Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:53 PM   #21

I am going to put together my final choices with reasons against each. You could help by giving me your honest opinion. I don't think it will change much from what we have discussed.

When I actually start to use the equipment I don't know if there is any place to post images where somebody would/could comment on them.

There is a person at work that I show vacation pictures to and he is very willing to comment of their quality. I have gone from him saying 2-3 are good to maybe 20-30 (out of 500). At one time he took pictures for a newspaper but has gotten away from that. Now I think it is just a hobby. By the way - - that 500 is culled down from 2500 so progress is slow. I think, with having more control over what I do, the images may not be any better but they will be different. Bill
ghpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:12 PM   #22

ghpots-

That is why we are here. We truly want to assist you in your final, and rather crucial choices.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:02 PM   #23

Here are my latest (probablyabout final) selections. Many thanks to each of your for your input.There have been some changes as a result of your comments but probably more than anything you have let me know I am not way off base in what Iam planning on doing and I really appreciate that since money is not all that easy to come by as we all know.

A little moreon Uncle Ned's demise. Asyou will recall it was due to an unfortunate combination ofalcohol and a husband returning too soon. Well, it turns outNed heard the door open, grabbed his pants and bailed out the window.He forgot aboutSweetie Pie (the pit bull) stationed just below the window. With one hand employed in hitching up his pants and the other trying to clear the fence he had nohands available to prevent Sweety Pie from latching on to his left cheek. Thus distracted heran into the road only to be hit by a '87 bluepick-up with a bright yellow door and white fender.

Sweetie Pie was rewarded with a lifesizeconcrete statureby the front door for scaring off a robber. We never told the real story. What's done is done.

Again, thanks for all your advice and I welcome any additional comments you might have. Bill

Est. Price

% total

Schedule

Camera:Canon Digital Rebel TXi

Size fits my hands better than the Nikon. It feels good to me.

$615

17%

now

Lenses:

Wide angle (probably wrong term)

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 very good reviews (beats Sigma @$180 and close to Canon).

$369

10%

now

EF 70-200 mm IS USM f/4.0

Half the f/2.8 price. Don't do a lot of low light stuff. -Great reviews.

$759

21%

Dec

EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM

Wild life. Animals often a long a long way away.

$1,396

38%

Jan/Feb

Tripod, extra battery, bag, additional stuff.

Estimate probably understated.

$500

14%

now

$3,639

Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:36 PM   #24

Good Luck!

I'm sure you'll be very happy with it!

Come back and post something!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 4:27 PM   #25

XTi body is small, 70-200 and especially 100-400 are quite large and heavy - the overall balance of the camera won't be comfortable. Consider adding a BG-E3 battery grip to your list, it improves the handling especially with telephoto lenses and rarely comes off my cam, even when I use it with a small and light 50mm f/1.8 lens.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 4:56 PM   #26

algold wrote:
Quote:
XTi body is small, 70-200 and especially 100-400 are quite large and heavy - the overall balance of the camera won't be comfortable. Consider adding a BG-E3 battery grip to your list, it improves the handling especially with telephoto lenses and rarely comes off my cam, even when I use it with a small and light 50mm f/1.8 lens.
Good idea, especially for the Arctic where batteries don't last as long.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:02 PM   #27

Well, I purchased the camera and lenses. Should have them in a couple of days.

What do you know about spare/replacement batteries?

I have looked at a lot of places on the internet and find a very wide range of prices. I would think that with this sort of thing you would get what you paid for to some extent (although brand names would command a little more).

Do you have any comment?

Bill
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:51 PM   #28

Sarah,

What do you know about batteries? I will need to buy extra sets of rechargable batteries and the prices run from pretty steep to pretty cheap. My guess is one gets what they pay for.

What do you think and what would be your recommendation? If you read the reviews for the cheaper ones you get a lot of good reviews but who knows if these are filtered or not.

In any case I welcome your opinion.

Bill
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:35 PM   #29

Sterlingtek makes excellent batteries at a reasonable price.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:08 AM   #30

Thanks