Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:20 PM   #11

I apologize, TCav, but you are WRONG on this one!

My photo this afternoon (09/17) was taken with the 6mp Nikon D-40, using the camera's built-in flash and the Nikon 18-200mmVR lens at about 4:00pm PDT. That is a LONG way from the old Canon 10D!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 9:35 PM   #12

mtclimber,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was replying to the OP. In another topic that I recently came across, he or sheasked if there was a firmware update for a Canon EOS 10D.

I've edited my post to make that clearer.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:52 PM   #13

TCav-

Just a minor point, Sir. But, I just scrolled to the OP post, this OP does not even mention one single word about the Canon 10D. That I see, comes later in the thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2007, 3:56 AM   #14

Hi,

I'm really happy that everyone of you concern about this topic..and give me so much idea and opinion.

Regarding the 10D.that's belongs to the company,so for i myself wish to get a Long and Wide built in Lens and the picture quality + spec as like as a Pro cam.That's easier for me to bring along and get the pro-like quality picture..

Another hand,10D and higher Pro cam didn't have the Flexi Multi Angle LCD preview while shooting...some of the angle shoot might need to guess...

Because of that,i start this thread and ask for opinion..
MacTreoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:12 AM   #15

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
...this OP does not even mention one single word about the Canon 10D.
MacTreoUser wrote:
Quote:
mtngal,

So,you are highly recommeded the FZ30 or even FZ50 to me?

Did you meant even like Canon 10D or Nikon D40 Semi-pro cam oso c'ld not fight the FZ30 or FZ50?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:17 AM   #16

MacTreoUser wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the 10D.that's belongs to the company,so for i myself wish to get a Long and Wide built in Lens and the picture quality + spec as like as a Pro cam.That's easier for me to bring along and get the pro-like quality picture..

Another hand,10D and higher Pro cam didn't have the Flexi Multi Angle LCD preview while shooting...some of the angle shoot might need to guess...

Because of that,i start this thread and ask for opinion..
In that case, I will leave you in mtclimber's most capable hands. She is well versed in many kinds of photography, and infinitly better qualified than I to recommend the kind of camera you're looking for.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:50 AM   #17

Guys, let's not start the flame wars. Using emoticons when posting a joke or a sarcastic remark usually helps as well :G

MacTreoUser, you have a really nice list of requirements :-), AFAIK there is no digicam that offers all of them, unfortunately.

Taking the manual zoom and wide angle lens as main features shortens the camera list even further, and leaves you with:

Fuji S9100/9600 (no Li-Ion battery, but 28mm lens)

Panasonic FZ50 (not really wide, but long lens)

Kodak P880 (really wide, but short lens, no flip screen)

Samsung 815Pro (nice wide and long lens, slow operation, no flip screen).

Personally, considering the price and performance (especially in low light/high ISO conditions)of these bridge cameras, I would be looking for a beginners DSLR and saving up for good lenses, but YMMV :-)and I can be completely wrong here. I used to have S9000/9500 and was reasonably happy with it, I'm just happier with a DSLR now.

Good luck choosing your camera.

Regards,

Alex

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:40 AM   #18

I think that Alex, or algold makes a really good point-

Mr. Mac, unfortunately, there is no camera out there that has all the features on your list. The cameras that come the closest, or a different way of saying it, have the fewest compromises are the consumer level DSLR cameras.

The consumer level DSLR cameras can be equipped so that they are essentially one lens solution cameras. A good example is the Nikon D-40 or D-40X equipped with a Nikon 18-200mmVR lens. That combination gives you a focal length range in 35mm terms of 27mm to 300mm all with full IS or image stabilization. As an alternative instead of the Nikon lens, you could go with the Sigma 18-200mmOS lens. The OS is Sigma's term for IS. That lens can be fitted to any number of different DSLR bodies such as the Pentax K-100D which mtngal posted about. It has in body IS. The Sigma 18-200mmOS lens can also be fitted to the Canon 350D/XT or the 400D/XTi DSLR bodies. So there are lots of options out there.

While I really personally like bridge cameras and ultrazooms a lot, when the are compared to your initial requirement list, there are just too many compromises, just as Alex or algold pointed out.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:57 AM   #19

And I want to personally and publicly offer my apologies to TCav-

It took a total re-reading of the entire thread to find the reference to a Canon 10D, but I managed to find it. Thus I apologize for failing to catch that detail and for my response to TCav.

TCav is very thorough in his research and very dedicated in always be ready to help our many posters in this all important folder. The error was mine and I apologize to TCav.

Sarah Joyce

Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:20 AM   #20

I'm good.

I apologize for the miscommunication that ultimately resulted in your feeling you needed to apologize.