Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:34 AM   #11

snowairg wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for every one of your comments thus far. I appreciate your time. It seems like I can pretty much flip a coin for whatever camera body to purchase. It's a matter of finding some fast lenses to go along with it...
Remember that the in-body IS of Pentax and Olympus will give you at least a couple more stops, making the importance of very fast lenses less relevant. The two kit lenses with the Olympus E-510 are probably the best of any furnished with intro kits, and for their size/weight, well worth having even later on. If you want something with more reach and a bit faster, the ED 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 would be the logical choice, but it's about $800, and unless you're well-heeled, it can wait until you decide what kind of photography really needs the investment.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:40 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Some good advice so far, the only thing I'd disagree with is that if you are buying a "crop" DSLR then the 28-70(ish) zooms are no longer "standard".

28mm *1.5 => 42mm - which isn't very wide at all for indoor use.

The crop equivalent focal length is something like 17-50 (approx). So have a look at the 17-50 f2.8 zooms - they are available for any of the cameras you are interested in.

Tamron, Sigma, Tokina all have reasonably priced options in that range, and Canon and Nikon each have a very good and very expensive 17-50 (approx) f2.8 zoom as well.

My personal inclination would be to go for the Pentax K10D and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. $620+$420 = $1040 from B&H.

That leaves you wanting an extra lens for car racing, but something like the Sigma
Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF

only goes for around $220 and should do the trick.

P.S. Thanks to TCav for pointing out that the Tamron isn't available in the Pentax mount. (So I edited this post.) It is available for Canon, Nikon and Sony.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:21 AM   #13

The comparison between the Nikon D40x and the Pentax K10D is of interest to me as I'm also looking at acquiring a clean, lightly used one this fall. Several manufacturers are introducing 12MP versions this month, and I'm wondering how much this will affect the street value of a nice used 10MP model?

What would be anyone's guesstimate on either the Nikon or the Pentax's worth this week? Say for a body alone, or perhaps a body with a third party lens? I have one individual who has a Pentax K10D with 2+ years on the warranty, and his only lens is a Tamron AF 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 ASP XR IF Macro. And he has the boxes, receipts, and everything else. Might not be the best prime lens, but you can always buy another down the road.
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:06 AM   #14

drgrafix wrote:
Quote:
The comparison between the Nikon D40x and the Pentax K10D is of interest to me as I'm also looking at acquiring a clean, lightly used one this fall. Several manufacturers are introducing 12MP versions this month, and I'm wondering how much this will affect the street value of a nice used 10MP model?
Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus still have 8MP and even 6MP models that are selling well. I don't think that the introduction of 12MP models will shake up anybody's prices very much.

drgrafix wrote:
Quote:
What would be anyone's guesstimate on either the Nikon or the Pentax's worth this week? Say for a body alone, or perhaps a body with a third party lens? I have one individual who has a Pentax K10D with 2+ years on the warranty, and his only lens is a Tamron AF 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 ASP XR IF Macro. And he has the boxes, receipts, and everything else. Might not be the best prime lens, but you can always buy another down the road.
B&H has a used K10D for $619. KEH.com has that lens for about $100 in excellent condition (though not for the Pentax mount.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:10 PM   #15

TCav wrote:
Quote:
snowairg wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I was mistaken on the 70-200mm lens, it's actually only the 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX lens...
The 55-200 is not a fast lens. Are you happy with the shots you took with that lens? Do you think you'd need a faster lens than that? ... a longer lens than that?
I've been very pleased with most of the indoor shots of my pets even though all of them have been with a flash. The shots of car races I've taken, however, have not been as pleasing. To minimize the number of lenses I have, I'd ideally like a great 17-55mm and something like a 70-300mm. Thanks for many of your tips, I'll have to research some lenses a little bit more using the sites you suggested.
snowairg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:11 PM   #16

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
snowairg wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for every one of your comments thus far. I appreciate your time. It seems like I can pretty much flip a coin for whatever camera body to purchase. It's a matter of finding some fast lenses to go along with it...
Remember that the in-body IS of Pentax and Olympus will give you at least a couple more stops, making the importance of very fast lenses less relevant. The two kit lenses with the Olympus E-510 are probably the best of any furnished with intro kits, and for their size/weight, well worth having even later on. If you want something with more reach and a bit faster, the ED 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 would be the logical choice, but it's about $800, and unless you're well-heeled, it can wait until you decide what kind of photography really needs the investment.
Good point on the built in IS. That could help save money by not having to get the fastest IS lenses that are big bucks...
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:13 PM   #17

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
My personal inclination would be to go for the Pentax K10D and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8. $620+$420 = $1040 from B&H.

That leaves you wanting an extra lens for car racing, but something like the Sigma
Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF

only goes for around $220 and should do the trick.
Thx for the advice. I will look into something along these lines...
Old Sep 14, 2007, 3:37 PM   #18

snowairg wrote:
Quote:
I've been very pleased with most of the indoor shots of my pets even though all of them have been with a flash. The shots of car races I've taken, however, have not been as pleasing. To minimize the number of lenses I have, I'd ideally like a great 17-55mm and something like a 70-300mm. Thanks for many of your tips, I'll have to research some lenses a little bit more using the sites you suggested.
Perhaps, if you don't mind using the built-in flash, you can save your self some money and stick with the kit lens. Most kit lenses are reasonably good.

And Sigma has a 100-300mm f/4 that might suit you. It's available for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, andSony for $989. There's also the Olympus 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5, which because ofthe smaller sensorin OlympusdSLRs, is equivalent to a 67-267mm lens ona Nikon, Sony or Pentax, and it goes for$725.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 6:06 PM   #19

Well I just reviewed some photos I took outdoors during dusk of cars with the 17-55mm and am not impressed. Looks like I need to work on my skills a little more in this area...
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:40 PM   #20

Post some, and let's see what happened.