Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2007, 1:50 PM   #1

Looking to step up from an ultracompact but not quite ready for a dslr. Which of the 3 would be best choice for primarily outdoor shooting, with some indoors of grandkids?

Have a Minolta 7000i which never gets used, mainly because of weight/ lens changing.

Sorry about the typo should be an FZ7

romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:41 PM   #2

romer-

If I we making the choice, I would place a higher priority on the Panasonic FZ-7 and the Kodak Z-712 because they have IS, or image stabilization. The Fuji S-700 is a fine camera (I own one!), but the IS feature would make taking photos of your grandchildren a good deal easier for you.

Please understand that you will have to use the camera's built-in flash for indoor photos, as neither the Kodak Z-712 nor the Panasonic FZ-7 are really suitable for indoor photos with out flash.

In actual use I found the FZ-7 to be somewhat more controlable when using flash. The first sample photo was taken with the FZ-7 and the second photo sample was taken with the Z-712.

Sarah Joyce

Here is the FZ-7 Flash Photo:

Here is the Z-712 Flash Photo:

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:56 PM   #3

So Fuji's picture stabilization is not the same as image stabilization?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:10 PM   #4

romer1 wrote:
Quote:
So Fuji's picture stabilization is not the same as image stabilization?
No, it simply boosts the ISO up as far as it can to provide a faster shutter speed, which will hopefully counteract any camera shake.

But that brings with it the penalty of noisy, grainy images.

Image stabilisation is where either lens elements or the sensor itself, is moved to counteract detected shake.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses.

An additional question..what happens if I throw the Olympus Sp 510 into the mix?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:45 AM   #6

romer-

I will do some research, but if I remember correctly, the Olympus SP-510 does not have IS, or image stabilization. I will check and get right back to you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:00 AM   #7

OK, romer-

I am back. The SP-510 does not have true IS. Instead, it offers "electronic" stabilization. This is just like the kind of stabilization that was on the older camcorders so people could make smoother panning motions with their camcorders. It would not be as much help to you as the true IS that is available on the Pany FZ-7 or the Kodak Z-712.

The SP-510 is attractive priced at about $(US) 225.00 to $(US) 230.00, and it does have over 20 scene modes, but it is just a baby step up from the Fuji S-700 who only stabilization is to increase the ISO setting, which gets you into trouble with electronic noise.

No, I still think that you would be better served by either the Pany FZ-7 or the Kodak Z-712. If higher usable ISO settings are important to you, the Z-712 has more high ISO settings that are useable (about up to ISO 800 on the Z-712) while the FZ-7 should be shot at ISO 200 and below.

I hope that helps. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8

Sarah,

Thanks, you are a wealth of information. I guess a $25 premium for the Kodak is not too bad.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:38 AM   #9

romer-

I tend to agree with you. Unless you want to work around the FZ-7's ISO limitations, the Kodak Z-712 does offer more high ISO capabitity and ease of use. I think that it is a better alternative choice and it is worth the extra $$.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2007, 2:09 AM   #10

Sarah,

Let me throw in another option - the Canon S5IS.

What would you recommend; the Z712 or the S5IS? Other than the hot shoe of the S5IS, they seem similar.

Thanks,

Gary
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote