Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:12 PM   #11

JimC-

Many thanks for your post. I agree with you completely. The Tamron 18-250mm lens is indeed a versitile lens, but none the less a dim lens. My thought was that a good external flash on the DSLR camera could cover those types of photos. I know that my Nikon SB-800 could probably handle the chore.

I am sure that you can see what generated my post. The whole idea was to provide a logical and simple launching platform for the folks just getting started with a DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:14 PM   #12

This is a chart I created to show the focal lengths and maximum apertures of my lenses.

The KM (Tamron) 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 was my first lens. It is now, by far, the dimmest lens I own at any focal length. The lesson I've learned from my superzoom is that it was a waste of money. I paid $500 for it, and KEH will buy it from me for $219.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:25 PM   #13

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I know that my Nikon SB-800 could probably handle the chore.
So, after someone buys a dSLR and a Tamron 18-250 on your recommendation, when are you going to tell them that they also need a $300 flash? [suB]:-)[/suB]

And remember that the Tamron 18-250 doesn't autofocus on a Nikon D40/D40x.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:11 PM   #14

Mind you, I don't own this lens, but the phrase "Jack of all trades and master of none" comes to mind. Unless you have to travel light (still I think this is not the lens I would choose) with only one lens, I can't see much point in buying this lens to start the DSLR phoography. Optically or build quality wise this lens isn't ideal, neither it's cheap at $500. IMHO it's a much better idea to buy a camera with a kit zoom and add a 50-200 or 70-300mm lens, now you even have a choise of VR, IS or whatever lenses. You can even squeeze in a third party TTL flash and it will be still cheaper than camera body + Tamron 18-250mm and better. Although I have to say, that the idea of a lens that can cover about 90% of usually used phocal ranges does look attractive, but not just yet and not with this lens. Personally, I would rather have a DSLR with all the usual accessories and lenses and a good quality superzoom digicam for those 'travel light - one lens/one camera' occasions.
I may be completely wrong here.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:23 PM   #15
Administrator

I'll be the first to admit that a one lens solution is attractive.

Heck, my wife has many thousands of prints from a one lens solution on a Nikon Body, and she used the same lens for many years, never once asking me to get her anything different.

But, that one lens solution was a 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 (a 2x zoom lens). ;-)

Many other photographers have gone with a different one lens solution (for example a 50mm), without needing more lenses.

I think the issue is that new camera owners expect to have huge zoom ranges available now. So, in order to entice them to go with a DSLR solution, camera and lens manufacturers are going to accomodate them, whether or not they need that kind of zoom range.

Personally, I keep a 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 on my camera most of the time (giving me approximately the same angle of view I'd get using a 36-127mm on a 35mm camera). That's a very good compromise from my perspective (sharpness, zoom range, brightness, etc.) and works well in most conditions I'd use a camera in.

I only switch to other zooms or primes when I need something brighter. I really don't use longer lenses much. But, I can understand it if others do want/use the super zoom type lenses, despite some compromises in optical quality.

Any lens choice is a compromise (focus speed, optical quality, size, weight, cost and more), and each user will have different preferences in a solution to meet their needs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:25 PM   #16

Well, I guess I am at least loosing on this one!

At the outset, it seem like an easy way to ease newbies into a DSLR camera. However, you have made some very valid points, and I will certainly admit, with ease, that you have all raised very valid and correct points.

I will agree, that while it seemed very convenient, there is most probably no single DSLR lens solution that will handle every photo situation.

However, it was a fun discussion.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:31 PM   #17

Well, if they would just extend the range to 500mm at the long end, and maintain a max aperture of f/2.8 trhoughout, at the same price...... :-):evil:

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:45 PM   #18

Brian-

I love your approach! I'd go for that one!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:57 PM   #19

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Well, if they would just extend the range to 500mm at the long end, and maintain a max aperture of f/2.8 trhoughout, at the same price.
It would probably be soft atthe longend. :-)
Old Sep 15, 2007, 7:42 PM   #20

TCav-

I won't rat on you if you become human for just a few moments. VT and I were just sharing a bit of joint humor. Is that so difficult to understand?

Sarah Joyce