Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:20 AM   #1

I recently had my Panasonic FZ50 stolen and am in the process of choosing a new camera. I used to be a film buff and had several bodies and lenses. Several years ago I went digital and bought a Fuji s7000. After a few years, I sold it and bought the Panasonic FZ50 for its Zoom capability, however its indoor and low light capabilities were lacking. I am considering a DSLR or the Fuji 9100. I do not like the fact that the 9100 does not have stabilization but it basically has everything else I need. I also understand that it does fairly well in lower light situations than some of its competition. I do like the idea of the interchangeable lenses that the Pentax has to offer and more flexibility but don't know if I can justify an extra $400-$500 dollars for a body and Maybe a Tamron 18-250 lens. I enjoy taking wildlife and landscape photo's including macro's of smaller bugs and animals,as well as the usual family snapshots. We also have a new grandbaby that may require a video every now and again but we have some smaller cameras that can stand in for that.

I was also curious if anyone has heard if Fuji will be replacing the S9100 in the near future????

any feedback would be appreciated

thanks
Litespd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:53 AM   #2

It sounds like the Fuji S9100 will do what you want, and it was just introduced barely a year ago (See http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...ID=NEWS_857418 ), so I think obsolescence is not looming.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:00 AM   #3

i have an S9100 and I find that at ISO 400 it's quite noisy and at ISO 200, it's noisy enough that someone who didn't know what camera was used would know a DSLR wasn't used. i bought a DSLR to make up for that. on the other hand, at ISO 100, it's okay although it definitely lets in less light than my 30D with a comparable lens.

pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:23 AM   #4

pcake wrote:
Quote:
i have an S9100 and I find that at ISO 400 it's quite noisy and at ISO 200, it's noisy enough that someone who didn't know what camera was used would know a DSLR wasn't used. i bought a DSLR to make up for that. on the other hand, at ISO 100, it's okay although it definitely lets in less light than my 30D with a comparable lens.
In Steve's review, he talks about the noise, but uses almost identical terms when discussing the Canon S5 IS, so maybe this is characteristic of the genre.

If the OP thinks that this might be an issue, perhaps a dSLR would be a better choice. But the Tamron 18-250 is a lot dimmer than the lenses on the S9100 and the S5 IS, so while it's focal length might suit you, it's maximum aperture might not work well for wildlife photography except under ideal conditions. And while it will focus down to 17.7 inches, the S9100 and the S5 IS will focus a lot closer.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:24 AM   #5

I am concerned about the noise at higher iso issues with the s9100. I do like to frequent caves likes Carlsbad and such and would like the ability to take uality photo's in them.

Concerning the K100d vs the K100d super. Is a dust reduction system worth extra expense?

Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:42 AM   #6

Litespd2000 wrote:
Quote:
I am concerned about the noise at higher iso issues with the s9100. I do like to frequent caves likes Carlsbad and such and would like the ability to take uality photo's in them.
Caverns probably epitomize the worst case indoor/low light scenario, and most caverns pohibit the use of flash. You'll probably need a tripod, as image stabilization probably won't be sufficient. And as I said, the Tamron 18-250 is pretty slow. It would probably come down to using an S9100 or S5 ISat f/2.8 and ISO 200, or the Pentax with the 18-250 at f/3.5 and ISO 400. You'll get noise either way. But with a tripod, you can use as slow a shutter speed as you need. So this probably shouldn't be a deciding factor.

And for dSLRs, there are better lenses for doing that, especially for aPentax dSLR, but then we're jacking up the price a bit.

Litespd2000 wrote:
Quote:
Concerning the K100d vs the K100d super. Is a dust reduction system worth extra expense?
The K100D (Regular) is an especially good deal right now, and dust on the image sensor is probably not as much of an issue as the advertisements would have us believe.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:49 AM   #7

Personally I do not believe a dust reduction system such as the one on the K100 Super is worth the addition $$. I have had my K100 for almost 1.5 years and have never had a problem with dust.

I do however think that a DSLR will give you a huge short term benefit in getting rid of the noise problem. I owned a Fuji S-9000 so I know what you are facing. And you would have much more capability in the long term through the features that any DSLR can offer and due to the interchangability of lenses.

Keep in mind that the Pentax Rebate program covers items purchased through 09/30, which makes the Pentax a bit of a cost saver. Yes, the Tamron 18-250mm is a good lens, and yes, TCav is very correct that it is a bit dim. However with the ability to increase ISO on the Pentax without the noise penalty that dimness can be overcome in part. The convenience of course is that one lens covers everything, and no lens changing is required. I have used an 18-200mm for a long time and had a lot of sucess with it. So if it were me I would hesitate to drop the Tamron 18-250mm option.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 9:51 AM   #8

I had a Pentax *ist DS. I also had a Fuji S9100. They were both good cameras. If you want a bridge camera that does well in low light, get the Fuji S6000fd. Yes, it uses only xD cards. Yes, it doesn't have the articulating LCD. Yes, it lacks a hot shoe for external flashes, but it's really good in low light. My brother had one and brought it over to take pidtures of fireworks on the fourth of July. I was quite impressed by its pictures. The Pentax K100d or Super will do better than either at higher ISO's. I like the stabilization on the newer Pentax DSLR's. It is fairly easy to clean the sensor of a DSLR.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:02 AM   #9

Another spec we've not mentioned is that the Pentax K100D (Regular & Super)uses a 6MP image sensor, as does the Fuji S6000, while the Canon S5 IS uses an 8MP sensor and the Fuji S9100 uses a 9MP sensor.

The image quality of each of these cameras is quite good (at lower ISO settings), but there's a lot to be said for being able to crop a large image file.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:14 AM   #10

I am looking at a Pentax K10d with kit lens for $699 after rebate. I think that would be a good platform to build on. It is only $100 more than the Super and offers 10mp and a sturdier build. Start with this then study the lenses.....

Do you think the k10D is a worthwhile choice over the 6mp k100d?