thought it the best place to ask this. The more I read about different models, the more confused I am.

I currently use a Sony Cybershot that takes blurry pictures, with very high shutter lag. I miss "the moment" almost 100% of the time.I'm looking for a camera that is compact (can fit in my purse or jacket pocket), has a large LCD screen, and of utmost importance has low shutter lag, so I can capture 2 active boys -- without fussing with a half dozen controls to "progam" the shot.

From what I've read, it seems like Image Stabilization is important, as well as having manual controls. If having manual controls means that I have to fuss with buttons each time I go to take a picture, then forget it. I use this camera mostly in the house and yard - nothing fancy. However, I want the pics to turn out excellent. Every picture is aprecious memory. I also read that having an optical viewfinder is great, but I can't remember the last time I used the viewfinder on my Cybershot, so it's not a necessity I guess.

And, my price range is around $300 or less....I've been Sony loyal, buthave been disappointed in them lately, from my camera to camcorder, and would like a Canon Powershot (they seem to all get good reviews and are user friendly), however would entertain other brands.

Can anyone help?!

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:12 PM   #2

Becks-

Yes, we can help you a great deal. It really all depends on what you want and how much you have to spend. At the low end of the budget, you can go to Olympus Auctions at e-bay where you can find a FE-180 model for $(US) 60.00 delivered to your home. The FE-180 retails for $(US)160.00 up to an E-330 model that is usually available for $(US)320.00. The E-330 retails for $(US)450.00. My favorite is the weatherproof Stylus 780, which generallyb goes for around $(US) 150.00. The Stylus 780 retails for around $(US) 250.00.

In between is the 10X optical zoom Fuji S-700 that sells for under $(US) 200.00. All have very little shutter lag and are good buys.

Now, would you please tell us about the photos that you like to take, and the amount of your budget, please?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:22 PM   #3

I really dont' want to spend more than $300.Most of the pictures I take are of my children and family shots, inside and outside. I have no intention of taking night shots or firework shots....! I need these photos to be ultra clear ones, not only for myself but because theyare postedonto a family website. My kids move...so I need somethign to capture them!No blurries!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:20 AM   #4

Becks-

I really believe that to get the camera that is the "perfect fit" for you that you are going to have to do some introspection and some forecasting. We now know for the very first time that your budget is $(US) 300.00 and below and that you want sharp, clear photos as apparently you have young children.

The text and the terms that you have used thus far, don't tell us much about features such as how much zoom, how many megapixels and the like. So let's do this. I will recommend three specific cameras for you to take a look at, and to investigate. After doing that, perhaps we can get more specific.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 13, 2007, 1:22 PM   #5

Thank you so much for giving me some options to compare. I think I'm leaning towards the 850 because of it's size, however.....

I'm not sure how important the 'manual exposure controls' are for someone like me - who doesn't like to fuss with modes each time I go to take a picture. Would the option of manual controls really give meTHAT much more image clarity, if I learn how to use them?! I guess what I'm asking is what exactly will those manual controls do for me, and what is ISO???!! Sorry to sound ignorant....!

They all seem to perform well in the area of shutter lag, which is my biggest beef (along with blurriness) with mySony Cybershot....but that camera is 4 years old now.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:03 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Get it for sure!

It's a fabulous deal, and (as someone who learned on an old film SLR before the days of autofocus) I think a D200 would be great to learn on.

The great thing is that once you have the camera there is no penalty for taking lots of shots, which there was in film days.

Spend a bit of time learning the technical basics and soon you'll be working on the creative side. In fact I know some people who still use film SLRs who know very little about the technology side - they focus on the creative side far more, and they seem to manage just fine.

Just my opinion of course...
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:15 PM   #7

Becks-

Firstly, please understand that any of the Canon cameras on my list can be shot in the full automatic mode, the programed automatic mode, and in a manual mode. So these can be fully considered as excellent pick it up quick, aim it, and take the photo, kind of cameras.

ISO is really equivalent to film speed. As you no doubt remember film was available in various ISO or ASA film speed. So, if you need to take your photo in measurably less light compared to a sunny day at 3:00pm, by increasing the ISO setting numerically, you will still be able to take a photo, that would have otherwise been an impossible shot.

So the cameras that I suggested are surely cameras that you could "grow with" as your photographic knowledge increases, as well. Should that be your desire. In short, they will give you more flexibility and a quicker way to feel more confident about your photos.

Sarah Joyce