Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:19 AM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
When you said "The K100D has a bit of an advantage if you are doing a lot of telephoto or low light shots due to it's shake reduction, but compared to other shake reduction technologies it isn't the most effective ... ",and since the OP was asking for comments on the D40 and the K100D, I thought you were drawing a comparison between the sensor shift IS in the K100D and the optical VR in some of the lenses available for the D40.

And I chose to offer a differing opinion.
I apologize if the intention of my comments was misinterpreted. I was actually trying to make a comparison between the shake reduction of the K100D to no shake reduction at all. Since the OP expressed an interest in two of the most affordable DSLRs I assumed he wasn't going to be in the market for VR lenses.

When I said it wasn't as effective as other technologies, I meant that in a more specific sense rather than the broad sense of in-body VS in-lens, and the point of which was that there would likely be little perceivable difference when compared to the D40 without shake reduction.

As far as my own experience, there are times when I get consistently blurry shots at shutter speeds it seems should be no problem at all for the SR and it makes me wonder if it's really doing anything. Other times I am impressed by how well it works only to realize I forgot to turn it on. Generally it does seem to be an improvement, at least when not panning, but at best it's a 1 stop advantage, and it's effectiveness seems to vary daily.

As Mtngal points out, she found the opposite of my own experience to be true, and that leads me to wonder if, like with camera sensors, there exists inconsistencies in build quality among cameras of the same make. In my experience with the FZ30 the results I got were very similar to the results my friends got when using the same camera, which leads me to believe that Mtngal likely got one with a defective SR system. Likewise it seems possible that some K100Ds have more effective SR than mine. Therefore I can only offer opinions and conjecture, your actual experience may vary.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:25 PM   #12

The October '07 edition of Popular Photography has an article on Image Stabilization, in which they compare Sensor Shift IS (in the Olympus E-510, the Pentax K10D and K100D and the Sony A100) with optical IS (in some Canon, Nikon and Sigma lenses.)

Apparently, the K100D does not fare very well against the other sensor shift dSLRs, and, on average, optical IS outperformed sensor shift IS, though probably only slightly. But the best performing IS dSLR (Sony A100) was as good or better than most ISlenses.

See http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4615...the-shake.html
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:24 PM   #13

Thanks for all the advice everyone...

at this point I am thinking about going for the k100d, since it has a larger selection of lenses available.

Is the k110d the same as the k100d except for the lack of SR?
Jfserama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:44 PM   #14

Jfserama wrote:
Quote:
Is the k110d the same as the k100d except for the lack of SR?
Yes, it is the same as the K100D, but won't have the additions that the K100 Super has. It's a good camera, though (this is just my opinion) the K100's SR is worth the extra cost, especially since there isn't normally that much difference in price. If SR isn't high on your list of priorities (and it won't be for many people) and your budget is restricted, then the K110 is a good choice. Basic image quality will be the same.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 5:27 PM   #15

I read that there is a difference between the flash sync speeds on the d40 (1/500 of a second) and the K100D (1/180 of a second). What does that mean?
Jfserama is offline   Reply With Quote