Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:02 PM   #11

Nice photos, Alex-

There seems to be a change in strategy here. At the beginning of this thread we heard the budget element be stressed, now it seems to have shifted about 180 degrees.

IMO, the Canon XTi is the better choice, but it will also require more cash at the outset. And yes, the XTi is much more ISO capable than the S-5IS will ever be, as the S-5IS is just about limited to a setting of ISO 200 and below. In the long haul, the XTi is the better choice even if you have to add lenses incrementally.

However, has there been a major improvement in the budgetary limits that will allow a XTi choice? Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:44 PM   #12

Dear Sarah,

No Budget increase, Sorry if I have given the impression that priorities have changed maybe I could not explain in the beginning that staying within budget limitations of say $ 300 - $ 400, I want to buy a digital camera that has a very good picture quality. My first and foremost priority is the result.

I was impressed with the quality of Sebastian photos specially stockholm photos, this is exactly whatI am after and this iswhat I want to do with my camera, do travel photography. If this Camera (S5 IS) can take those photographs than there is NO Doubt in my mind on what I am going to buy. Problem is I was browsing Internet and visited a site www.dcviews.com that had tested the S5 IS in a number of ways and finally had concluded that its picture quality wasmediocre, though it had a good movie making system. I hope they are wrong because after seeing Sebstian photos I was sold out to S5 IS, but after reading there expert opinion I am afraid I started wandering whether I am on the right track or not

The truth is Ifeel confused, I like S5 IS for its Looks, Functions, Rotating LCD, Movie function and Price and also hope that with all these capabilities it would take good resolution photographs.My Priority # 1 is itsimage qualityand notits 12 X Zoom, I do not plan to take long distance shots, , I want to have photographs like we see onwww.flicker.com. If the camera does not take very good pictures in low light conditions and that is its only weakness than that is also fine with me as long as it produces good result in day light and its functions deliver what they are meant for, my choice would be S5 IS, but if at the end of the day the camera does not produce a beautiful, memorable imagethan for me all its functions and zooming capabilites are worthless. In that case I will have to look at some other camera. I hope I am making myself clear.

At the end, I thank you all for bearing me and guiding me all the way. I hope all you people would after readingthe above tell me if I am looking at the right type of camera (S5 IS), I am a photoenthusiast alright but am New to the world of photography, so have limited knowledge. I can only understand the conclusions and not the technicalities of the cameras.

Thanks and anxious for replies.

photoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 9:28 PM   #13

Well it will happen without me in the mix-

We are leaving tomorrow 09/22 to do 2.5 months of camera workshops. So I hope that I will indeed be excused. Good luck to all.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:03 PM   #14

I wouldn't let one review scare me off so badly. Everyone has their own (often conflicting) opinions. Do you find yourself agreeing with this reviewer a lot? Do you have a reason to trust this person other than the moniker "expert"?

Have you looked at the sample pictures yourself? I find it especially helpful to look here at Steve's and at places like www.imaging-resource.com, where they take the same photos with different cameras. It really helps me get a sense of the differences. Then, I look at others photos.

As soon as I can swing it, I find it very likely I will be getting an S5IS. I compared it to a number of other Canons in person, in the store. It feels great in my hand and takes pictures very, very quickly which is important for me, since I have a two year old and dogs, none of whom stand still for photos. I actually would have preferred something with a smaller form factor, but I decided that the experience was so much more enjoyable with the S5IS that I need to sacrifice pocketability.

I also tried a friend's XTi., but I can't afford it. It sounds like you can't either. I don't really want the bigger body or the hassle of lenses, but the images were tempting. I thought about trying to afford it. But, when all is said and done, it's not a good life choice for me. The s5is will be affordable and make me very happy. Plus, I want the movies. I am always taking quick clips of my daughter.

Take a look at the images. And decide how big you are going to be printing. If you are like a lot of us, printing 4 x 6s, is the image quality worth the money you don't have? Maybe. I make that choice sometimes. But not this time.

Joy
joyelyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:36 PM   #15

I hear a lot of people say that they only plan to take daylight pictures, so low light capability doesn't really matter to them. Then I hear them complain that their pictures are coming out blurry or grainy. I guess if you're only going to take pictures on a nice sunny day, between the hours of 10 and 2:00, you can get away with shooting every picture at ISO 100. If that is the case, then any of the cameras mentioned in this thread will produce awesome results (as well as a couple of hundred that haven't been mentioned). Therefore, simply pick the camera that has the features you want most...150x zoom, IS, twisty swively LCD's, snow mode, museum mode, beach mode, pheasant under glass mode, etc. - they will all take acceptable pictures in bright daylight. Unfortunately, memorable moments, especially of kids, don't always occur at Noon on a sunny day. Sometimes they occur on a cloudy day...or within a half hour of sunrise or sunset...or, Heaven forbid - inside. You might just want to consider what your new camera is capable of under less than ideal conditions...how good is it in available light? How good is the flash? All of a sudden, you'll find that list which numbered in the hundreds, is now down to a handful. And don't think that high ISO pictures displayed on professional review sites are the same as real world pictures - they're usually not. High ISO pictures taken of a subject illuminated with high intensity photoflood lamps is not real world. High ISO pics taken in your living room - now that's real world.

And by the way...if a camera doesn't take good pics in low light, what do you think the videos taken in the same light will look like?

Good luck with your decision.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:21 AM   #16

photoenthusiast, you don't mention what part of the world you're in in your profile, but if you can order from amazon or bhphoto, why not just buy the S5-IS and see if the pics live up to your hopes? if not, you can return it and try another camera - possibly a pentax K100d or a samsung GX 1S, both of which are real DSLRs for very close to the same price as the S5. just remember to read the return policy where you buy - bhphoto requires the camera have taken under 200 pics.

rinniethehun, the low light videos from my S9100 look noticeably better than the low light pics. go figure!
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote