Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2007, 6:56 PM   #1

Hello. I have been lurking for a long time. I really need some advice so it was time to register. I am close to purchasing my first dslr. We have currently own a canon s1 is and a canon s2 is. They are great p&s cameras, but are limiting us. My wife is extremely gifted artisitically and has actually done 2 weddings for friends with the canon s2 is. Suprisingly the pictures turned out very good. Now I want to upgrade to a better camera as she has been getting more interest in weddings due to the other two she did. We also travel a lot and want to get better vacation photos. One thing my wife really really wanted was to have a "live view lcd." Obviously that limits me greatly if that is a factor we have to have. Also I am wanting to keep the price under 1000.00. I have found the Olympus e-510 to be the best option I can personally come up with. Are there any other feasible options? And with the e-510, are there any current owners who can tell me how they feel about the focusing of the camers using the lcd. I was wondering what your experiences were with the auto focus using the live view lcd? Since the mirror has to be temporarily dropped to take a reading then flip back up to continue video feed I was wondering if people had any issues they did not like with this?

thank you for your help.
Duncan_Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:48 PM   #2

The choice is very limited:

Olympus E-510
Olympus E-410
Olympus E-330
Panasonic L-1
Panasonic L-10

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:17 PM   #3

Yeah Sarah, those are the ones I found. However, if for some reason I could make my wife be ok with not having the "live view lcd," what dlsr for under 1000.00 would be one of the better choices? I was looking at the Canon XTI, the Sony a-100, and the Olympus e-510. I really like the Image Stabilization of the Olympus along with the live viewfinder. However, the Sony also has the IS so that was one of the cameras I was really considering. I am struggling right now because I want to get the bestpossible for my money and I want us tobevery happy with it. My wife is a huge scrapbooker and we take a tone of pictures, I mean a ton. I want us both to be happy with the purchase. Right now she is using her s2 is and she loves it to death.

thank you for your help.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4

Any of the so-called "budget" dSLRs take excellent pictures (I hate the term "budget" because it makes you think that you aren't getting the "real deal" and you are with any of the lower cost dSLR cameras). I happen to love my Pentax K100, which is another camera with image stabilization. I've seen some outstanding pictures taken with the Nikon D40 - though it does have less features than some of the other cameras in its class. You really can't go wrong with any of them when it comes to image quality. I don't ownthe Oly E-510so haven't tried to focus using it. My only experience with using an LCD to focus was with a very nice, older p&s and didn't have much success with it. I do MUCH better with the viewfinder on the Pentax camera - and over half my lenses happen to be manual focus.

It does sound like the Oly E-510 would be a good camera for you. Have you handled one in the store? One of the most important factors to consider is the ergonomics of the camera (does it fit your hand, is it too light/too heavy etc.). The best camera in the world can't take good pictures if it is sitting on your shelf at home because you hate carrying or usingit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:01 AM   #5

For a live view electronic viewfinder in a dSLR, mtclimber's list is definitive. Another feature of two of these, the Olympus E-330 and the new Panasonic L10K is that the LCD display can be swung away from the body to provide different viewing angles.

For sensor shift image stabilization, the Olympus E-510, either of Sony's models, and any of Pentax' models (and their Samsung equivalents)are the extent of the offerings.

(The E-410 doesn't actually shift the sensor, but uses a technique where it just chooses a different set of pixels from the image sensor to construct the image during camera shake. This is a physically simpler method of doing the same thing, and is quite popular in digital camcorders, but it reduces the sharpness of the image, so is not popular for high end digital still cameras.)

All Canon, Nikon and Panasonic dSLRs use optical image stabilization, though the Panasonic L10K also uses a process where it increases the shutter speed to eliminate motion blur dueto camera shake, and simultaneously increases the ISO sensitivity to correct the exposure. This is not a well liked technique. Also, the Canon, Nikon and Panasonic dSLRs with live view electronic viewfinders will shoot you past your budget.

So, if you want the live view electronic viewfinder and sensor shift image stabilization, the Olympus E-510 is all there is.

And there is a lot to be said for the E-510. It is one of the smallest and lightest dSLRs available, and, for equivalent angles of view,also has the smallest and lightest lenses. Steve says the image quality is very good at the lower ISO settings, so, coupled with a flash (which you should have for weddings anyway), your wife should be very happy with it.

And while there are other choices, I don't think anything stands out as better for what you want to do.

But as mtngalsaid, how the camera feels in your hands is the most important thing. If you don't like how the camera feels, or you can't get accustomed to it, you'll miss shots while you fumble around with the controls.

Edit: Spelling. Sorry. [suB][/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:20 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Sounds like TCav has hit the nail on the head there.

E510 it has to be. Nice little camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:26 PM   #7

Thanks guys. I will run by best buy and check it out. The e-510 appears to be a very capable camera and would be a good choice even without the live view lcd, if I am not mistaken. From what Steve's review said the regular viewfinder is good so I can always use that if I choose to.

Do you guys have any reccomendations on a flash. I have looked at the fl-36 and fl-50. the fl-50 is kind of expensive. I was hoping that sigma made something like the ef-500 dg super for the olympus but I could not find one. I also read about the vivitar 285hv as being a decent flash.

Again, thank you for your help.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 6:48 PM   #8

By the way, my wife was wanting to know why the s5 is with a hot shoe for the addition of an external flash would not be a good choice for us. I am not an expert in the photography field so I was hoping you guys could explain it on here and I could just relay the information. Basically I just said it does not give as high of quality pictures, does not do as well in low light, and that the lens is being pushed to it's limits in the s5 is. If it is a good choice and I am wrong let me know. I just did not see a big enough difference between the s2 is and the s5.

thanks again.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:48 PM   #9

Duncan_Idaho wrote:
Quote:
By the way, my wife was wanting to know why the s5 is with a hot shoe for the addition of an external flash would not be a good choice for us.
Steves-digicams.com Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy? > Choosing the right dslr

Duncan_Idaho wrote:
Quote:
... I am close to purchasing my first dslr. ...
I, for one, thought that's what you wanted. The S5 IS is a fine camera by all accounts. (I, personally, am not familiar with it.) And when equipped with an appropriate flash, might do your weddings and scrapbooking quite well.

But if you found the S1 and S2 limiting, why would you think that the S5 wouldn't be? Perhaps you couldelaborated on what you mean by'limiting'.

I assure you, however, that, whatever you mean by the term,there is nothing 'limiting' about dSLRs.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:06 PM   #10

Oh, I do want a dslr. I just want to make sure I am making the correct decision. What I have read leads me to believe a dslr would be a better choice for the ability to do what we want to do.