Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:37 AM   #11

No, bayani-

The Canon S-5IS and the Kodak Z-712 are NOT AT ALL similar. Take a look at my answer to a poster named redlar, where I compared these two cameras directly and take a look at the capability and flexibility that is discussed in great detail in my Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial posted in the Canon P&S Camer Folder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:22 PM   #12

I have had the FZ7 for the past year and a half and I can say it's a very good camera, minus the noise mentioned in the previous posts. I went so far as to get a wide angle converter and a teleconverter and they worked very well too. I don't have experience with the other cams you mentioned so I can't compare, but I can give you an idea of what the FZ7 is capable of, and also what the noise looks like as there are a lot of sunrise/sunset/lower-light pics in this set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

It's a great tavel camera, very light. Hope this helps in some small way. You can also go to pbase.com and check out photos by camera.

Todd

btw, image stabilization is great!
tnaskedov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:59 PM   #13

tnask-

What a wonderful FZ-7 Gallery! You should be very proud of your photos! Cameras like the Pany FZ-7, and the FZ-18 which just arrived this morning for me only work for photographers that are willing to work around these cameras' blind spots to get the most of of these cameras.

Cameras like any of the Pany FZ series will not show their best for the average snapshooter whose main objective is to get the picture and have a camera that will do that almost 100% of the time. And please be clear here that is not a negative statement. at all.

But there are cameras like the Pany FZ-series which can provide great photos providing that the user accepts and works around the weak points in these cameras. These camera require patience, but pay dividends.

Here is my moment of excellence from the FZ-7.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:47 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
No, bayani-

The Canon S-5IS and the Kodak Z-712 are NOT AT ALL similar. Take a look at my answer to a poster named redlar, where I compared these two cameras directly and take a look at the capability and flexibility that is discussed in great detail in my Canon S-5IS Flash Tutorial posted in the Canon P&S Camer Folder.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

Thank you very much for pointing me to this thread. I did not realize there is this much of a difference and redlar's post was also very informative.

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:10 PM   #15

Gary-
I am very glad that we could be of help. After all, that is why we are here.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:53 PM   #16

mtclimber

Thanks for the compliment! The fz7 has been great, but my k10d arrives tomorrow. Time to learn my first DSLR, Woo-hoo!

Todd
tnaskedov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:56 AM   #17

Todd-

You have a great eye for photos. I know that you will have a lot of fun with the Pentax K-10. Happy shooting and have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 25, 2007, 1:27 PM   #18

Thanks everyone for the information. After reading all these posts and then handling the cameras, I decided on the Fuji S5700 from Wolf. Couldn't find any of the Panasonic locally and the Fuji just felt better than the Kodak. Guess time will tell!!
romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote