Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:16 PM   #11

dafiryde-

Well, this is an excellent time to purchase a DSLR camera, particularly if you can possibly take advantage of the Pentax Rebate Program which covers sales through 09/30. Did you have a particular DSLR camera in mind, so that we can be much more specific in our recommendations.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:18 PM   #12

well my first slr was a canon ae1

but switched to minolta when they came out with the maxxum 7000, auto focus was a great welcome, ever since then i stuck with minolta and changed as fast as the models came, my first and last digital slr was the maxxum 5D, loved it, but got a price for the whole system that i could not have refused.

i got the canon s5is cause i was tired of lugging around all that stuff

i must say the s5 does takes amazing pics but as i said before it misses that extra sting the slr gives

i am farmilar with the minolta line which is now sony, but i find the canon fits in my hand like a toy, but yet photographers talk highly of canon. ( notice i am leaving out nikon, i cant afford nikon :blah

so i am in a position to start over, and really need some help on deciding,:?

sony a 100 or canon xti

sony a 700 is out of my price range:sad:

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 3:39 AM   #13
Super Moderator

As mentioned by a couple of people previously how a camera feels is going to be important in the long run. I would seriously check out the Pentax K10D as you don't have any lenses now as I think you will find this very comfortable to work with. Downside is there are not a huge amount of lenses available in AF but loads and loads for MF.

If you are adamant that you want one of the two above then I would get a clear picture of what you want from the camera and decide if you can cope with something that does not feel overly great in the hand (do check out how the XTi feels with battery grip added) and go from there.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 5:51 AM   #14

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
As mentioned by a couple of people previously how a camera feels is going to be important in the long run. I would seriously check out the Pentax K10D as you don't have any lenses now as I think you will find this very comfortable to work with. Downside is there are not a huge amount of lenses available in AF but loads and loads for MF.

If you are adamant that you want one of the two above then I would get a clear picture of what you want from the camera and decide if you can cope with something that does not feel overly great in the hand (do check out how the XTi feels with battery grip added) and go from there.
Actually great advise. You mentioned weight as a reason for not using a DSLR. Pentax has some very nice pancake primes you may grow to love. Very compact and quite light. System for system, Pentax gives great value.

Another system to look at if weight is an issue is Olympus. The E410 is small and its kit lenses are super light and compact and very good as far as kit lenses go. They will give 28-300mm range (in 35mm equiv terms). The 2x multiplier makes a difference when using longer focal lengths. The E510 is slightly larger and more traditional and adds in body stabilization.

I'm just throwing this into the mix for consideration. Pentax makes great primes, Olympus makes great zooms.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:08 AM   #15

in the pentax k10D they mention weather resistant body

do they mean it will handle slightly dusty conditions like the beach, and slight wetting conditions like fromrain
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:28 AM   #16

dafiryde-

Well, the Sony A-100 will make you feel very much at home because it is so very much like the KM 5D. There are a few differences, but the control layout is very familiar, right down to on-off switch.

My only qualm about the A-100 is that it is somewhat ISO limited. Meaning that as the ISO is increased, you begin to see noise fairly fast. At the lower ISO settings it is quite good. The KM 5D handled ISO increases much better due its imager having fewer pixel sites. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:02 PM   #17

so far i like what i have read about the pentax k10D

does any one out there own this with the tamron 18-250 if so please tell me how they match up:?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:12 PM   #18

I have the K10 but not the Tamron 18-250. I started out with the kit lens because it was so cheap, and don't feel any burning desire to upgrade to a better lens in this focal length - I have a number of other lenses at longer focal lengths. Since I like sharp pictures, I tend to distrust zoom lenses that cover such a big range - from what I've read, the 18-250 is better than most older lenses (though it isn't the fastest lens in the world). If you are going to be using thelens indoors a lot, this is probably not your best option.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:16 PM   #19

how sharp and good is the kit lens

for the k 10 D what lens would you recomend 18- what
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:04 AM   #20

dafiryde-

I have used and own both the the Sigma and Tamron 18-200mm lenses and I have shot with a friend's Tamron 18-250mm lens. I very much like the advantage of not having to change lenses all the time, or when it is too time consuming and you end up missing the shot. IMO the Tamron 18-250mm lens is a excellent performer.

As mtngal pointed out it is a slower or dimmer lens at the long end of its zoom range. However, at least for me that is a compromise that I am willing to make to have the larger convenience of a long zoom, and the ease of not changing lenses repeatedly. Have a nice day.

Sarah Joyce