Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:55 AM   #1

Greetings,

My first digital camera was a Canon S30 3.2 mp. Yes it was a simple point and shoot but took great pictures....After owning it for several years I decided to upgrade to the Canon SD800IS...after owning it for three months I have just returned it via AMEX program. The camera was awful... Skin tones were all over the place with several pics looking pinkish on the skin tones ..also pics were not as "clear and most where very soft as with the older camera which took crystal clear pics (I foolishly sold on Ebay.)

I chose the SD800IS based of the great reviews it received. Well anyway I am now considering either the Panasonic FZ18 or FX33. Can anyone advise?

Thanks
JoeDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:54 AM   #2

Joe-

Welcome to the Forum. The Pany FX-33 and the FZ-18 are decidedly very different cameras. Naturally the FX-33 is much smaller in physical size and it has a much more modest 3.6X optical zoom. In contrast, the FZ-18 is much larger physically, but it also has that very spectacular 18X optical zoom while also providing you with a very nice 28mm wide angle position on that Leica lens as well.

So, a couple of questions please:

How important is physical size? Your post told of a Canon SD-800IS that you had just returned. Does that mean that physical size is a high priority?

How much optical zoom do you really want? The FX-33 has just 3.6X optical zoom, while the FZ-18 has a full 18X optical zoom. That is a huge difference in terms of optical zoom capability.

Both the FX-33 and the FZ-18 are very new cameras. In many cases I have seen them on back order, so finding either in stock, might be difficult in these first few months of their introduction.

So please tell us a bit more please about your projected uses and your desires with regard to physical size of the camera and the optical zoom available to you. Thanks and have a nice day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:34 PM   #3

Sarah,

Thank you for your response. I guess size is not on the top of my list....I understand both of my choices have a wide angle 28mm lens (that is important to me) and I understand the zoom capabilities of both with the FZ18 winning that category.....But if both of these cameras took a simple head shot --- would there be a difference???
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:41 PM   #4

Joe-

The photo from either the FX-33 or FZ-18 at 28mm would look virtually the same. Here is a photo taken with my TZ-3 at 28mm using the 16:9 format. It is amazingly wide.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:04 PM   #5

Thanks for you help......
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:57 AM   #6

I ordered and received the DMC FZ18S. Great camera.... I did have a question about the Intelligent ISO setting. The choices are OFF, iso 100 max, 200 max, 400 800 and 1600. I was confused as too setting a max or the OFF mode????
Old Oct 16, 2007, 7:38 PM   #7

I don't have that camera, but have similar settings on the F20 and the Olympus SP-550. If you put the camera into ISO 400 max, it will use the lowest possible setting to get the proper exposure. In bright light it might be ISO 100 or ISO 80 or 50 or ...In twilight, it might be ISO 400. As a picture setting darkens, an ISO 400 maxISO setting might not be enough. In that case, you can change the setting to ISO 800 max or even ISO 1600 max. The advantage to the high ISO max settings is that youare better covered for shots in low light. The disadavantage is that pictures taken athigh ISOs are sometimes very noisy. Of course, you can always set the ISO manually. With experience, you will discover what works best in various settings. I wouldn't go over ISO 200 for most outdoors daytime shots (unless I was in theArctic in midwinter).
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:26 PM   #8

Thanks...I understand what you are saying...but I am still confused with the Intelligent ISO setting at "OFF"...what does the camera select at that setting??
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:15 PM   #9

Go to page 75 of the user's manual.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:48 PM   #10

I don't have the camera either but I believe the "intelligent ISO" can also be read as AUTO ISO, where the camera determines the ISO based on the lighting condition and shutter speed. The ISO can then range between 100-1600. If you turn it off, then you need to select a particular ISO value (not a badway to goaslong as you remember to increase itwhen lighting condition is poor to preventblurred imagesdue to slow speed).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote