Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:23 PM   #1

Dear folks,

I love photographyand iplan to buy my first specical camera. Iam consideringto buy eitherCanon's Digital Rebel XTi or Powershot S5 Is/ S3 Is. My prime aim is to have a Canon Camera that has a very good image quality, by quality I mean its colours, contrast, depth etc. I would appreciate if some one would recemmond me eitherofthe twobased on the image quality, my second consideration would be its picture modes.

Thankyou,

photoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:32 PM   #2

Can you expand on why it is you specifically want a Canon camera?
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:55 PM   #3

photoenthusiast-

No real comparison or analysis is possible until you specify what lens you will be using with the Canon 400D/XTi.

Generally speaking, the much larger imager on the XTi will offer a very decided advantage in low light level shooting, resolution, and IQ or image quality.

The Canon S-5IS is an excellent ultra zoom camera. However, it is not a lowlight level shoot camera at all. Photo on the S-5IS are best if the ISO setting is held to ISO 200 and below.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4

I think because Canon has a repute for reliability and is considered to be the best brand in the market. I would like to elaborate a little on what sort of photography I am interested in, I plan to use my camera for travel photography and photographing my family. I may also mention I am on a budget and cannot afford seperate lens with a camera. I had selected S5 IS because I thought it hada great many features so it must also has a good image result.

Look forward to some guidance. Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5

I just went through the same decision... here is my post http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87

Long story short I went with the S5 IS and got a great price... I'm 'very' pleased and have everything i need without having the extra expense.

Lots of good links to example photo's etc, the S5 IS is a great camera from what i see so far.

Vince

Vince00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:01 AM   #6

Yes, I would go with the S5IS simply because of LENS cost with Canon, the stock lens that comes with the camera (Rebel),is sub-par at best, but you see, I have a older DSLR and I spent good money on a couple of excellent Canon lenses with IS built in. There is however, a Rebel Xti Kit (which whereas the body comes with one of their "real" or nicer lenses. (It was well worth it, but I was ready to step up..

So what I'm saying is that itI think the CanonS5 is a great"Pro-sumer" camera, and some professionals would call it, a "Throw down"camera becuase they already have a DSLR from Canon.

You know another happy mediumthat is like EXTREMELY new, is the G9 from Canon. Now this camera also ROCKS!When I have my DSRL on me, and then then I pull out the G9, people ask me, if there's anything else that I need to make my whole setup complete? I ususally anwer no. So my point here, is that I belive that the Canon S5 and G9 gives a customer, basically, IMO, what I call, having a DSLR, without having tobuy lenses. Althought on BOTH cameras, you can add/use the SAME Speedlite Flashes on these two models, just like I use mySpeedliteFlash too. My point here with these two cameras, I believe that with all of their abilites and fuctions (having the flexability to use and learn about aperature and shutter speed priority, customwhitebalancing and so on...). I think these two cameras are pro-sumer because they contain and use many"higher-end" funcations that, one would usually find inCanon Rebel orXti. Sure there are differences between having an actual DSLR, and these two powershots; but with all of their manual abilities and menu setups (for ease of use); I think that there is*PLENTY* of room for someone to grow, and grow for a LONG, LONG time with this camera (meaning that for you get through ALL of each of these two camera'sfeatures and functions - to know them like the back of yourhand. And the last thing I tell my friends, who are trying to make thiskind of choice,having such agood camera like the S5 or G9, you may find outself, or rather the camera may outlive *YOU*; You may never getthe point where you would want a "new" camera past either of these. I mean, 12 MP on the G9! WOW you know. Keep us all informed and I hope that I didn't put a "wrench" into your decision making by offering up the G9! But I think all of them mentioned here are winners. You are truly "spot on" when you mentioned to someone about "why" you want a Canon. I mean, with their reputation in the photography industry, they are really number one. They are one of a very select few that actually "own" all their "own" lens technologies, heck they make glass and the lens ALL themsevles, Sony doesn't, Panasonic doesn't and neither does HP, to name three. Canon't R&D goes back almost 70 years to date. Anyone also that is in doubt to Canon's reputation for being the best and the choice among professionals, need only to look at the financial reports that Canon puts out, on their main European web site. Sales, world-wide on Canon cameras are higher than any other single brand, and especially for the DSLR market. I hope this helps the poster because I know he already likes Canon and I'm putting in my two cets.

