Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:07 AM   #1

looking to go digital slr and stuck between these two

help
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2007, 3:55 AM   #2

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

help
OMG, there's no comparison! Go Canon, it's a full DSLR and the LENS system is theirs and not Zeiss. Not that is anything wrong with CZ, however, the lens on the Canon *IS* theirs! Right from the UD glass used in the lens to th rest of every little last detail. A couple of things stand out for me and perhaps you'll like them too.

First of all, iSAPS technology - (intelligent Scene Analysis based on Photographic Space) technology, which envisages the scene to be photographed and selects optimal settings of key functions.

Face-detection technology

Digic II - The processor, the HEART. 3fps, 27 frame burst!

Manual and "user-set", Color Temperature! That's professional!

The integrated cleaning system, AND the self-cleaning sensor unit!

Depth of Field preview button fires a modeling flash

ISO 100-1600!! and 3200 in EXTENDED MODE! HELL YEA!

iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 4:27 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Before making any recommendation it will most likely help to know your photographic experience, the sort of things you envisage shooting and where you might like your photography to go in the future.

When buying a dSLR you are not only looking at the body but you are also buying into a system and that system is where you are likely to spend most of your money with specific lenses and flash units. When it comes time to chance your body you are very likely to change manufacturers so it is important you choose right otherwise it can get very expensive (I know I changed about a year ago!!).

Can I ask why you have come down to those two and ruled out Nikon, Pentax and Olympus?

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 4:42 AM   #4
Super Moderator

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Face-detection technology

ISO 100-1600!! and 3200 in EXTENDED MODE!
Sorry to say from neither of these features are included in the XTi (well I'm sure about the latter, but not 100% on the former). The 30D is the lowest camera in the Canon range to have an extension to 3200 and I've not seen any reference to FD technology in any of the reviews (just had a quick look to be sure).
Old Sep 19, 2007, 4:53 AM   #5

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
OMG, there's no comparison!
Well yes, there is quite a lot to be said for either camera and the Sony shouldn't be dismissed using a list of features straight out of the Canon brochure.

Certainly the Canon has a host of features and an impressive performance. It doesn't offer spot metering and its ergonomics are not the best but that is something only you can make a judgement on by handling the camera and comparingit with the Sony. The noise levels in images from theCanon are possibly better than that of the Sony however that's probably because the in-camera processing makes the images softer. Image quality also depends on the lens you're going to use (obviously) and the kit lens that comes with the Canon is a bit of a dog. In fact it's the same lens that was being offered with the350D/XT. So if you do decide on the Canon body, invest in a better lens.

Despite what theearlier poster said, there areplenty of lenses available for the Sony via its Konica Minolta heritage and remember that because of its in-body anti-shake system you won't have to buy expensive lenses with image stabilisation.I also like the idea of the EyeStart AF that detects when the eye is near the viewfinder and activates the autofocus and the way the image on the LCD screen flips whenyou turn the camera from landscape to portrait aspect and back again. Personally I felt the camera shell feels flimsy with a cheap plastic, shiny exterior but its ergonomics are better than the Canon.

To my mind it really depends on whether you like the idea of in-camera shake reduction. If that's not important go for the Canon but get a decent lens.

If it were me, I'd choose neither and invest in a Pentax K10D/Samsung GX10.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 6:44 AM   #6

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

help
I'm wondering. The two cameras feel so different in the hands. Does one feel better than the other. This can be important so find a shop where you can handle both. The XTi is small and feels small in my hands, but I have big hands. If I were to choose Canon, the 30D is more but fits so much better.

Perhaps you can tell us what you like about the XTi and what you like about the alphato help us understand a bit more. Also what you intend to photograph.

Who makes the lenses means absolutely nothing to me. What quality and what price are MUCH more important. I have almost no experience with the Sony camera so I won't attempt comparisons. I've heard good things about the lenses (zeiss) but have heard they are pricey. I also concur that the Canon kit lens is not worth much.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:32 AM   #7
Administrator

Didn't you have a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D that you were sending to Precision to get fixed for a First Shot Black issue?

What happened to it?

The Sony DSLR-A100 is based mostly on the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. It's got a newer 10MP CCD, some minor control layout and cosmetic differences, and a few new features (for example Dynamic Range Optimization). But, it's mostly the same camera from an ergonomics, menu and function perspective.

If your 5D is fixed and working, I would not upgrade, unless you really need the higher resolution and don't plan to shoot at higher ISO speeds often. The 5D has lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased compared to the DSLR-A100. If I were going to upgrade from a 5D, I'd look at the newer DSLR-A700 instead (which gives you a lot more than switching to an A100 would).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:35 AM   #8
Super Moderator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Didn't you have a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D that you were sending to Precision to get fixed?

What happened to it?

The Sony DSLR-A100 is based mostly on the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. It's got a newer 10MP CCD, some minor control layout and cosmetic differences, and a few new features (for example Dynamic Range Optimization). But, it's mostly the same camera from an ergonomics and function perspective.

If your 5D is fixed and working, I would not upgrade, unless you really need the higher resolution and don't plan to shoot at higher ISO speeds often. The 5D has lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased compared to the DSLR-A100.
With that info, and assuming you have your body fixed then I would not look at moving to Canon, also the A100 is not a big enough upg to be worthwhile so look at the A700 (I think that is the correct one) when it comes out or just stay where you are. I had a 5D for a long time and only switched to Canon as I'm primarily a sports shooter and needed extra lens options and body performance which Canon offered.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:38 AM   #9
Administrator

The last I heard, Sony wanted you to send it back to Precision:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...765482#p765482

Did they not fix it for you?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:05 PM   #10

i got a great deal on my 5D locally

went and bought a canon S5IS due to its size

got great results from it

buttttt it some how does not have that sting the DSL has