Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:31 PM   #1

growing a bit tired of my current camera DSC-p200 and wanting some of the new features (IS, bit more zoom, etc).

Picked up a Panasonic TZ3 at Sam's Club along with a 2gb extreme 3 card. Got it a few days ago and it seems really nice. I'm a casual picture-taker, I don't usually go messing with exposures and the like but it is nice if the options are there and easy to understand.

Since I got the TZ3 I've been reading about the Canon SD850IS and the 870IS (successor?) and especially how the 850 is a very good well balanced camera with essentially no real complaints here that I could find. I see it has a 4x and the 870 has a 3.8x I guess I'm missing something , why would they make two so similar cameras at the same time?

The 10x is nice on the TZ3, but not something I can't live without.

I've described my usage (mainly outdoors, IS is a must for indoor pictures with me, I can't hold any of them still longer than a second or two it seems . 7/8mp is fine for what I do, I don't print them, just store them on CD's.

Is the Canon worth the same price as the TZ3 (309.99) right now? Which would you pick and why if I can ask?

thanks
Hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:56 PM   #2

hellspawn-

The $(US) 309.00 price for the Panasonic TZ-3 is roughly the current internet price on the camera. The difference between the Canon SD-850IS and the SD-870IS is that one has a 28mm wide position on the zoom and the other does not.

People generally like the Canon SD-series cameras a lot. SD-series cameras always receive good professional and user reviews.

The metal casing and the optical viewfinder on the SD series cameras, which a lot of cameras, like the TZ-3 do not have, add greatly to their appeal.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:37 PM   #3

Hi thanks for the comments.It does appear that Canon is one of the most-pleased set of customers from what Ihave seen so far.

It seems that the WA 28mm (870 has) is preferred over the 35mm (850) correct?

Asmentioned I'm not that technical, but when I get something like this, I want it to be of course, nice and with as few drawbacks as possible.

That said, it seems that the 870IS gains the WA 28mm view, gets a 3" LCD, and loses the optical viewfinder and has a 3.8 vs. 4.0x optical zoom (on the 850). The viewfinder on my DSC-p200 was so small that I don't think I used it more than maybe twice in about 18 months, so that isn't a big deal at all.

Am I correct on that? I'm seeing the 870 for about $60 more than the 850 right now (quick check of CC prices).
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:33 PM   #4

hellspawn-

A lot of people like the wide angle capability. If you can do without the optical viewfinder, the Canon Sd-870IS will be a great camera for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:05 PM   #5

Right now I can find the 850is for 308 on sale at CC, best price on the 870 is 369, also at CC. So basically a $60 difference.. Looks like a remodel of the back side of the camera in total(versus the 850)comes with that price tag too.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:28 AM   #6

hellspawn-

It always seems to work that way.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:59 AM   #7

I have owned several Canon's in the past, without complaint. However, I was intrigued early-summer with the PanasonicTZ3. I previously owned the 5 MP 10X zoom from Panasonic, but had shake issues when zooming 10X. With that said, I love my TZ3. The OIS and smart ISO features have all but eliminated shake issues. I took some great photo's this summer with it while in the Caribbean and out west (Yellowstone and Glacire NP's). Of course, "great photo's" is relative, as I am rather biased. My only complaint is Panasonic's lack of viewfinder. Although most of my pictures were outdoors, I did not have to do that much shieliding of the screen from the sun. I really feel that Panasonic and Leica did a fine job on this camera.
TTT103 is offline   Reply With Quote