Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:11 PM   #21

It really is a personal choice - all photography is a compromise of some sort or another. I happen to use the kit lens all the time for anything wider than 50mm - it meets my needs which is outdoors and mostly landscapes. If you shoot indoors, you might prefer the 16-45 f4 since it is a faster lens, or (if money isn't a major concern) the new DA*16-50 f2.8. If I really want something faster than the kit lens (and it isn't particularly fast, either) I happen to have a 25+ year old M 24mm 2.8 that I'll use.

My personal choices are toward the longer end of the focal length. At the moment my camera bag has 4 lenses in it - the kit lens, a Pentax DA*50-135 f2.8, a Vivitar Series One 105mm macro and an A*300 f4. I haven't particularly missed having the 135-200 focal lengths covered (I used to use a DA 50-200). If I do later on I'll probably break down and get an old Kiron 80-200 lens fixed (oil on the aperture blades). I just have a hard time with the idea that it would cost me around $75 to get it fixed, and the lens goes for something like $30 on ebay when they come up (but the glass in mine is in excellent shape).

I'm torn between the idea of using the Tamron 18-250 or a two lens set of the kit lens and the DA 50-200. I don't happen to know anyone who uses the Tamron so haven't formed any opinions of it yet. There are advantages both ways - the kit and DA50-200 might be a less expensive option with the various rebates that Pentax has been offering, but less convenient in you now have two lenses instead of one.

If your primary purpose is low light/indoors than I think there are much better, though more expensive options.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 2:21 PM   #22
Administrator

Remember, the K10D is a larger and heavier camera. So, if you didn't want to lug a KM Maxxum 5D around, the Pentax K10D would be worse. ;-)

But, a larger camera is sometimes easier to hold and use, depending on the lens size and weight and the conditions you're using one in (since you have more surface area to hold on to, and the extra weight of the camera body can help with balance, depending on lens size/weight).

I'd also check out the new K100D Super. Personally, I think the 6MP models have still got the 10MP models for image quality overall. Make sure to see the sample images.

Pentax K100D Super

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:24 PM   #23

I completely agree with Jim - I have boththe K10 and the K100and up until recently shot with both cameras interchangeably. As far as basic image quality for outdoor shots - the image quality depends far more on the lens used rather than the camera (I've resized full frame pictures taken with both cameras and posted them here - without looking at the exif information you wouldn't be able to tell them apart). The K100 has less noise at higher ISO speeds. The K10's extra MP come in handy mainly if you need to do significant cropping, though it's most useful with sharper, more expensive lenses. I'm still more of a fan of the 6 mp sensor than I am the 10.

The best thing to do is handle them both in a store. I can tell you that at the moment I'm using the K100 pretty much exclusively due to tennis elbow and have been happily snapping away, happy that I have a really nice, lighter camera to depend on (I probably miss having a second body handy more than the extra features on the K10). If you have big hands, you might prefer the K10 - but remember how you'll feel at the end of a day walking on vacation with it around your neck (or in and out of a camera bag).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:28 PM   #24

thanks for your reply

Jim c dont get me wrong. what i ment with the 5D and lugging all that weight around was i started off with one lens and in no time, my bag had 4 lenses and a flash and a this and a that and a those

i had owned a tamron 28-300 with the 5D and found that i very rearily used between 200-300 yet tihs lens did get good confirm focus in low light

but i am starting over, i do like what i read in the k10 d having a weather resistant body so i am trying to get only one lens

so far i have narrowed it down to eitherthe kit lens 17-55 or the tamron 18-250

looked at a lot of my old pic and realised i rearly went over 100mm

an can not find a lens that will cover from 18-105 or close to in pentax mount

what about the K10d with the sigma 18-50 2.8 lens ?

does pentax make a flash unit that goes with the k 10 d

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:49 AM   #25
Administrator

Any lens choice is a compromise (size, weight, brightness, focal range, optical quality, and more).

A brighter lens (larger apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers) is going to be larger and heavier for a given focal range (they have to be larger in order to let more light in). ;-)

So, take that into consideration when shopping.

As for the newer Ultra Zoom type lens designs, they are nice for convenience. But, in order to make a lens with that much focal range from wide to long, the design is usually more complex and you're going to have a few optical compromises (typically more barrel and pincushion distortion, vignetting, edge softness, chromatic abberations, and other undesirable traits compared to a lens with less ambitious design goals).

Most of the newer lenses like that are also designed specifically for a dSLR with an APS-C size sensor. That way, they can be smaller and lighter for a given focal range (since the image circle doesn't need to be as large). That's good from a size and weight perspective. But, you don't get the overlap in the image circle you do with a lens designed for a 35mm camera. So, optical quality needs to be higher to prevent things like edge softness and vignetting with some designs.

But, there is something to be said for convenience. So, you'll have to decide if having multiple lenses for the best quality is important or not. If you're not printing or viewing images at larger sizes anyway, you may not care about the differences and prefer an all-in-one type solution. Some of the newer designs are improving. For example, I've seen users comment that the new Tamron 18-250mm lens is a big improvement over the older 18-200mm for center sharpness.

No one lens is going to be a perfect choice for all users.

Quote:
does pentax make a flash unit that goes with the k 10 d
Yes, you'll see some external flash models discussed on page 3 of Steve's Pentax K10D Review

Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:29 PM   #26

JimC thanks for the reply, you were always a big help, God bless you.

earlier this month i took my son up to florida we went to four theme parks and i cried everytime i saw some one with a digital slr around their neck, and it seems at least 2 out of 3 had a slr, but i had my canons5 and took well over 500 pics, so you see now which i am anxcious to get back one . but this time i kind of know what i am looking for

after i came back home and went thru my 500 + pics i realised on an average i shot between 6mm and 12mm ( 36mm to 72mm in conversion ) so most likely will look for a lens in that area

i know i started this trend between sony and canon, 99% of the slr uses back home uses canon if they have money or nikon if they have real money, i always used minolta who is now sony but did not like viewers reviews on different forums that the a100 was more noisey than the 5D ( but that was not really an issue as i always tend to stay at the lowest iso possible which was usually 100 or 200 )

but Mark 1616 asked me to check out the Pentax k 10 d and i like what i read about it having an weather resistant body, as in this island its eritherhot sun which brings plenty dust or rain which brings plenty rain and actually back in around 1980 i visited canada and my brother in law lent me his pentax K 1000 which in those days if you owned one we were considered a big time photographer

so i am looking at the pentax k 10 d and sigma 18-50 2.8 lens,,( i like the pentax 16-50 2.8 lens but my wife would kill me at that price, ) i was wondering about the dedicated flash as i was not seeing it on B&H nor Amazon web site who are the 2 people i buy from, but got a little worried in steves review when he mentioned that,it does not have a standard pc flash sync port, but will have to use a optional hot shoe adaptor, but yet in the aerial view of the camera does show a hot shoe with contact points. i got a bit lost with this

Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:43 PM   #27
Administrator

Yes, it's got a hot shoe. It just doesn't have a PC Sync Port. You can get an adapter if you want to use a different type of flash system with it.

As for the weather proofing, I wouldn't try to use it outside in the pouring rain without protection. Although it does have some weather sealing, you don't want to subject it to any more moisture than you have to. It may be just fine. But, I would try to keep it away from the weather if possible in case of seal failure.

Also, the lens you use could be a weak area (a lens that is not weather sealed could allow moisture in).

But, from the looks of the seals Pentax is using with the K10D, it is far better protected than other camera models you'll find in it's price range.

Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:52 PM   #28

Thanks JimC

i think i now remember, is a pc sync port the same as what they use to call a pc terminal

no i dont plan to use it in pouring rain, but do like the idea that it it will be protected from a slight unforsceen wetting

and i found the 360 flash in B&H web site supprised thouhg they did not have it listed in the camera acessory section

but is to now how to buy that lens without madame knowing the price to prevent:P

i some how have a good feeling on this system

Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:12 PM   #29
Administrator

Right. For example, Nikon calls their AS-15 hotshoe adapter a "Non-Dedicated PC Sync Terminal Adapter". See this listing for one at Adorama as an example of that:

http://www.adorama.com/NKAS15.html

Just be careful about trigger voltage if you use this type of adapter with a flash model that Pentax does not recommend for the camera, as excessive trigger voltage can damage a camera's electronics.

See this forum "sticky" post for details:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=53

You'll also see a Wein Safe-Sync adapter mentioned that gives you voltage protection so that you can use third party strobes with higher trigger voltages (and it has a hotshoe and a PC Sync Port):

If you want to use a Pentax Flash that is designed to work the the K10D off camera, Pentax makes a specialized off camera shoe and cords for that purpose (that way, the flash can communicate via the extra pins in the hotshoe with it). But, if you only need a hotshoe attached flash, you wouldn't need anything special for the flash models Pentax recommends for it to use them in the camera's hotshoe.

Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:23 PM   #30

Thanks again