Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:52 AM   #1

Uncle Ned passed on (due to an unfortionate mix of alcohol and a husbandwho got off work a little early) and left me some money. I am thinking of buying the following and would like more experienced opinions. I shoot family gatherings and wild life. Africa was the last opportunity but most of the travel is in the tropics (high humidity).

This is what I propose. Let me know what you think.

Camara: Digital Rebel TXi

Lenses:

EF-S 18-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

EF 70-200 mm IS USM

EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM

Camara selection was because of picture sharpness and ease of use. Lenses (I think) get me the birthday party and the equivalent of a 8X binoculars with the 400mm. IS may make the lens more useful when hiking.

Lenses would not be bought all at one time. I would start with the 18-85mm and would try each at the dealer before purchase.

Thank you in advance.
ghpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:29 AM   #2

ghpots-

Well, a tip of the hat, and a sincere thank you to Uncle Ned. The selection that you propose is a logical one. The only real area of varability that I can see is in the first lens choice: The Canon 18-85mm IS lens.

Photographers seem to have their "favorites" in this zoom range, so it will be interesting to see any suggested alternative lenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:02 PM   #3

ghpots wrote:
Quote:
Uncle Ned passed on (due to an unfortunate mix of alcohol and a husbandwho got off work a little early) and left me some money.
My condolences on the passing of your uncle Ned.

ghpots wrote:
Quote:
This is what I propose. Let me know what you think.

Camara: Digital Rebel TXi
Good choice.

ghpots wrote:
Quote:
Lenses:

EF-S 18-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

EF 70-200 mm IS USM

EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM
I don't see a Canon 18-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS. I do see a 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 USM IS and an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Is one of these the one you were looking at?

Also, youlisted the 70-200, but didn't mention the aperture. It's available with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or f/4.0. They areboth great lenses, butthe other two lenses are fairly dim. I was wondering if you were aware of that, or if itwas something you had overlooked.

But it looks like a fine setup, to me.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the response. I have spent hours looking at specifications and reading reviews but this is exactly the inforamtion (or comments) I need. I have a general idea of what I want to accomplish but will re-look at my choices with what you had to say in mind. Speed in important. About half of the stuff I take is moving.

It was good to hear you thought I was headed in the right general direction although my specific choices might be a bit off.

Bill
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:35 PM   #5

Sarah, thanks for your comments. This is the sort of thing I need. At least you think I am headed in the right direction although some of the choices might need to be reviewed. This helps me very much.

It always helps (although it really helps either way) when you hear that you are not way off base. It is better than hearing "Are you crazy? Don't buy those!".

Bill
Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:53 PM   #6

The 100-400 mm is f/4.5-5.6 IS USM. It is the only apature option they have unless I want to go with a prime but I don't think that is for me.

So, if I go with this one I think I am stuck with the slower speed but I really think I want the farther reach. A lot of the things we saw both in the Amazon and in Africa were a long way away and this seemed like my best option of weight and reach.

Thanks for your comments. I find all this very very confusing and (because of the expense) want to have taken the time to consider as many options as I can. I appreciate your comments.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:02 PM   #7

ghpots wrote:
Quote:
... Speed in important. About half of the stuff I take is moving.
What will you be shooting?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:11 PM   #8

The 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 is reasonably fast for a 400, but pretty dim for a 100. But that's what the 70-200 is for.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:17 PM   #9

We like to take vacations. And, I have to assume the places we will go will be similar to where we have been.

We were in Africa (Ngorngoro crater, Massai Mara, Serengiti), before that the Amazon, before that the Galapogose. Most of the things I really like to shoot are animals but they tend to be a long way off and buried in some tree (not easy to focus on). We are going to the Arctic next and this will consist of very large views as well as (I hope) close ups of seals on ice flows, whales, and a lot of sea birds. In between that will be Copper Canyon in Mexico - - again large vistas with specific things a long way off.

I really don't do much with people around home or at birthday parties.

I like to do close ups of birds and critters around home but my primary concern is documenting (well enough for somebody else not to go to sleep when I show them the pictures) of the places we go.

Bill
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:19 PM   #10

Tcav - - thanks for the information.

Bill