I also wanted to through in that I've recently purchased the Canon Pixma Pro9000! And I have to say, WOW the Photo-i review and other siteslike this one, really, barely had to sway me; Iabsolutely *LOVE* the Canonphoto printers, I mean, 9600x2400 DPI with ONE PicoLitre droplets? WOW, Espon's best job can lay down a 1.5 picolitre and that's only on ONE of their units, which in the US is the most previous wide-format model. That inch long print head, which has something like 30,000 print nozzles makes thisthingFLY when it prints, speed is amazing.

iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:07 AM   #7

Photoenthusiast-

If you are indeed on a budget, would look at these two cameras, the Canon S-5IS and the Canon XTi, this way. A DSLR system such as the XTi is a continuing investment, as you will need multiple lenses, dedicated flashes, etc, etc. Those who have a DSLR system I would guess are nodding their heads in agreement. In contrast, buying the Canon S-5IS is a sinular investment, far fewer accessory items and lenses are required, other than the external flash.

The Canon S-5IS or even the S-3IS (if you want to save more money) and the Canon G-7 and G-9 are very all high quality cameras. No, they will not have the high ISO/low light capability photos that the Canon XTi can, but they will take great photos and save you many $$$ in the long term.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:51 AM   #8

if image quality is your primary concern, imo the XTi is the way to go. on the other hand, the XTi won't be as versatile as an S3/S5 till you can afford more lenses - although there are some lenses out there that may work for you that are around $100. and if you want to shoot in lower light, as mentioned the XTi will shoot much less noisy pics than an S3/S5.

the S3 and S5 have some very handy features, a nice long zoom, and if there's any chance you'll be shooting movies, the videos from these two cameras look better than any entry level camcorder i've seen. the image quality isn't as good as a DSLR, but is very good.

photoenthusiast wrote:
Quote:
Dear folks,

I love photographyand iplan to buy my first specical camera. Iam consideringto buy eitherCanon's Digital Rebel XTi or Powershot S5 Is/ S3 Is. My prime aim is to have a Canon Camera that has a very good image quality, by quality I mean its colours, contrast, depth etc. I would appreciate if some one would recemmond me eitherofthe twobased on the image quality, my second consideration would be its picture modes.

Thankyou,

pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:30 AM   #9

Dear Pcake

Thanks for your input, to your e-mail, yes My prime concern is the picture quality that i would get, after reading your advice I was wondering can a lens be attached to s5IS and does that improve the quality of the picture andmake itas good asa picturetaken by aXTI.

I am inclined towards S5 IS by reading all the comments but after reading your e-mail am wondering if an XTI picture quality wise is a better choice even after the attachment of a lens to S5 IS.

Regards

Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:21 PM   #10

There are wide angle and telephoto converters that you can attach to an S5 IS camera. They can extend the focal range of the build-in lens of the camera to about 28mm at the wide end (not that wide really) to about 650mm - really long (all in 35mm equivalent focal lenths) range. But (there is this annoying 'but') they don't improve image quality and don't make the camera's sensor any larger and they don't reduce the noise at higher ISO settings. In good light both cameras can take great pictures and you will be hard pressed to spot the difference in prints below A4 size. In not so ideal lighting and with action shots ANY DSLR will run circles around the most advanced digicam (bridge or not).
Not the best examples, but they do show what you can do with a DSLR and a half-decent lens. These were taken in a poorly lit underground carting track at 1/40-1/60sec, F/4.0 (the maximum aperture of my lens :sad, ISO1600 at about 100mm zoom setting:

Don't think I would be able to take those with a digicam and IS won't help in this situation.

These were taken with a cheap kit lens at ISO1600, handheld, 1/13sec, F5.0 at 40mm and ISO1600, 1/50sec, F4.5 at 22mm:

DSLR system is more expensive than buying an advanced digicam, but imho it's worth it in a long run.
Best regards,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote