Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:06 PM   #11

Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into page 75 of the manual again....But I guess the question is: Lets say you are taking a pic with good lighting conditions and the Intelligent ISO is off, and the camera selects 200 as the ISO, wouldn't the camera also select 200 if the auto function is on to say 1600 max.... I have experimented with it..and yes under very low light situations the 1600 max almost sees in the dark....one thing I noticed...the digital zoom will not be active if any Intellegant ISO setting is selected....It will only work if the Intel ISO is set to OFF.
JoeDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:28 PM   #12

The AUTO ISO selection depends on the firmware of the camera. In other words, Panasonic might have chosen to have the camera select the lowest ISO possible in P mode as long as the shutter remains above say 1/60 at maximum aperture. If the speed drops below this value, then the camera will automatically increase the ISO to 200. If the speed is still below 1/60, it increases to 400, so on and so forth. The minimum shutter speed allowed before the camera increases the ISO value is determined by the firmware. If Panasonic thinks that the IOS is very effective at a shutter of 1/15, then that's the value they'll use to trigger an increase in ISO. If you don't like the results of ISO 1600 (say, too much noise), then you should force the camera not to use such a high ISO value unless that's the only option to capture a decent image.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:02 AM   #13

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2007, 2:59 PM   #14

Auto ISO & Intelligent ISO are two different beasts that can be used at the same time. Basically, whenIntelligent ISO is on, the camera is NOT passive - it is checking the subject area for movement. If it detects movement, then it secures a faster shutter speed and uses ISO value to help it.

This is different from Auto ISO, which has ISO based upon light availability Vs correct exposure - regardless of what the subject may be doing.

Also look at page 59, top of right hand column to see how Intelligent ISO actually enhances the scene modes
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:10 PM   #15

Thanks for clearing that up, I really appreciate it.