Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1

I know the D300 isn't out just yet, but in looking at the specs of the D300 and the 40D what would you choose and why? I'm a Canon user currently, but have no investment is lenses at this point. If I'm going to make a switch to Nikon, I think now is the time. Also, in your opinion, who has a better selection/quality of len choices? Thanks for helping me get my Christmas wish list together!

Janine
128Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:08 PM   #2
NHL

It depends - Will the $500 make a difference in your budget?
Lens selection is about the same... What kind of photography are you planning?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:14 PM   #3

The $500 isn't THAT big of a deal...depending on what I'm getting for the $500. As far as what kind of photography I'll be doing...I want to be able to do it all. :GIs that an okay answer? My favorite pictures to take today are candid shots of my family in whatever life looks like for us at that moment. Then again, I took a hike this last weekendand really enjoyed taking closeups of foliage playing with depth of field. I also enjoyedplaying around with takingshotsof the reflections in the lake and picturesof the elk and other wildlife. I plan on making an initial investment in a couplelenses and don't want to commit to a line of lenses when a year from now I'll be wishing I should have gone with 'the other brand'. I know this could happen anyway with camera companies one-uping each other constantly. So I guess I'm also asking for educated guesses on if there will be one brand that is likely to be consistently setting the bar high with otherssweating to catch up. My understanding (and this may be a whole other topic) is that in the days of film Nikon was the top of the line. Canon, again my understanding and maybe anerroneous understanding,became the top of the linewith digital and their CMOS sensor. Nikon seems to be catching up. The new D300 has a CMOS sensor. Generally speaking, does Nikon now have the edge? I'm sure some will say they already have. So back to to the original question, do I invest in Canon with the 40Dor Nikon with the D300? I appreciate allthe sharing of knowledge and opinions of Steve's forum participants!

Janine
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:19 PM   #4
NHL

128Mystic wrote:
Quote:
The $500 isn't THAT big of a deal...depending on what I'm getting for the $500
Then clearly the D300 is for you then...

-> You're getting a much more featured camera for that small amount - I would pay $500 for that new 51 AF alone, imagine how much more you would have to spend for the MrkIII on the Canon side?

Also IMO you want a camera to last at least the next two years in that sense the 40D is kind of 'behind' already by that I mean in term of pixels count, higher resolution LCD graphics and HDMI output... so you wouldn't long for the next '50D' for example for the features set to catch up...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:22 PM   #5

THANK YOU! And why do you say that.

Janine
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:23 PM   #6

Oops. Sorry, got excited and didn't read your whole post.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 1:28 PM   #7

In addition tothe 51 focus points the LCD monitor sounds incredible.

Janine
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:06 PM   #8
Administrator

I'd also check out the new Sony Alpha 700. You'll find that same type of Display. Sorry, only 11 focus points. lol But, they are wide area focus points, and it's fast (they beefed up the Autofocus motor, algorithms, sensitivity, etc.)

So, you get faster AF regardless of lens. From my perspective, that's a big advantage of having both Autofocus and Stabilization in the camera (upgrade the body, get faster Autofocus and better Stabilization with all of your lenses, versus being limited to the ability of lens based focus motors and stabilization technology built into a specific lens, and upgrading the lenses to improve them. I'd rather upgrade the body (if I really needed to upgrade) to improve those features, versus needing to upgrade all of my lenses.

Sony upgraded both compared to the A100 (it's got faster Autofocus and better stabilization) so that all of the lenses you use on it can take advantage of newer technology.

Here's a neat flash presentation on it:

Flash Presentation on new Sony DSLR-A700

It's going to be a nice camera.

Quote:
We thank Sony for the opportunity to test an A700 beta unit and look forward to the arrival of a full production unit so we may pass on a full report to our readers. In advance of the review I would like to say I believe Sony has a real winner on their hands.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#a700

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 2:37 PM   #9

Thanks, will look at it now!

Janine
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:04 AM   #10

*CLEARLY* the 40D

The single most technology, that I really like with canon, hence my screen name is iSAPPS. Which means "Intelligent Scene Analysis based on Photographic Space"

In which Canon invisages the scene to be photographed and selects optimal settings of key functions.

"As the user prepares to take a picture, iSAPS estimates the subject-to-camera distance based on the focal length, zoom position and surrounding brightness. It also estimates the camera-to-subject distance by factoring in parameters based on previous shots. iSAPS High Speed AF predicts in advance the focus position based on previously analyzed scenes. Since a correction of the pre-estimated position is all that's needed at the time of actual shooting, less time is required for focusing. iSAPS Intelligent AE/AWB applies optimal algorithms for each shot according to the shooting mode selected by the user, assuring fewer mistakes thanks to more precise exposure and white balance commensurate with the selected mode and surrounding environment."

IMO, the "D" series has been great ever since the 10D (Which is still the DSLR I own and still love! I don't use my camera for profit, just basic enjoyment and yea, I've done a wedding and anniversary before. The integrated cleaning system with the dust "delete" idea is really an evolved feature and now a great benefit to have. Canon't line of "Digic" processors too, have always put them ahead of the pack when it comes to sports photography and high shutter speeds; 40D having also the extensive noise reduction and a14 bit conversion for outstanding color tone and gradations! I mean, 6.5 frames per second and 75 burst mode shots or 17 RAW images! I also like the simultaneous recording of the Raw image with an embedded JPG too. Not to mention, I'm just getting more into what's called "user set color temperature".

Lastly, when I took the plunge, I went ahead and got one of the midline Speedlites (extra flash), and that battery grip - NOW that piece is soo cool because it adds a second battery compartment, so you have the power to last through two batteries AND which that "grip" I don't have to maneuver the camera and be in an akward postion when taking those vertical shots (the grip has the two same buttons that are used to focus and that "dial" for easy setting changes. I mean, I think both Cameras are very good, exceptional, however Canon's been around with "camera" know how for almost 70 years, going back to film. I feel that there are enough, smaller, yet integral features and "technologies", if you will that make the Canon, clearly, the easy choice andone that almost anyone would *NOT* be happy with.

Lastly, and personally, I use the Canon Pro9000 and 9500 for my professional printing. I know many people think "Epson", but in the last 5 years, Canon has made many, many strides in the photo printing market, very reputable reviewson places like the "Photo-i", DP Review, Steve's, Robgalbraith and luminous landscape reallyelevate this two printers. Canon has lead now, for the last two years, in the area of droplet size (1 picolitre printers, at 9600x2400DPI !!!), and overall resolution (DPI). Canonhits the markwith their best, and I believe thebest formulated "dye" based inks, with theChromalife 100 which gives fade resistance at the 100 year mark, in an album, 30-40 years framed (but out in the open), and actually another test that many other printer manufactures don't do, which is, and how I like to say, who of us don't tack up a picture on the refridgerator? Also, with all of the new, professional papers, like from hannenmulle, and a direct front feeder for the heavy "Museum Etching" paper actually makes you "feel" like you have a piece of "artwork" in your hand, due to the thickness of that particular paper.

JMO - thanks for letting me get in my 2cents.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote