Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:18 AM   #1

I grow a large number of hot peppers and like to document for things like species identification. I used an Olympus C5050 and was quite happy with it except for close focus on some very small flowers. I used Pentax film cameras years ago so bought the K10D thinking I could use the old lenses but mainly to have through the lens focusing. The pictures out of the camera are not as sharp as the Olympus and not wanting to take the time to process each picture, I went back to the Olympus but droped it on tile floor and broke it. Repair cost is over $200 ( This is second time I dropped it). I just bought a Cannon Powershot A630 ( $200) and it takes sharp pictures but has a major design flaw ( for me). The card access is in the battery compartment on the bottom of the camera so o check a picture I have to remove the camera from the tripod and conect to the computer which beside being a pain does not return the camera to the exact position ( I sometimes take 5 or 6 tries to get what i want. Luckily my wife wants this camera for work so now I'm looking for something to take the place of the old Olympus C5050. I don't need much over the 5MP but need to be able to get sharp close macro shots without a lot of hassle. Sorry for the long story and your patience.

JohnF

http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/peppers_2005

JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:35 AM   #2

Do you still have the Pentax K10D? Is it possible that your old lenses mightbe the source of the problem you had with it on your first try, and that one of Pentax's new macro lenses (either the http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_50or the http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_100 ) might provide satisfactory results?

If you already have this fine camera, perhaps just finding the right lens will solve your problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:45 AM   #3

JohnF wrote:
Quote:
.... bought the K10D thinking I could use the old lenses but mainly to have through the lens focusing. The pictures out of the camera are not as sharp as the Olympus and not wanting to take the time to process each picture, ...
I strongly suspect that the lack of "sharpness" from the Pentax dSLR compared to your Olympus digicam was due to a combination of the sharpness setting in the K10D and a smaller depth of field. There isn't much you can do about the depth of field except being more carefull about setting up the shot so there is more of the object/flower in the plane parallel to the sensor.

You can change the sharpness setting in the K10D (or any other dSLR). To figure out if this is the issue you can do some sharpening with your photo editor. If that solves your problem, experiment with the camera's settings until you get the results you want. Or use something like IrfanView to batch sharpen.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:13 PM   #4

I have the D-FA 100mm macro and it does seem the problem is me and not the Pentax and this winter I will learn all about it in the mean time I'm looking for a simple camera that will do what the Olympus C5050 did.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 7:06 PM   #5

JohnF-

You might be able to find a used Oly 5050 over on e-bay. However, this time please put a wrist strap on the camera, it will save you money. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:18 PM   #6

I know it makes me sound like an idiot but the second camera I broke I got on EBay. My wife thinks I need to wrap my cameras in foam rubber.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:23 PM   #7

JohnF wrote:
Quote:
I know it makes me sound like an idiot but the second camera I broke I got on EBay. My wife thinks I need to wrap my cameras in foam rubber.
... or just never take it off the tripod. :-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 8:42 PM   #8

And don't knock the tripod over
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade-

However, I simply went to e-bay an quickly found an Olympus C-5050 at $(US) 157.00. Why is that not a viable choice for you? Am I missing something here, or are you prone to pure BS (that is Bible Scholar, of course). Something is not really adding up here. And I think that the smell might,quite possibly come from a place that lies northeast of Boston.

Just wondering??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:07 AM   #10

Quite simple, Sarah. Reluctant to buy used with no warranty. I already know it would be costly to repair if need be. What possible motive for BS? I asked for suggestions for another camera that would meet my needs and have received none.